JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone remember this bumper sticker? Eerily prophetic...

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 3.42.39 PM.png

Did you mean the book or the film? Most Americans don't read so I'm guessing you are referring to the film.

I guess it depends on who you hang out with... everybody I know is a reader. I don't remember the timeline or what was going on at the time because I was raising a family and too busy to be political. I just remember the uproar. And I remember Reagan blabbing about mental health institutions. But IMO, whoever emptied out the hospitals it wasn't a good move. People that used to be committed are now part of the revolving door of the justice system (i can't believe they do well in jail or prison), or they are living on the streets.

As I've said before, my wife befriended a schizo that sued to be released from Pendleton hospital due to their heavy use of thorazine and the resultant tardive dyskenisia... it didn't end well.

Did the Emptying of Mental Hospitals Contribute to Homelessness?

My only fear is that this, with the red flag laws will basically mean that anyone with guns is mentally unstable so the govt. must red flag them. If you see something, say something.

I guess it depends on who you hang out with... everybody I know is a reader.
That was an attempt at humor.
But IMO, whoever emptied out the hospitals it wasn't a good move. People that used to be committed are now part of the revolving door of the justice system (i can't believe they do well in jail or prison), or they are living on the streets.
You'll get no argument from me on that.

Interesting bit from the source you provided:

"1969 Reagan reverses earlier budget cuts. He increases spending on the Department of Mental Hygiene by a record $28 million."

Reinforces my feeling that he gets scapegoated unfairly in the whole mess.

I agree the mental health system is broken and needs to be fixed.
However I really dont like throwing everyone with mental illness under the bus. Anxiety, depression, phobias, PTSD, etc. there are many forms of mental illness and for the most part, mentally ill people are not any more dangerous than anyone else. Many good people struggle with mental health issues and they dont deserve to lose there rights on top of it. Until someone starts making threats of violence, exhibiting violent behavior, or proves the cant control there actions, I think they should be considered innocent until proven guilty. :s0160:
We need to be very careful in this arena. They can use this to keep lots of people from owning/purchasing firearms that probably aren't mass murderers. This mindset will invite more legislation like i-1639 to discern your mental state before allowing firearm ownership. It may deter people from seeking any sort of mental health services for fear of losing their right to own or purchase firearms.

I quit going to VA counseling after O'bummer threatened to take veterans firearms for merely not being able to balance a checkbook. But my records are available, so I guess my right to own is at risk... I need a risk protection order on the government!!!

They're coming to take me away, ha ha... they're coming to take me away!!!

We need to be very careful in this arena. They can use this to keep lots of people from owning/purchasing firearms that probably aren't mass murderers. This mindset will invite more legislation like i-1639 to discern your mental state before allowing firearm ownership. It may deter people from seeking any sort of mental health services for fear of losing their right to own or purchase firearms.
I fear too that we will be painted with a broad brush. Will a DUI or a drunk and disorderly get you disarmed - even if you are not carrying? This is a real threat. The law, if we must have one at all, must be framed so as to cover only those with documented multiple and/or serious contacts with government or mental health agencies for mental health related reasons. Various diagnoses lead to patients hearing voices and occasionally those voices spur them to commit violence. Suicidal thoughts or action should be given particularly high priority, as each of the shooters and many "suicide by cop" individuals are a danger. We were taught that suicide = homicide, since, if their life means nothing to them, neither does yours. We see this played out in virtually all of the shootings.

Still, the idea of such laws gives me the creeps.

Firstly, lets stop with the self medicating of people with issues and lets get some real help!
Stop prescribing meds that don't help or balance these people and regulate more strictly where how and when meds are despenced and used!

Absolutely.

Mental illness and mentally deranged (if thats the right term) are two very different things... but not to a gun grabber.

A quick google search says 1 in 5 adults suffer from mental illness in America.

Like I said, we need to remember, anxiety, depression, phobias, PTSD, Seasonal Affective Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), etc. Are all diagnosed as mental illness. The gun grabbers would be more than happy to strip rights from these people for no just reason and with no due process.

Should a Veteran suffering PTSD be stripped of his/her rights? Should a person suffering anxiety or depression lose there right to defend themselves? Is a person that's unreasonably afraid of hights unfit to own a gun? What about someone with ADD/ADHD, are they a danger? The gun grabber would say yes.

"They" are looking for any and all reasons to disarm America. "They" do not care about the result. "They" are either in positions of power - or desire to be - and that is telling. The assumption is that a standing army will defend us. History proves the exact opposite and we would be flying the British flag if not for an armed citizen militia.

Standing armies do not librerate - they oppress.

My son has a diagnosis, so I have witnessed what it's like when he has a relapse. He would be completely incapable of planning, executing any kind of attack, let alone writing coherent 'manifestos' like the fascist garbage that shot up synagogues in Pittsburg and LA, Gilmore CA, ChristChurch NZ, El Paso TX...

I think that means the public also doesn't want people with mental health issues owning guns.

Only thing this 'grand' gesture by obama affected was veterans who had a person helping them with their gov't checks--those people haven't hurt anyone

I think that means the public also doesn't want people with mental health issues owning guns.

Trump didnt make it easier, fake news. Its been illegal since what, the 60s... for anyone adjunticated mentally ill to buy a gun, and still is. Funny how the media doesn't mention that.

Absolutely.

Mental illness and mentally deranged (if thats the right term) are two very different things... but not to a gun grabber.

A quick google search says 1 in 5 adults suffer from mental illness in America.

Like I said, we need to remember, anxiety, depression, phobias, PTSD, Seasonal Affective Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), etc. Are all diagnosed as mental illness. The gun grabbers would be more than happy to strip rights from these people for no just reason and with no due process.

Should a Veteran suffering PTSD be stripped of his/her rights? Should a person suffering anxiety or depression lose there right to defend themselves? Is a person that's unreasonably afraid of hights unfit to own a gun? What about someone with ADD/ADHD, are they a danger? The gun grabber would say yes.

My fear will be the person(s)/politician(s) who says.....

"Forget the psycho babble. I'm reasonable. I'm a Democrat and a member of Everytown For Gun Safety. So, I know what's reasonable. I'll make the decisions here."

Remember....
NRA Members are members of a "Terrorist Organization". And as a member, you're a Terrorist. If you're a Republican. It's because you hate ___fill in the blank(s)____. I don't have to listen to you. You need to be, "RED FLAGGED". Talk to the hand.

Talk-to-the-Hand-1.jpg

LOL.

But know something?
I don't think that it's all that far off in our future. :eek:

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show