JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry about the thread drift. :D
I'm going with it for one comment only. As the libs start throwing feces at each other may I recommend joining the DNC, yep democrat nati…, Donate $1 and you will get multiple daily emails from all kinds of senators, reps, pres candidates. It's going to be a hoot. I joined before the last election. $1 all day. Know your enemy!

AA2F4E9D-0DEB-438D-9DD1-44C6F95DE7E3.jpeg Thought I would just add this. People are so hell bent on gun violence/mass shootings I wonder what the total numbers are on that compared to this. Im not saying shootings or mass shootings are to be taken lightly. Just Thought I would add this for thought. The pic is from Twitter talking about how police we're out cracking down on distracted drivers.

Many more die from Medical malpractice but mums the word. :rolleyes:

Seems like you are leaning toward regulated medical malpractice. But doctors, like police are approved by the state. It doesn't look well when state sanctioned people are allowed to kill us, so the burden or standard of them committing murder is much higher than us.

Unrelated, I read somewhere that many people purposely go to the Oregon coast to commit suicide. You have to Google a specific way to find those stories. But, if that is true, not only is it bad for tourism maybe hotels should be doing bgc for depression.

No such thing as rope violence
No such thing as bridge violence
No such thing as exhaust fumes violence
No such thing as suicide by gun violence

We don't have a gun/homelessness/drug problem. We have a lack of accessible mental health treatment resources. People commit suicide because of mental illness. People are homeless because of mental illness. People use drugs because of mental illness. We are doing NOTHING to change how we deal with mental illness. All of our time, energy, and money are spent of fighting over gun rights/confiscation.
Sometimes these are true. Some are homeless who are not mentally ill. (Many actually.) Frequently, people use drugs because... ...they like the feeling. People commit suicide for many reasons. Some, fully rational I would argue. Talking to these folks every work day lets you see that it isn't anything as clean cut as people think.

Working in mental health is a real eye opener in how much crap we as a society are told about mental illness. Are you aware that the mentally ill have a lower crime rate than the sane? They are much more likely to be a victim of a crime, but are less likely to commit them.

We have nowhere enough resources and beds. We have some folks who need a permanent home in institutions. And this may come across as harsh, but at what point is it cruel to force people to keep living. It is a touchy subject, and I have no answers, but I have to throw out the question. It is one that keeps me up at night sometimes.

Oregon's firearm fatalities by suicide actually make up over 80% if all firearm related deaths. That leaves a little less than 300 homicidesby firearm....over a 4 year data period. So, 75 per year statewide? Out of a state with a population of over 4 million?

Sounds like an epidemic to me... :rolleyes:

So 4 million+ population as of 2014....2300 "gun violence deaths"

Thats less than a quarter percent....:rolleyes:

It's more like 1/20th of a percent, but that 2300 number is over 5 years.

It's actually 1/100th of a percent OR roughly 11.9/100,000 people at the annual rate -- which also parallels the national average.

Nix the suicides (6/10ths) from those stats...Oregon(and the country for that matter) has quite the epidemic going on.:s0077:

However, still a ways to go until we get to Japan's suicide rate. Good thing Japan has some of the strictest firearms laws and regulations in the world, or imagine how much higher their suicide rate would be. Wait... That makes no sense:s0037:

I wonder how many of these so-called "gun violence" deaths involve long guns...err....I mean fully-semi assault weapons? Anyone take a guess. Considering that the national number is something like 400-500 related deaths a year in an entire nation of 325,000,000 population....I imagine Oregon's number has to be at least approaching double digits.

What about the children you say? 10% of all driving related deaths of children 15-19 y.o. are due to distracted driving. Perhaps we ought to make the minimum age to buy a cell phone @ 21. Shoots, let's make the driving age 21. If a cell phone is stolen and the thief later crashes a car resulting in injury, death or property damage, the original owner of the cell phone ought to be held liable...That ought to help, yeah?

Speaking of driving? Imagine how many lives could be saved if we mandated that all cars could not go more than 30 mph. Thousands of lives could potentially be saved. Think about it.

While we're at it, perhaps their ought to be a background check to make sure that someone isn't accident-prone before they can leave their house to go out in public.....

Anyways, I'm off to a rally to ban Ice Cream....'cause you know, Diabetes may actually be considered to be approaching actual epidemic-status.

It's more like 1/20th of a percent, but that 2300 number is over 5 years.

It's actually 1/100th of a percent OR roughly 11.9/100,000 people at the annual rate -- which also parallels the national average.

Nix the suicides (6/10ths) from those stats...Oregon(and the country for that matter) has quite the epidemic going on.:s0077:

However, still a ways to go until we get to Japan's suicide rate. Good thing Japan has some of the strictest firearms laws and regulations in the world, or imagine how much higher their suicide rate would be. Wait... That makes no sense:s0037:

I wonder how many of these so-called "gun violence" deaths involve long guns...err....I mean fully-semi assault weapons? Anyone take a guess. Considering that the national number is something like 400-500 related deaths a year in an entire nation of 325,000,000 population....I imagine Oregon's number has to be at least approaching double digits.

What about the children you say? 10% of all driving related deaths of children 15-19 y.o. are due to distracted driving. Perhaps we ought to make the minimum age to buy a cell phone @ 21. Shoots, let's make the driving age 21. If a cell phone is stolen and the thief later crashes a car resulting in injury, death or property damage, the original owner of the cell phone ought to be held liable...That ought to help, yeah?

Speaking of driving? Imagine how many lives could be saved if we mandated that all cars could not go more than 30 mph. Thousands of lives could potentially be saved. Think about it.

While we're at it, perhaps their ought to be a background check to make sure that someone isn't accident-prone before they can leave their house to go out in public.....

Anyways, I'm off to a rally to ban Ice Cream....'cause you know, Diabetes may actually be considered to be approaching actual epidemic-status.

In Oregon, suicides actually make up 4/5 of deaths by firearm.

Canada even has a higher rate but they use pills & suffocation. The tool is irrelevant.
They blame the tool rather that fixing the issue.

In Oregon, suicides actually make up 4/5 of deaths by firearm.

I'm sure that will change now that hemp isn't banned anymore. Rope ought to be more accessible now.

Yes, suicide is not a joking manner, but bubblegum these motherbubbleguming gungrabbers. I would love to give them a taste of their own medicine to show them the idiocy of their (ill) logic.

Hopefully they are working with the guys at walk the talk.

My biggest problem with this news story was the title. The mental health organizations that work with walk the talk don't want guns and mental health to be equated. The reason being it keeps people with real issues from coming forward with their issues if they own guns because of fear.

On a side note, I hear keto is good for depression. Eat the meat, lots of the meat.

Also shooting guns has been shown to help with ADHD and low testosterone. As an aging male I find eating meat and shooting guns to be great for the wife and I in our relationship.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews