JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Sixty percent of men who die by suicide use a firearm, so it's something we need to get our hands around and figure out in trying to prevent suicide -- how we can address the lethality of firearms in taking people's lives?"

ANSWER: Legalizing euthanasia and assisted suicide would dramatically trim those numbers. It would also address the needs of the other 40% of males who chose another means to end their life that may be harmful to others.

The use of a firearm means the user really wants to die at that moment. Euthanasia and assisted suicide would give the person time for sober reflection on their decision to end their life.

I believe we have a right to life, but society tells us we do not have a right to decide the manner, time, and place of our death - unless it is a loved pet.

No statistics to back this up; see Oregon Public Health site; most gun violence is suicide and the recommendation is early detection of at risk persons and not gun control; fbi identifies most gun violence as the result of gang shootings. Oregon has one of the lowest gun-homicide rates in the country. Early detection of suicide at risk persons occurs in the health care setting and most physicians and clinics obtain "checklist" presenting problems for depression or suicide ideas. Just sayin'. Police needs to be driven by evidence based research not political agenda; the latter is the force of the left.

In Oregon, suicides actually make up 4/5 of deaths by firearm.

"Sixty percent of men who die by suicide use a firearm, so it's something we need to get our hands around and figure out in trying to prevent suicide -- how we can address the lethality of firearms in taking people's lives?"

ANSWER: Legalizing euthanasia and assisted suicide would dramatically trim those numbers. It would also address the needs of the other 40% of males who chose another means to end their life that may be harmful to others.

The use of a firearm means the user really wants to die at that moment. Euthanasia and assisted suicide would give the person time for sober reflection on their decision to end their life.

I believe we have a right to life, but society tells us we do not have a right to decide the manner, time, and place of our death - unless it is a loved pet.

Oregon already has assisted suicide,it is, in fact the first state to do so. This is a control issue. After they decide who may or may have access to guns (important people who can afford to have security or get it free from the taxpayers like in California) they will start to want to control what foods you can buy at the grocery store because there is an epidemic of obesity and all the people that die from being overweight. With all foods having a UPC code it's actually quite easy to implement from a technical basis. You get issued a "health card" that links to a database just like your credit card and viola! no ice cream for you! You will have to purchase red meat in a back alley somewhere. Don't think for one second that this isn't a wet dream to

Just like guns the medical community knows absolutely jack sheite about nutrition. When I religiously followed their advice my weight ballooned to almost 400 lbs, became diabetic,and always had energy and stomach issues. When I told their nutritionists to STFU and started paying attention to my body I started losing weight - down 100 lbs so far. Turns out I need to eat a high fat, moderate protein, and low carb diet - the exact opposite of what they still push.

If the medical community doesn't understand something as basic as nutrition to the human body, why the hell do they think they have any right to meddle in my right to defend myself? Their job is NOT to manage my rights or decisions but to heal me when needed. They need to stick to their lane and keepthe eff out of mine.

Oregon already has assisted suicide,it is, in fact the first state to do so.

It appears that the agenda is more about limiting firearms rather than assisting a person with an end-of-life issue. I didn't know that Oregon had physician-assisted suicide. It probably costs too much. If so, it should be FREE to lower the numbers of firearms used to terminate life.

It appears that the agenda is more about limiting firearms rather than assisting a person with an end-of-life issue. I didn't know that Oregon had physician-assisted suicide. It probably costs too much. If so, it should be FREE to lower the numbers of firearms used to terminate life.

It's about control - some people will always have the arrogance to think that they know how to make your decisions better that you do and that they should have the power to do so. Tyranny is always lurking somewhere.

Oregon passed the "Death with Dignity" act in 1994. In 1990 Jack "Dr. Death" Kevorkian assisted the first suicide in the US in Oregon in the case of 54 year old Alzheimer's patient Janet Adkins.

It's more like 1/20th of a percent, but that 2300 number is over 5 years.

It's actually 1/100th of a percent OR roughly 11.9/100,000 people at the annual rate -- which also parallels the national average.

Nix the suicides (6/10ths) from those stats...Oregon(and the country for that matter) has quite the epidemic going on.:s0077:

However, still a ways to go until we get to Japan's suicide rate. Good thing Japan has some of the strictest firearms laws and regulations in the world, or imagine how much higher their suicide rate would be. Wait... That makes no sense:s0037:

I wonder how many of these so-called "gun violence" deaths involve long guns...err....I mean fully-semi assault weapons? Anyone take a guess. Considering that the national number is something like 400-500 related deaths a year in an entire nation of 325,000,000 population....I imagine Oregon's number has to be at least approaching double digits.

What about the children you say? 10% of all driving related deaths of children 15-19 y.o. are due to distracted driving. Perhaps we ought to make the minimum age to buy a cell phone @ 21. Shoots, let's make the driving age 21. If a cell phone is stolen and the thief later crashes a car resulting in injury, death or property damage, the original owner of the cell phone ought to be held liable...That ought to help, yeah?

Speaking of driving? Imagine how many lives could be saved if we mandated that all cars could not go more than 30 mph. Thousands of lives could potentially be saved. Think about it.

While we're at it, perhaps their ought to be a background check to make sure that someone isn't accident-prone before they can leave their house to go out in public.....

Anyways, I'm off to a rally to ban Ice Cream....'cause you know, Diabetes may actually be considered to be approaching actual epidemic-status.
I see several House and senate bills for the 2020 session right here in this post. These are exactly the kind of bills that we need to push back on them. Show them how asinine some, no, most of their legislation is... Now to recruit senators and representatives to actually help craft and introduce such legislation...

One way to help with the free is no more narcan administered by first responders, if they overdose, let them go... Natural attrition...

You know what Democrats can do right here and right now to help with gun owners mood and keep them from getting depressed...

Stop trying to pass gun control.

That's right, overnight gun owners mood will improve ten fold. Also if they could stop treating us as second class citizens and shaming us for exercising a constitutionaly protected right that too would help with our mood.

And if they removed all the infringements they placed on us already I can guarantee instead of being low in spirits they will see extremely happy people with guns.

But, politicians like creating a problem and then applauding themselves while they claim to fix what they broke. And gullible taxpayers who don't know any better and don't see that they contributed to the problem think they are miracle workers.

The lawyer lobbyists' influence is too strong in the states' legislatures and Congress to move effectively toward addressing the real problems of criminal gun violence because the lawyers are a big part of the problem.

We will know that politicians mean business when we see them take actions that impact crime and criminals rather than the victims of crime or the general public.

We need laws that force prosecutors to prosecute criminals with gun-related felonies rather than worry about their conviction rates and offer a plea bargain. Next, the judges who make better social workers need to step away from the bench and let a real jurist take the seat.

Put some teeth in the laws and deny bail to criminals charged with using a firearm to commit a felony. Also, these same felons should be denied parole.

Last Edited:
If someone wants to off themselves why should I care? I mean really, this idea of trying to "save lives" is just silly. Humans die. That's a fact. So if they choose to ventilate themselves then that's on them. Not us gun owners.

Oregon's physician-assisted suicide law is only applicable to people who have multiple doctors saying they will die within something like 6 months, and from newspaper accounts it's somewhat of an onerous process. End of life doctor assisted suicide will not prevent many firearm suicides. If you want to prevent firearm suicides, you have to legalize suicide for everyone - if humane methods are available to all adults over, say age 30 (yeah, I'm a bigot against young'uns) no questions asked at the pharmacy counter there would be very few firearm suicides - most people would use the humane method.

Usually, when Dr. assisted suicide is put before the voters it passes, yet many people oppose it. Most prefer to have the option of ending horrendous pain and suffering; or just low quality of life. I consider it to be a Creator given right exactly like the right to self defense. In both cases, if you don't want to do it, if you believe it is wrong, don't do it. Easy. If you prefer, go out in a long protracted heinous fight against some disease; or if attacked by thugs, don't resist, just let 'em beat the living crap out of you. You should be free to choose, but many want to deny people that choice. It's weird.

Personally I think it's a continual George Soros/UN funded attempt to disarm us and give up our sovereignty. One World Gov't. They hate our freedom.

Personally I think it's a continual George Soros/UN funded attempt to disarm us and give up our sovereignty. One World Gov't. They hate our freedom.

Diversity divides. You can't be conquered if you are united. That's why diversity is an agenda item in the Public Indoctrinoriums.

It's about control - some people will always have the arrogance to think that they know how to make your decisions better that you do and that they should have the power to do so. Tyranny is always lurking somewhere.

Exactly so. The statist, regardless of political affiliation, follows ideologies based in emotions - arrogance, fear and envy.

The freeman is a threat to an orderly society; disarmament of the individual is the first step to utopia and controlled thought, via controlled speech, is next.

The ultimate objective is of course veiled in good intentions, but the result is always the same.

According to FBI.gov African-Americans commit 52% of US homicides. Per the US Census Bureau African-Americans make up 13% of the population. It's the 800 lb gorilla in the room the PC, gun grabbing libs refuse to acknowledge.

I'm not a racist just a realist.

If you look at the data it's black men between 16-35 that cause the high murder rate. They are approximately 3% of the US population but commit 40% of homicides.

If you look at the data it's black men between 16-35 that cause the high murder rate. They are approximately 3% of the US population but commit 40% of homicides.

And those homicides occur in the inner city wet dreams of big city government. Places with high taxes (and the resulting lack of jobs), rent control (and the resulting slums, slum lords, and projects), heavy gun control (and the resulting lack of the ability of citizens to protect themselves), liberal public education (and the resulting lack of hireable job skills). It's not skin color, but a forced culture of crime that happens in large cities.

It doesn't matter how many gun injuries there are nor how many deaths there are by a sick shooter. Every time there is an incident of a crazy person shooting people, the higher up idiots what to take guns away from law abiding citizens that have aright to have guns to protect themselves. Now the theme is to make honest citizens into criminals with all the stupid laws created against honest citizens.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews