JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is no requirement to do a mental health evaluation.
Mental health checks are part of NICS in WA. There is no evaluation.
Frankly I'm surprised at how many WA gun owners posted with something other than certainty.

Probably has something to do with the poorly written OP. Still not entirely sure what he was trying to say.

OP-
I just got mine in December..No mention of such mental evaluation,and I looked like an utter derelict the day I went in.
(More so than usual)
Unless they include it in the standard check somehow,I think you misunderstood.
And I don't give a crap if YOU believe ME.

:s0140: Wonder if she had to take one to get the job?

This is a product of her fantasies, or she was attempting to poke you in a soft spot.

My guess is that you could figure out how she votes just from that statement alone.

There is NO requirement to submit to a mental health evaluation to get a CPL in WA State. None. Zilch, zip, nada. If someone says that there is such a requirement, ask them to quote the RCW/WAC/Court ruling that brought this about.

The wife and I are applying for CCP in March--long waiting list for this. Don't get me started.
Anyway, I was at the Kent, WA (King County) police station yesterday, Feb 1. I asked the person about applying and what paperwork was necessary, (I already knew).
There was no mention of any mental health issues paperwork.
But I have learned that all the city employees do not have all the answers--but they think they do.
My recommendation is just call at a different time to get a different person.

Jake

Here's how it works...

If you don't have a CPL, then the law enforcement agency has to do the background check for a handgun purchase. In that process, one of the checks they do is on a mental health database. If nothing turns up--they're done.

No--YOU don't have to have a mental health check performed. Someone was just giving OP half the story. That's all.

There is no state law requiring a mental check for a firearm purchase in WA. WA is a MUST issue if you pass a fingerprint/FBI background check, more detailed than NICS, and a local sheriff doesn't get to make up their own rules. Either the sheriff's office made this up, or the OP has.

Agreed. No such law exists.

Must be a new thing. A couple of yrs ago it was just paperwork and $55
That's what you think! :) Part of the background in WA State is a mental health check through DSHS. The scary thing is that someone may have been ITA'd numerous times, yet still be eligible to possess a firearm. Even if you ever have a firearm confiscated for "safekeeping", in order to get it back you go through the same check as when you get a CPL through your local LE agency.

That's what you think! :) Part of the background in WA State is a mental health check through DSHS. The scary thing is that someone may have been ITA'd numerous times, yet still be eligible to possess a firearm. Even if you ever have a firearm confiscated for "safekeeping", in order to get it back you go through the same check as when you get a CPL through your local LE agency.
I know that things do change, and I could be wrong--but, could you quote a source for this?
To the best of my knowledge, WA State runs NCIC, WACIC/WASIS and III (Triple-I) for background checks on concealed pistol licenses. When did this change? I would think that a release of information like this would fall squarely under HIPAA--meaning theyt don't get it without a court order.

I do believe that involuntary commitments are entered into Triple-I. Maybe that's what you're referring to.

I am thinking some bureaucrat decided to verbalize their own wording about what was involved in the BGC/etc. so make it sound that way.

Since they didn't schedule an appt. with a mental health professional/etc., this probably meant they were just checking available records.

You have to remember, many people who go into public service do so because it gives them a sense of power over others, and/or they eventually develop that attitude. I knew people in the military that were like this. Hell, I know people who go into management in private industry because they like that feeling.

Generally, IMO, it is because they lack that confidence in themselves - so they seek what is missing inside by seeking the power over others.:rolleyes:

Are you talking about Obama? Thought so, thanks for sharing

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads