JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shopping run? One spare. Anything over fifty miles from the house? Three. Anything over a hundred and more are stowed in the vehicle. Usually three for every additional fifty-miles past that initial hundred.

I should also add that I don't just carry a spare mag for the extra ammo, although that is certainly part of it. But mags can take a giant crap on you and that could be catastrophic. I'm in the camp that you should always have at least one spare mag on you at all times. YMMV. :)

Safariland horizontal mag pouches work fantastic on the belt line.

Daily life is 1 spare mag regardless of what I choose to carry big or small. Trips away from the house more than just typical errands, for example, for the weekend, I bring a "bag of fun."

I always bring one spare mag at the least. Typically the larger capacity ones as a backup reload; but on something like my XDS Mod. 2 OSP I carry with the extended 9 round mag instead of 7 round mag with pink tension. I'm new to carrying. To be completely honest at the moment I carry without a mag in, so printing is never a problem with my subcompact. I know it adds time but the peace of mind knowing the chances of an negligent discharge drop to around zero. Eventually I will learn to carry with a mag in; I was watching a Glock store video about carrying. Might try a method they used of removing the mag, make sure it is clear, pull the trigger but leave it unracked, reseat the magazine. It's a learning process for sure. May or may not be easier with a hammer-fired gun or one with a thumb safety.

Within known parts of my city: one in the G19 with Hornady Critical Duty 9mm with one in the chamber.

Parts unknown (there be dragons): an extra on my belt in a Glock OEM mag pouch.

It depends on overall capacity, usually. Revolvers I carry 2 loose speed strips and 3 in a tin on me, and a few more in my bag because they're small. Small capacity pistols with small mags I'll carry two or three. 1911s, I carry three outside of the one in the pistol. Outside of those, anything with a cap of ten or more, it's never more than three on me, and whether or not I have more than that in a bag depends on where I'm going and if that place is near a place where I either have more squirreled away or have access to some that may be owned by a trusted associate.

PXL_20201015_205742462.jpg

Daily, one reload. My 229 w/15+1 and a 17 round spare. Or SP101 with a spare speed loader.

If I go to the woods, it's the 101 with 2 reloads.

If I travel outside a 20 minute drive I take either my 500 with about 20 rds, or AR pistol with 4 mags. Depending where I'm going and what I'm doing.

For me it varies with the situation, but I always have at least one spare magazine.

Magazines do fail from time to time, and I know a person that lost the magazine in their carry gun and weren't aware of it until they unholstered at the end of the day.

It would be a major bummer to be without a spare if a leathal force situation caused you to pull your firearm only to realize upon firing you had a single shot semi!

I just carry the one but my girlfriend, who has neck problems and usually wears a neck brace and who's always with me, wears ten loaded 33's around her neck, much like the tribeswomen of Africa wear those neck rings.

In all seriousness , unlike my first post here....
I carry two extra magazines for my Series '70 Colt.

In regards to muzzle loaders...
It takes about 32 round balls to make a pound for my .54 Hawken rifle....
So 30 or so shots is kinda heavy with the lead* and powder to make the rifle go boom...:D
Andy

* Hmm...Heavy and lead....wow man heavy metal.....:s0022:

I always bring one spare mag at the least. Typically the larger capacity ones as a backup reload; but on something like my XDS Mod. 2 OSP I carry with the extended 9 round mag instead of 7 round mag with pink tension. I'm new to carrying. To be completely honest at the moment I carry without a mag in, so printing is never a problem with my subcompact. I know it adds time but the peace of mind knowing the chances of an negligent discharge drop to around zero. Eventually I will learn to carry with a mag in; I was watching a Glock store video about carrying. Might try a method they used of removing the mag, make sure it is clear, pull the trigger but leave it unracked, reseat the magazine. It's a learning process for sure. May or may not be easier with a hammer-fired gun or one with a thumb safety.

I don't want to derail this excellent thread, but IMHO you should train towards carrying not only with a seated magazine in the weapon but with a round in the chamber. That is once you've trained carrying that way and you feel ready. If you ever need that weapon, statistically you're not going to have the time to find your mag, load it, and rack the slide. There is only a very small minority of LEOs worldwide that carry an unloaded gun.

Just my .02 and I'm not trying to be a super critical bubblegum. When I first started carrying I carried with an empty chamber as well.

I don't want to derail this excellent thread, but IMHO you should train towards carrying not only with a seated magazine in the weapon but with a round in the chamber. That is once you've trained carrying that way and you feel ready. If you ever need that weapon, statistically you're not going to have the time to find your mag, load it, and rack the slide. There is only a very small minority of LEOs worldwide that carry an unloaded gun.

Just my .02 and I'm not trying to be a super critical bubblegum. When I first started carrying I carried with an empty chamber as well.

If we spoke from an evolutionary standpoint, people who carry without a mag in the gun or a round in the chamber would have died out from natural selection.

If I felt the need to go well heeled, it would be four mags (50 rounds each) for the PS90, and four (30 rd) mags for the Five Seven. Including the mag in the rifle and handgun, that would be 390 rounds (if I did my math right).

Personally I always carry two spare mags plus one in the gun. This is regardless of the pistol of choice (auto loaders) this is less for capacity and more for malfunction mitigation.

as mentioned above
One is none
Two is one
And three is better :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show