JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What was the idea combining it with the gas block instead of having it at the muzzle for longer sight radius? Did they just feel the average soldier wouldn't need it so they combined the two?
Because aperture sights are 12x better than open sights and it was a way to stick it to the commies and their AK.

lol

Because aperture sights are 12x better than open sights and it was a way to stick it to the commies and their AK.

lol
The aperture rear sight has nothing to do with location of front sight. The M14 and M1 Garand both had front sights towards the muzzle and a rear aperture sight. This thread was not an AK vs AR thread. However:

4EC54B55-472C-4412-A086-BFA2389978BF.jpeg F75272AD-0CD5-4841-ACF0-6117E0B14D36.jpeg

By the time one's personal performance is good enough that that a measureable issue, I expect that most would be using optics of some sort. Most, though - probably not all.
The competition shooters actually even take out the taper pins and use a set screw and glue for even better harmonics, as well as windage adjustments.
I'm in the optics camp... I don't have the eyes or the skill for open sights.

What was the idea combining it with the gas block instead of having it at the muzzle for longer sight radius? Did they just feel the average soldier wouldn't need it so they combined the two?

AR is by far the most experimented upon weapon in history, there were version that did have sights further forward near the end of the muzzle. There was even one that was equipped the M14 NM rear sight.

I was doing a AR ready last night. The M8 prototype was Stoner's predecessor to the AR-10 & AR-15 it had a muzzle positioned front sight and used modified BAR mags. The Model 605 saw brief action the in Vietnam with the USN SEALs, think dissipator a real one with a rifle length gas system, (not the faux dissipators with carbine gas system and forward rifle sight position like Bushmaster put out) no bayonet lug and the only thing in front of the sight was the flash suppressor. The Model 608 was designed to be an Aircrew survival rifle also had a forward mounted front sight, it was not picked up at the time and was a far cry from today's rendition. USAF Fighter And Bomber Crews Get Modified M4 Rifles That Fit Under Ejection Seats

So I think to answer the OP's original question, it has been done, multiple times and thru trial and error end up it the position we are use to seeing. I would think, for one thing, the sight is better protected from damage in the rearward position.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR