JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Economical, simplicity, durability.... reasons, would be my guess. The original designed 20" version has a pretty decent sight-radius, and was designed for the battle doctrine of the times anticipating Infantry engagements within 300 meters.

Is answer question? ;)

Don't forget how the distance from flash suppressor to front sight/bayonet lug relates to the bayonet. ;)
That part would have been easy to figure out. Even the Russians got a knife on there somehow, without a hammer too. :eek::rolleyes:

Was just curious as to why it wasn't on the muzzle like the predecessors is all.

Skrueger . Go to your corner! :s0112:

pharndpu881.jpg

Drill and tap. Any smooth top cover works. With ribbed cover, you can weld a M16 sight onto it. I forget which exact peep sight I used but I think the guide I used has the info.

As far as the ar 15 front sight goes, it would complicate the modularity and easy barrel swap if every barrel had to have a front sight pinned,brazed or clamped on.

Fixed the sight issue for ya. :rolleyes:

Could one just install a FSB towards the muzzle of an AR and use a low profile gas block instead?

View attachment 491888
It's called a "Kino" or "Faux Dissipator" setup--most modern Dissy replicas do exactly that to avoid the reliability problems from reduced dwell-time that plagued the cut-down originals.

Some notes on the ecosystem the AR was designed in from master smith Patrick Sweeney:
"...[ I]t was meant to be built using standard parts as much as possible. For example, the roll pins that hold parts, and the springs that work those small parts, are normal items you can buy in bulk from a non-firearms manufacturer. Indeed, if you want roll pins, you can consult catalogs devoted to them in every size, material, diameter and surface finish you could want. And when you order them, your choices are by the box or the dead weight. Compare that to trying to buy a model-specific part, like the trigger pin on an M1 Garand, M14/M1A or Remington 742.
By spreading the base, making it less of a specialized process, the country would not be at the mercy of one plant being sidelined in an emergency. Remember, in the early 1950's, memories were still sharp concerning shortages faced in World War II. ... Having a distributed small arms production base was considered a good thing. Having it concentrated ... in one plant with very few suppliers was a bad thing and easily disrupted."
--Patrick Sweeney, Gunsmithing the AR-15: The Bench Manual, pp. 6-9

So everything about the AR's design was about maximizing standard off-the-shelf parts and minimizing platform-specific ones. Lower parts count means simpler supply chains so you can crank a metric f*ckton of 'em out in a hurry if you need to. In a way similar to the genesis of the AK, but different approaches to the same problem based on different cultures and industrial bases--the AK requires more hand-fitting of parts, while the AR front-loads the demanding technical specs onto component manufacture so that a trained MONKEY can hammer, wrench and stake it together.

Last Edited:
So on a 20" AR barel, if one wanted to they could put the front sight towards the muzzle?
Only limit is clearance for your muzzle attachments and handguards of choice, and fitting the barrel's outside diameter.

Hey, who you calling a trained monkey lol?
Oh, only about the average American haaagh-screwel detainee... I refuse to call most of 'em "students" cuz they sure ain't LEARNIN' anything. Let's put it this way... if *I* can beat an AR parts-set into an operational firearm, ANYBODY can.

Remember, the M-16 was originally something else at first, but became the accepted weapon after much drama. It was also meant to be modular and added to or converted.it also had the sights calibrated despite the seemingly short sight radius, so for a fighting rifle, it wasn't that big a deal!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews