JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have one of the older Beretta 92's with a dead front night sight? I am talking about the sight post that is cast/milled into the slide - no dovetails, etc. I had one…92G. The front sight was 17+ years old…and dim. I had it listed for sale on this sight and multiple people asked about the front sight. So I did some research.

Beretta will not touch it. Trijicon, who initially installed the lamps, will not touch it. Tooltech no longer replaces the lamp either.

Options:
1) Find a gunsmith to grind off the front post and mill in a dovetail. I found quotes $250-300+, not including the new sight. Some folks thought the 92 was to light of a slide for this, and recommended getting a beefier slide, so there was more metal available.
2) Tooltech makes a sight that slips over the front post. Involves some milling, and final product has sights that ride higher than stock. About $350 plus s/h.
3) Find a gunsmith to remove part of the front sight and install a fiber optic sight. I found one for $80 plus s/h, and a second with a "call for pricing", which I knew was in excess of $50.
4) Put a dab of fingernail polish, or paint on the sight, and call it good. By far the cheapest and easiest.
5) Get a replacement slide without the fixed front sight.

I opted for number 3, with a twist. I did not like the pics of the finished product I found online. I knew I could do it better, and so did the person who wanted my Beretta.

Steps:
1) I first wrapped the slide in electrical tape and placed it in the vise with wood blocks, all to protect the finish.

2) I heated the front site with a heat gun. I read somewhere that the lamps were glued in with an epoxy. I do not know if this is true, nor if the heat is even necessary, but I do know the heat won't hurt. I believe a hair dryer would work fine.

3) There is a small hole (Pic 2) in the muzzle end of the front sight. I took a 1/16" punch and tapped out the lamp. Tap from front to rear. Mine came out easy. I then took a 1/16" drill (by hand) just to clean out any residue.

4) I took a hacksaw blade to start a cut midway on the front sight to use as a guide for the following step. (Pic 3)

5) I used a 3/16" round file here. Bigger may give marginally more light to the fiber optic, but I also wanted the sight post to still have strength. 7/32" would be fine also. (Chainsaw files - it's what I had) (Pic 4)

6) Clean up any raw edges and prep for paint…and paint.

7) Install the fiber optic: pick your color, cut to length, trim and heat. It is 1.5mm/0.060". It helps to trim the muzzle end at an angle - makes for a cleaner finish.

D60C6F0E-17C2-45BB-8DE6-BAD01940DA46.jpeg 56F966CD-01C8-4917-B7BB-5C02C96C15E7.jpeg ED74E3D8-3150-463A-A5E1-71E00553B972.jpeg 5CDA430D-4464-4F82-B2BB-630AA8C4EB3E.jpeg

You can buy Tritium tubes and replace the sight yourself. They are held it with a kind of slightly rubbery super glue that softens with a little heat.

Outstanding!!

I have an OG (Italian made) 92F (pre-FS) that I picked up in '87-'88 while in Germany that has bone-stock front dot-rear half-moon sights. I
always wished it had some sort of "glowie sights", but back then red dots and tritium were "voodoo magic" and WAY out of my reach. To cover daylight and low-light conditions I wound up painting the front sight-post white and the recessed white-dot a bright orange, and on the rear the larger (black) "half-moon" white and the smaller white inner "half-moon" bright orange. It was the best I could do with my available resources and knowledge back then, and it worked for my needs.

Although I'm inclined to leave it "original", this thread has sparked me to revisit the subject.

:s0155:

Good info that Beretta and Trijicon failed to pass on. Do you know a source?
I thought the "glue" I cleaned out with the drill seemed rubbery.
I've seen lamps for sale on the big flashlight forums, and the gunsmith that used to do all the 92 trijicon installs told me how.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top