JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's the story with this gun? What gun is it? Was cause determined?
You're not gonna know. That's my problem with Reddit. It's just a bunch of random fly specks of information. If you take the trouble to read the comments, they are mostly one liners that do not inform.

No thank you with the pressures involved in 500 S&W, .460, or 454, just too high for me. Ruger .480 out of a Super Redhawk fits the bill at big bore with low pressure. Ruger put extra steel right where that broke for a reason on the Super Redhawk.

Resized_20230121_223621(1).jpeg 20230222_004806.jpg

Last Edited:
Quality S&W MIM parts!
Triggers? Yes. Frame/barrel/cylinder? Nope.

It wasn't gun quality that caused these problems, it was ammo and/or an obstructed bore. You don't blow up top straps and cylinders with an obstructed bore (I would not think), that is extreme over pressure in the cylinder. Blowing the barrel off? Probably and obstructed bore. All of that points to ammo.

It wasn't gun quality that caused these problems, it was ammo and/or an obstructed bore. You don't blow up top straps and cylinders with an obstructed bore (I would not think), that is extreme over pressure in the cylinder. Blowing the barrel off? Probably and obstructed bore. All of that points to ammo.
Yep, it was just a joke.

Of my S&W revolvers, the only one I would expect to fall apart would be my Scandium framed, titanium cylinder 329PD in .44 mag - and that if I made a steady habit of shooting the 300 gr bear loads I have. I don't make a steady habit of shooting anything from the 329PD - it is just too painful - not fun at all.

The 460V I used to own? That thing was a big heavy beast and the loads did not seem to be excessive. Max pressure is 65K PSI, but the max I shot were some 275 gr loads and those seemed tame in that heavy gun with a comp. I think the heavy loads - 350gr+, were probably where you start to see pressures rise.

I can't get mad at a noobie being a noob.

But who dafuq are these guys loading more than 1 round in the gun before handing it to said noob? Seriously - gives the rest of the gun community a bad look.
I don't understand how guys get their jollies handing ANYONE that isn't a gun person a heavy recoiling gun. Certainly not to get people interested in guns.
Dick move.

I don't understand how guys get their jollies handing ANYONE that isn't a gun person a heavy recoiling gun. Certainly not to get people interested in guns.
Dick move.
Among the worst of this tribe are fathers telling how they handed Bobby or Suzy their (12 guage, .300 Mag, etc. etc.) including something resembling, "Ya shoulda seen it! Almost knocked him (her) over!"

No different to me than bragging about punching them in the face.

I don't think that's right. The early s&w 500 especially there are multiple reports of this happening based on limited research yesterday. Those were not from obstructed bores or at least there was no mention of it. I posted some pics of it above. It appears to be a design flaw for the early ones at least. Too much power means it needs to be built be a tank.

If you have a 700 hp car but things are designed for 300 hp, things will fail. It needs to be well designed for 700 hp (ideally more like 1000) to have any longevity imo. I don't know if newer ones fixed the issue but I would be surprised if it didn't. The ruger overbuilt one that someone posted above is an example of designing in extra strength ( from what I can tell anyway, I don't shoot these so only going by limited research).

Last Edited:
Unless you are rolling ammo for it FAR above book or buying home rolled from people you do not know REALLY well I would not worry this is going to happen to yours. I would be willing to bet BIG money that was someone's reloads he fired in that thing.
I don't get why people would want to push the envelope with that round,, isn't it already more powerful than most people can competently handle in the first place?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top