JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No problem here with that Bobo, we all have our preferences on firearms. ;)
I personally don't like front sights that are close to the end of the barrel, as stated, due to the chance of them catching on anything and I tend to go into close quarters a lot. :p
I used to be in thick brush a lot so don't think ya can complain much. My ex didn't complain much, but I did! :rolleyes:

Never had the sights catch on any thing all the years I carried a M-16/M-4 so I would say it worked just fine! :)
Now if they had better range and a harder hitting cartridge, I would have been a much bigger fan!

Sight radius was the least of our boys worries with the first m16's. More pertinent was why this platform did not come with a cleaning kit or instructions to clean. This issue probably got more of our boys killed than any other shortcoming.

Yes to be fair it was a combination of issues that led to poor extraction but cleaning would have helped immensly. Bottom line it was rolled out with out thorough testing and they were told it was self cleaning.

There was nothing wrong with the original AR-15 sent to Vietnam, it was the transition to the M16 with cost cutting substandard specs such as using 6061 instead of 7075 and dropping the chrome lined barrels and chambers against the advice of Stoner along with the wrong powder type for the ammo. This coupled with myth the AR was "self-cleaning" is what caused all the issues. People want to blame the weapon and that is wrong, place the blame where is belongs...the government and their bureaucratic BS.

There was nothing wrong with the original AR-15 sent to Vietnam, it was the transition to the M16 with cost cutting substandard specs such as using 6061 instead of 7075 and dropping the chrome lined barrels and chambers against the advice of Stoner along with the wrong powder type for the ammo. This coupled with myth the AR was "self-cleaning" is what caused all the issues. People want to blame the weapon and that is wrong, place the blame where is belongs...the government and their bureaucratic BS.

I couldn't agree more

It's called a "Kino" or "Faux Dissipator" setup--most modern Dissy replicas do exactly that to avoid the reliability problems from reduced dwell-time that plagued the cut-down originals.

Some notes on the ecosystem the AR was designed in from master smith Patrick Sweeney:

--Patrick Sweeney, Gunsmithing the AR-15: The Bench Manual, pp. 6-9

So everything about the AR's design was about maximizing standard off-the-shelf parts and minimizing platform-specific ones. Lower parts count means simpler supply chains so you can crank a metric f*ckton of 'em out in a hurry if you need to. In a way similar to the genesis of the AK, but different approaches to the same problem based on different cultures and industrial bases--the AK requires more hand-fitting of parts, while the AR front-loads the demanding technical specs onto component manufacture so that a trained MONKEY can hammer, wrench and stake it together.
I picked up a dissy knock-off upper a few years ago specifically to have an iron sights only set up. I really liked the longer sight radius. Of course when I went to set up battle zero (look this up - it's a good read) the formula was a little different for that gun, but I've forgotten the distances and holdover now. I do remember that they all essentially came down to close up, high center mass, far away center cranium. :rolleyes: I'm never going to use that anywhere but the range anyway. For my purposes I can just look it up again before I go shooting. :s0078: Or more likely after I get there. :s0142:

I will say I have not come across conclusive evidence that the ar15's presented to the military for testing had a chrome lined barrel or bore. However I would believe Stoner/Colt was more than willing to include it as it was a requirement with the ordinance dept. at the time. I am not sure who overrode the oridinace dept. but you can be sure it was some dimwit bureacrat.

Last Edited:
I will say I have not come across conclusive evidence that the ar15 presented to the military for testing had a chrome lined barrel or bore. However I would believe Stoner/Colt was more than willing to include it as it was a requirement with the ordinance dept. at the time. I am not sure who overrode the oridinace dept. but you can be sure it was some dimwit bureacrat.
Or as I prefer, "some pin-dicked, p*ss-sucking pencil-pusher"... :D

Here you go @Boboclown I just found your car .lol Russian electric car .
Made by Kalashnikov x43g9c1s9k77gqdn12m8.png tc6rwniknipkzbwe5prh.png

I will say I have not come across conclusive evidence that the ar15's presented to the military for testing had a chrome lined barrel or bore. However I would believe Stoner/Colt was more than willing to include it as it was a requirement with the ordinance dept. at the time. I am not sure who overrode the oridinace dept. but you can be sure it was some dimwit bureacrat.

Numerous investigations began—some within Colt itself while others began within the Marines, Army and even Congress.

Some—including generals—claimed nothing was wrong with the M16, going as far as to point the finger of blame and inadequacy at the soldiers themselves.

However, certain facts remained, and the Congressional Report of the M16 Review Panel: History of the M16 Weapon System painstakingly and in great detail sussed them out. Of note was the observation that "over 250 tests [had] been conducted" with "conflicting results," varying validity and often little time. The battlefield, however, had proved quite conclusive, and the report homed in on two key inadequacies:

1. The ball powder burned too fast, fouling the chamber as it pushed the cyclic rate from 700 to 800 rounds per minute to more like 1,000. It was also moisture-sensitive, swelling or even bursting cartridges in tropical humidity.
  2. The seemingly cost-saving decision not to chrome-plate the chamber exacerbated the problem as the resulting rust, pitting and corrosion increased the likelihood of a malfunction.
In answer, cleaning kits were widely issued for the once-supposedly self-cleaning rifles, and retrofitting M16s with chrome-plated chambers and then chrome-plated bores as well became a priority.

A few other changes helped to resolve issues and improve the M16 while allowing continued use of the ball powder:

1. Lighter firing pins replaced the original, heavier ones that were prone to unintentional slam firing.
  2. Weights and spacers added to the buffer eliminated the problem of cartridges struck but not fired and helped to slow the cyclic rate.
  3. Parts like the bolt and disconnector were strengthened to better withstand the high velocities and impacts involved.
  4. The more expensive 7075 T6 aluminum that Stoner originally intended to use for the receivers replaced the inferior 6061 T6 aluminum that corroded over time.

A (Not So Brief) History of the M16 - Pew Pew Tactical

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR