JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a knife. :s0002:

What is the spirit of the bayonet?
TO KILL! TO KILL! TO KILL WITHOUT MERCY! :s0042:
I always thought it was for opening your MRE's? o_O:confused:
And to open your meals.

And cans, don't forget the cans.

ALRIGHT LISTEN UP, PUKES!!!! :s0118:

The PRIMARY purpose of your issued bayonet is to broaden the horizons of those who would dare be your enemies, and open up their minds!!!

Afterwards, you will hose their broadened horizons and opened minds into the nearest floor drain!! :s0001:

ARE WE CLEAR?!! o_O

THAT IS ALL, CARRY ON!! :s0033:

Last Edited:
Can't help but feel this is an AK vs AR thread...

But then why does this exist?:eek:

BoltonBlock800x600.jpg

Can't help but feel this is an AK vs AR thread...

But then why does this exist?:eek:

View attachment 491905
It isn't. Its just a thing I was wondering because the M14 that came before the M16 had the front sight towards the muzzle while the M16 didn't.

Also, that sight was for the shorter barrels, and the idea was there'd be a krink rear sight. Not always though. The Hungarians just cut it short and put the front sight right in front of the gas block on the AMD.

I don't care how short of a sight radius you put on an AR or how long of one you put on an AK, the AR will still shoot inherently more accurate. Red Dots and LPVO make the entire point moot in the first place.

I don't care how short of a sight radius you put on an AR or how long of one you put on an AK, the AR will still shoot inherently more accurate. Red Dots and LPVO make the entire point moot in the first place.
It isn't. Its just a thing I was wondering because the M14 that came before the M16 had the front sight towards the muzzle while the M16 didn't.

AR is by far the most experimented upon weapon in history, there were version that did have sights further forward near the end of the muzzle. There was even one that was equipped the M14 NM rear sight.

I know, but seeing as I was mentioning sight radius that should have been the giveaway from the start.

Was just something I wondered when I looked at the M16 when the Army had the M14 prior to the M16. Made me wonder why they didn't want to have a similar sight set up.

But it being cheaper and soldiers not needing it anyways makes sense.

So on a 20" AR barel, if one wanted to they could put the front sight towards the muzzle?

If you were to buy an AR, which I highly doubt that you would being an AK guy, you could do anything to it that you wanted.
As for putting a front sight out at the end of the muzzle on a AR15 that will hang up on everything seems pointless (the reason I do not like AK's).
Modern optics takes accuracy to a new level, granted that if the batteries fail or the unit becomes damaged one would have to rely on iron sights.
Most of my company in basic training failed at the accuracy aspect out at 300 meters and recieved a marksman badge (like me).
In the late 70's we did not have optics o plenty for our battle rifles as we do today. :p

Last Edited:
If i had to guess, i would say it was partially to take advantage of allready having a gas block on the barrel right where a sight could go, and most other manufactures were doing the same thing allready with their designs!

If you were to buy an AR, which I highly doubt that you would being an AN guy, you could do anything to it that you wanted.
As for putting a front sight out at the end of the muzzle on a AR15 that will hang up on everything seems pointless (the reason I do not like AK's).
Modern optics takes accuracy to a new level, granted that if the batteries fail or the unit becomes damaged one would have to rely on iron sights.
Most of my company in basic training failed at the accuracy aspect out at 300 meters and recieved a marksman badge (like me).
In the late 70's we did not have optics o plenty for our battle rifles as we do today. :p
To clarify, I'm not so much of an AK guy as much as it is I'm just cheap and don't shoot my favorite rifle as much as a result. Nor have the funds to finish my Imbel build. :(

That being said, the main reason for me not having an AR is that I only like the retro stuff and atm don't have a need for an AR. The AK does everything I need it to do here in NC.

Sight radius was the least of our boys worries with the first m16's. More pertinent was why this platform did not come with a cleaning kit or instructions to clean. This issue probably got more of our boys killed than any other shortcoming.

Sight radius was the least of our boys worries with the first m16's. More pertinent was why this platform did not come with a cleaning kit or instructions to clean. This issue probably got more of our boys killed than any other shortcoming.
Cheap. Tell em it doesn't need to be cleaned so they don't get cleaning kits. Next thing you know, being cheap gets em killed. Even AKs had cleaning kits in the stocks, so its not like there was a reason not to give them to our troops.

Course after that, as well as going chrome and using the right powder, issues stopped. Guess being cheap does get people hurt. :rolleyes:

To clarify, I'm not so much of an AK guy as much as it is I'm just cheap and don't shoot my favorite rifle as much as a result. Nor have the funds to finish my Imbel build. :(

That being said, the main reason for me not having an AR is that I only like the retro stuff and atm don't have a need for an AR. The AK does everything I need it to do here in NC.

No problem here with that Bobo, we all have our preferences on firearms. ;)
I personally don't like front sights that are close to the end of the barrel, as stated, due to the chance of them catching on anything and I tend to go into close quarters a lot. :p

Yes to be fair it was a combination of issues that led to poor extraction but cleaning would have helped immensly. Bottom line it was rolled out with out thorough testing and they were told it was self cleaning.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews