JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
image.jpeg I remember playing with my great uncles' bring back from WWI when I was a kid. Except, I kept it.
image.jpeg

I here you. But let's be clear.

The striker fired Luger [One of the first] Is a very accurate handgun. More so than any Glock. And will still kill you dead today.
As to the M14 [and 106 year old 1911 for that matter]? There still in use by our military.

The lethality of a gun has no expiration date. No more so than a Bow, Spear, Knife, or Rock. o_O

When someone comes at you with anything lethal, that they are proficient with?
You'd be well advised to give it your full respect. ;)
The Luger P-08 is not striker fire... and becomes inaccurate once the barrel warms up. I still shoot better with it than I do my sig, but haven't shot a Glock yet... just saying.

The rest I agree with

Wait now.
I said the Luger has more accuracy than a Glock. Not a 1911A1 has more accuracy.
Have you tried a Luger?

And in saying that I should say ''Absolute accuracy''. Not ''Practical accuracy''
I give that to the Glock with it's larger sights.

But if you need to hit the bulls eye, and have the time. Then it's a Luger for the win. ;)

I enjoy my 1911A1's. And Glocks. But they don't shoot as accurately as a luger.
Maybe it's the small, fine sights. The fixed barrel, rear weight bias, or just the tight fit and finish of an all numbers matching luger?
Do Luger barrels not recede back to feed new rounds? Is that a fixed barrel?
I'm confused?

The Luger P-08 is not striker fire... and becomes inaccurate once the barrel warms up. I still shoot better with it than I do my sig, but haven't shot a Glock yet... just saying.

The rest I agree with

Well they don't call it a striker. [Not sure the term was coined yet] But it is a striker.
It's not acted on by a hammer. But is charged by a striker spring.[Called a firing pin spring in it's day] And acts just like a Glock striker spring.

It's held to the rear [Cocked] and released buy the sear bar. The same way a Glock trigger bar dose it's striker.

I took some pictures and posted them below.
Take a look and let me know what you think? To me it's a striker.

Do Luger barrels not recede back to feed new rounds? Is that a fixed barrel?
I'm confused?

The barrel is attached to the barrel extension/receiver. And it dose move rearward a small amount.
But it's the toggle mounted on this receiver that provides the rearward movement needed to eject and load a round.

But your right. It's not a frame mounted barrel.
It's more like a slide mounted barrel.

IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0189.JPG

I thought it was coined toggle action?

I have no doubt that it lead to the developement of striker fired handguns tho. Just curious what ya'll call it.

I used to call it a striker fired pistol, but was corrected into calling it a toggle action. I would also consider the barrel to move exclusively with the toggle action, as the "slide" doesn't move at all. By "slide" I mean the housing for the toggle, firing pin, etc... tho it seems more like a part of a frame than a slide. I suppose the arm bar connecting the toggle to the barrel could be called a slide bar?

I'm not the expert, just spent time around somebody who knows his stuff and happened to notice a few things that make this pistol unique. Hence I stopped considering it to be a striker fire pistol. It's really a pistol that stands out from all others any way you look at it.

Last Edited:
I thought it was coined toggle action?

I have no doubt that it lead to the developement of striker fired handguns tho. Just curious what ya'll call it.

I used to call it a striker fired pistol, but was corrected into calling it a toggle action. I would also consider the barrel to move exclusively with the toggle action, as the "slide" doesn't move at all. By "slide" I mean the housing for the toggle, firing pin, etc... tho it seems more like a part of a frame than a slide. I suppose the arm bar connecting the toggle to the barrel could be called a slide bar?

I'm not the expert, just spent time around somebody who knows his stuff and happened to notice a few things that make this pistol unique. Hence I stopped considering it to be a striker fire pistol. It's really a pistol that stands out from all others any way you look at it.

You were incorrectly corrected. It is a striker fired pistol and the lockup is a toggle action. Gun fires, the barrel and upper receiver slide back together to relieve some of the inertia. Then the toggle link gets knocked open on a lower receiver mounted cam and pops up to eject the round. Its a variation of the Maxim machine gun action that Borchardt also borrowed for the C-93 over 130 years ago.

P0RSTQ.jpg

You were incorrectly corrected. It is a striker fired pistol and the lockup is a toggle action. Gun fires, the barrel and upper receiver slide back together to relieve some of the inertia. Then the toggle link gets knocked open on a lower receiver mounted cam and pops up to eject the round. Its a variation of the Maxim machine gun action that Borchardt also borrowed for the C-93 over 130 years ago.

View attachment 373879
putting a swastika behind a Luger doesn't make it striker fired

I like the history of things. Even though we usually know little specific to a particular item. Interesting the confluence of events. In 1917, at the Royal arsenal at Erfurt, some German machinists, in the middle of a great war, made a P-08 Luger. Meanwhile, an Oklahoma cowboy, son of a Civil War Confederate cavalry officer, was drafted (or maybe enlisted, dunno) into the US Army. He ended up in France in the ambulance corps "under fire". He survived being mustard gassed and returned to Oklahoma in 1919. Under circumstances lost to history (picked up off the battlefield? Taken from a German prisoner? Won in a poker game in Paris? No one living knows), that 1917 Erfurt Luger was in his pack when he got off the train. That cowboy was my great uncle. Around 1965, my uncle visited him and asked if he still had that old Luger. He did. My uncle asked if he could have it. My great uncle, having no children and getting on a bit, gave it to him. He brought it over to show dad when I was about 12 and left it with us a while to play with. As the resident family gun bug, I immediately coveted it. Dad eventually gave it back to my uncle but when he did, I asked my uncle to keep me in mind if he ever wanted to sell it. Years and miles passed. I would occasionally visit with my uncle and ask if he still had it. Always worried he'd decide he didn't need it and would swap it off for something he did need. As I grew older, I figured I'd better stop bugging him about it. A family funeral brought me into contact with him again some years ago. While visiting him at his home, in the middle of conversation (I had not mentioned the Luger) he suddenly got up and went into a back room. When he returned, he was holding the Luger, holster, extra magazines and all in his hand. He handed it to me and said "I think you're old enough now". Needless to say, I was very pleased! A third generation priceless (to me) heirloom. It's mostly a safe queen but it does occasionally see daylight.
On fathers day, here in 2017 I had my son shooting it for his first time. He's turned out to be a pretty nice young man so some day I'll probably hand it to him and say "you're old enough now" (meaning I'm too old ;))

It's nice to have something stay in a family for 100 years.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top