JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was a boy, my dad and his friends used to talk a lot about WWII and what they experienced as soldiers. I was born in 1947, so I remember how fresh those memories were in the minds of my dad and his buddies. These were the guys that were part of the "Greatest Generation." I think all the talking probably helped them get through their "Battle Fatigue" and distress at being young men tasked with killing other young men.
My dad was in a tank battalion and alternated between driving a tank and driving a truck. Both were important jobs. He was in the Battle of the Bulge. When the Germans had finally been pushed back into Germany, he was ordered out of his tank and back into the driver's seat of a truck. He was then temporarily assigned to a Graves Registration unit. He had a foot locker full of pistols and holsters that he had taken off of the dead German soldiers that he had helped to pick up and haul to temporary cemeteries. There were Walther P-38's, PPK's, Mauser HSc's, Radoms and an assortment of revolvers. There were also two Lugers. I took quite a fancy to those guns and dad said that I could have them if I wanted. Lots of my friends had dads that were in the army during WWII and I wasn't the only one with a handgun. We used to play "army" all the time and many of us that couldn't afford a cap gun had a real handgun with the magazine removed. There were plenty of Army/Navy stores around, GI Joes being just one of them. I remember when it was in a huge tent that smelled like some kind of petroleum product. There were wooden barrels filled with British Lee Enfield .303 Jungle carbines at $10.00 each. They had never been fired. Lots of German KAR 98's too. $10.00 each.
When my friends and I turned out to play army, we were also dressed in the appropriate gear. We had helmets, cartridge belts, chevrons, packs, you name it, we had it.
But, back to my story about the Lugers. As time passed, my dad's buddies would find out that I liked Lugers and eventually I had over a dozen of them. They would give them to me and tell me the story about how they got them. One of them was a WWI artillery model with a great, long barrel and a wood stock that snapped into place on the handle. It wasn't a 9MM but rather a 7.65MM, if my fading memory is correct.
Dad belonged to the NRA and we would get the American Rifleman magazine every month. On the back page you could buy NRA "very good" 1911A1's for $20.00 or a nice .30 carbine for the same price. Dad bought a couple of each one and they all turned out to be new. The oddest gun that I saw advertised in quantity was a 20MM anti-aircraft gun complete with harness and half circles that you put your shoulders into. Shells were $1.00 and the gun alone was $100.00.
As time passed and I grew to be a teenager, my thoughts turned from guns and ammo to pursuit of the fairer sex. In order to enjoy the company of these delightful companions a vehicle of some kind was required. I was already working two jobs and going to school so I was going to need an additional source of capital to acquire a set of wheels that would set me apart from my fellows, who were also in pursuit of these lovelies. Ah Ha! My mind turned towards the chest of drawers in my room and the one drawer that contained an arsenal of WWII weaponry. I started selling off my Lugers, bayonets, Nazi armbands, belt buckles and SS cap badges. I got as much as $100.00 for my Lugers. The artillery model went for $200.00. Oh how clever I was! Dad said that I might want to reconsider selling all those guns, but what did he know? He had never seen the lovely girls that I was planning on taking to the drive in, in my car! Eventually I got a 1956 Chevy 2 door hardtop and then put a bored and stroked 283 cu.in engine in it topped off with two four barrels and coupled to a four speed transmission. I took the car to Mexico and had it upholstered in a metal flake Tuck N' Roll. The girls loved it and I was soon hated by many of the girl's fathers.
In retrospect, I should have kept the Lugers.

Well, my father bought a bunch of that "clutter" and I got to play soldier in much the same way as a kid in the 90's... although we were only allowed painted pvc barrels with all the appropriate furnishing (mostly enfield).
Just to rub it in, I personally find Lugers to still be among the best shooting pistols.

My dad did sell everything nazi stamped at a certain point. We really hate nazis in my household, so it just didn't seem right to keep them.
I might kill somebody for that artillery model tho, but only if they were an evil person in need of being dispatched. LoL

Well, my father bought a bunch of that "clutter" and I got to play soldier in much the same way as a kid in the 90's... although we were only allowed painted pvc barrels with all the appropriate furnishing (mostly enfield).
Just to rub it in, I personally find Lugers to still be among the best shooting pistols.

My dad did sell everything nazi stamped at a certain point. We really hate nazis in my household, so it just didn't seem right to keep them.
I might kill somebody for that artillery model tho, but only if they were an evil person in need of being dispatched. LoL
My dad helped to liberate a concentration camp. He would not speak about it, only to say that they never took SS prisoners after that.

When I was a boy, my dad and his friends used to talk a lot about WWII and what they experienced as soldiers. I was born in 1947, so I remember how fresh those memories were in the minds of my dad and his buddies. These were the guys that were part of the "Greatest Generation." I think all the talking probably helped them get through their "Battle Fatigue" and distress at being young men tasked with killing other young men.
My dad was in a tank battalion and alternated between driving a tank and driving a truck. Both were important jobs. He was in the Battle of the Bulge. When the Germans had finally been pushed back into Germany, he was ordered out of his tank and back into the driver's seat of a truck. He was then temporarily assigned to a Graves Registration unit. He had a foot locker full of pistols and holsters that he had taken off of the dead German soldiers that he had helped to pick up and haul to temporary cemeteries. There were Walther P-38's, PPK's, Mauser HSc's, Radoms and an assortment of revolvers. There were also two Lugers. I took quite a fancy to those guns and dad said that I could have them if I wanted. Lots of my friends had dads that were in the army during WWII and I wasn't the only one with a handgun. We used to play "army" all the time and many of us that couldn't afford a cap gun had a real handgun with the magazine removed. There were plenty of Army/Navy stores around, GI Joes being just one of them. I remember when it was in a huge tent that smelled like some kind of petroleum product. There were wooden barrels filled with British Lee Enfield .303 Jungle carbines at $10.00 each. They had never been fired. Lots of German KAR 98's too. $10.00 each.
When my friends and I turned out to play army, we were also dressed in the appropriate gear. We had helmets, cartridge belts, chevrons, packs, you name it, we had it.
But, back to my story about the Lugers. As time passed, my dad's buddies would find out that I liked Lugers and eventually I had over a dozen of them. They would give them to me and tell me the story about how they got them. One of them was a WWI artillery model with a great, long barrel and a wood stock that snapped into place on the handle. It wasn't a 9MM but rather a 7.65MM, if my fading memory is correct.
Dad belonged to the NRA and we would get the American Rifleman magazine every month. On the back page you could buy NRA "very good" 1911A1's for $20.00 or a nice .30 carbine for the same price. Dad bought a couple of each one and they all turned out to be new. The oddest gun that I saw advertised in quantity was a 20MM anti-aircraft gun complete with harness and half circles that you put your shoulders into. Shells were $1.00 and the gun alone was $100.00.
As time passed and I grew to be a teenager, my thoughts turned from guns and ammo to pursuit of the fairer sex. In order to enjoy the company of these delightful companions a vehicle of some kind was required. I was already working two jobs and going to school so I was going to need an additional source of capital to acquire a set of wheels that would set me apart from my fellows, who were also in pursuit of these lovelies. Ah Ha! My mind turned towards the chest of drawers in my room and the one drawer that contained an arsenal of WWII weaponry. I started selling off my Lugers, bayonets, Nazi armbands, belt buckles and SS cap badges. I got as much as $100.00 for my Lugers. The artillery model went for $200.00. Oh how clever I was! Dad said that I might want to reconsider selling all those guns, but what did he know? He had never seen the lovely girls that I was planning on taking to the drive in, in my car! Eventually I got a 1956 Chevy 2 door hardtop and then put a bored and stroked 283 cu.in engine in it topped off with two four barrels and coupled to a four speed transmission. I took the car to Mexico and had it upholstered in a metal flake Tuck N' Roll. The girls loved it and I was soon hated by many of the girl's fathers.
In retrospect, I should have kept the Lugers.
I hear that loud and clear!:eek: Being one of your generation I can say with real depth of feeling and meaning "IF only I had known THEN what I know now!" I still have my Dad's bringback K98k in excellent condition considering it's age and history, with original sling, bayo and "Prince Albert" can style cleaning kit. My minty 1940 Mauser-made Parabellum is also on the "No Sell" list! When thinking of the things I "Shoulda, coulda, woulda" gotten or hung on to, it makes me want to cry!

Yep sadly we seldom realize how smart the older people in our life are until we are older. ;)
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.":rolleyes:
Mark Twain

:s0122:

Really I would love to see pictures of some guns you guys are talking about. Nothing like holding history in your hand. Thanks to anyones father who faught for our freedom's.

Keith's has one, or at least had one. I'm sure they would let you take a look. I would have spent a lot more time there if I could have. Sick cat and with family. Just popped in for some 30 Mauser one day...
They had a ton of 30 Luger for sale, if anyone is looking.

You can still go buy a luger if you feel you need one. There out there.
And if your like me. Your a bit better off financially now, than when you were a kid.

But just try and go buy 16 years old again. ;)
Ha! There are pills (little blue ones) that will make a fellow feel like he's 16 again. But if I had a choice, I wouldn't go back. I like my memories and old friends. The world changes, but I try to remain the same. German Lugers have been outstripped by Glocks and other Poly-carbonate space-age materials. I expect to see firearms made out of carbon fiber soon. I do have to laugh at how big business has impacted our military. After all these years of 9MM sidearms the military is going back to a proven round the .45 Cal. Slow, ugly and no penetration, but it does stop a charging radical right in his own steps. Now my beloved Marine Corps is looking for a replacement for the venerable M-4. I crossed into hostile territory carrying a 7.62MM (.308) M-14 that would accurately shoot to 1,000 yards (with a scope.) The downside was that it was heavy and kicked and would go completely through a VC or NVA soldier and raise a great cloud of dirt on the other side. Oh well, they are going to do what they are going to do.

Of course Lugers and M14s have been outstripped by Glocks and M4s etc.. That isn't really the point- no one said they would be good for combat or even (necessarily) as a self-defense pieces today. We just like them for what they are, well-made, well-designed for their day effective firearms. I still like the original AR15/M16 without the forward assist which Ive never used. Who would down the 1873 Colt revolver altho it's been obsolete well over one hundred years or for that matter the 1911 pistol? Just sayin;)

Of course Lugers and M14s have been outstripped by Glocks and M4s etc.. That isn't really the point- no one said they would be good for combat or even (necessarily) as a self-defense pieces today. We just like them for what they are, well-made, well-designed for their day effective firearms. I still like the original AR15/M16 without the forward assist which Ive never used. Who would down the 1873 Colt revolver altho it's been obsolete well over one hundred years or for that matter the 1911 pistol? Just sayin;)

I here you. But let's be clear.

The striker fired Luger [One of the first] Is a very accurate handgun. More so than any Glock. And will still kill you dead today.
As to the M14 [and 106 year old 1911 for that matter]? There still in use by our military.

The lethality of a gun has no expiration date. No more so than a Bow, Spear, Knife, or Rock. o_O

When someone comes at you with anything lethal, that they are proficient with?
You'd be well advised to give it your full respect. ;)

I here you. But let's be clear.

The striker fired Luger [One of the first] Is a very accurate handgun. More so than any Glock. And will still kill you dead today.
As to the M14 [and 106 year old 1911 for that matter]? There still in use by our military.

The lethality of a gun has no expiration date. No more so than a Bow, Spear, Knife, or Rock. o_O

When someone comes at you with anything lethal, that they are proficient with?
You'd be well advised to give it your full respect. ;)

I hear you, but lets be clear, this accuracy statemet ;" More so than any Glock" is arguable. So I will.
I'm not a fan of plastic glocks but I do own a G26 gen4, shot many others in the 17 and 19 series along with a bunch of war era manufactured 1911's (not worn out either) and while most 1911's of today usually comes off the line nearly ready for the target range, it was not so much target worthy for the newly produced 1911 of WW1 or WW2. (The odd talented shooter notwithstanding) Caliber difference aside, I'll take that new Glock to the target competition over a 1911 of that manufacture era. While you will see one of those 1911's instead of my Glock in my emergency bug out bag for a variety of other battle reasons, an off the shelf Glock (in my opine) will produce better target results.
But then, I couldn't find one of my slippers this morning so maybe my memory degrading. :( Naw, just kicked it too far under the bed!o_O
(Having never shot the cool Luger, my words on accuracy may not apply to them.)

I hear you, but lets be clear, this accuracy statemet ;" More so than any Glock" is arguable. So I will.
I'm not a fan of plastic glocks but I do own a G26 gen4, shot many others in the 17 and 19 series along with a bunch of war era manufactured 1911's (not worn out either) and while most 1911's of today usually comes off the line nearly ready for the target range, it was not so much target worthy for the newly produced 1911 of WW1 or WW2. (The odd talented shooter notwithstanding) Caliber difference aside, I'll take that new Glock to the target competition over a 1911 of that manufacture era. While you will see one of those 1911's instead of my Glock in my emergency bug out bag for a variety of other battle reasons, an off the shelf Glock (in my opine) will produce better target results.
But then, I couldn't find one of my slippers this morning so maybe my memory degrading. :( Naw, just kicked it too far under the bed!o_O
I guess that I need to make myself a bit more clear concerning my earlier comment about the military wanting different firearms. The issue from my perspective was not one of lethality, but rather the fact that they're even discussing it. Armaments change because of political pressure brought about by paid lobbyists and less by actual need. The best examples are the C-17 and the "Osprey" aircraft. No one in the military wanted them, yet here they are, at great cost to the taxpayer. The M-14 was little more that an M-1 Garand on steroids, but Robert Macnamara (sp?) insisted that the M-16 become part of the infantry arsenal. Yes, the M-16 was light, you could carry more ammo and with it's full auto capability, the full volume of fire was impressive. In the end, marksmanship suffered and the costs for ammunition soared. I don't think that the number of enemy killed was any greater because of the M-16. My point is that war and the soldiers and Marines that fight in it are little more than profit centers for corporate America.

Wait now.
I said the Luger has more accuracy than a Glock. Not a 1911A1 has more accuracy.
Have you tried a Luger?

And in saying that I should say ''Absolute accuracy''. Not ''Practical accuracy''
I give that to the Glock with it's larger sights.

But if you need to hit the bulls eye, and have the time. Then it's a Luger for the win. ;)

I enjoy my 1911A1's. And Glocks. But they don't shoot as accurately as a luger.
Maybe it's the small, fine sights. The fixed barrel, rear weight bias, or just the tight fit and finish of an all numbers matching luger?

Last Edited:
Wait now.
I said the Luger has more accuracy than a Glock. Not a 1911A1 has more accuracy.
Have you tried a Luger?

And in saying that I should say ''Absolute accuracy''. Not ''Practical accuracy''
I give that to the Glock with it's larger sights.

But if you need to hit the bulls eye, and have the time. Then it's a Luger for the win. ;)

I enjoy my 1911A1's. And Glocks. But they don't shoot as accurately as a luger.
Maybe it's the small, fine sights. The fixed barrel, rear weight bias, or just the tight fit and finish of an all numbers matching luger?
My opologies, I thought your inclusion: "As to the M14 [and 106 year old 1911 for that matter]? There still in use by our military applied" was intended implication.
And no, I haven't shot a luger but always wanted one for the style plus have heard good things about them.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews