JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Eating before bed is fine. Calories is calories regardless of when you eat them. Your body still burns calories while you sleep. If it stopped using energy, it would mean you're dead.

As I said earlier, don't feel the need to follow some fad diet. They may work, but they aren't necessary if you eat right. For example, paleo is one diet people follow but I don't. If grains were bad, Asians would have been obese throughout history (their obesity rate is only inclining after the westernization of their food).

Also, no margarine. Lard can be used in place of vegetable oil and butter. Also, try to eat brown rice more than white rice, and whole wheats when it comes to bread and pasta.

I've successfully lost weight several times in my life - the biggest one, I lost 80lbs over about 14 months. At that point, I had lost so much that family and friends were telling me to stop losing weight or I was going to hurt myself. At the time, I was running several miles 4-6 times a week and at the best shape in my life. Then I got carpal tunnel, both hands, and ended up having to suspend my exercise program for the better part of 2 months (doc said absolutely no exertion that caused me to sweat such as running, etc.). Well, after that recovery passed, I wasn't exactly ready to start up again, and old habits crept back in...

Problem is, while I can lose weight, I'm much better at finding it again - and usually finding more than I lost o_O

I've struggled with this much of my life. I'm working on it again, but it's going very, very slowly. I am gradually losing, but at a slow pace - but, it's manageable for me. What I've struggled with is not finding a way to lose weight, but finding a way to lose it and keep it off long term. That's the part where I have the most trouble. Plus, while I used to work a pretty physical job, which helped keep the weight more in check, now I'm at a desk pretty much all day - not good for fitness.

We've got an actually decent gym at work - free to use, cardio, free weights and weight machines. No excuses except I can't get myself started. Looking for that spark to get things going again. I hope I can find that thing inside that will help me get started and keep going. It's got to come from inside or it won't hold. That is the real struggle.

As for now, I'm in good shape, good round shape :rolleyes:

Eating before bed is fine. Calories is calories regardless of when you eat them. Your body still burns calories while you sleep. If it stopped using energy, it would mean you're dead.

As I said earlier, don't feel the need to follow some fad diet. They may work, but they aren't necessary if you eat right. For example, paleo is one diet people follow but I don't. If grains were bad, Asians would have been obese throughout history (their obesity rate is only inclining after the westernization of their food).

Also, no margarine. Lard can be used in place of vegetable oil and butter. Also, try to eat brown rice more than white rice, and whole wheats when it comes to bread and pasta.

Something else to consider with different 'fad' diets is what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. I've done diets that were successful for me, but not for others I know. Vice versa for diets that worked for them. Everyone's body is different and maybe excluding certain things will work well for you - but it may not.

In the end, you've ultimately got to watch calorie intake and physical activity - no magic there - but it is harder for some folks than for others, no matter how simple it seems.

Pretty much. Even if it does work, you could still get away with just eating right in general and some physical activity.

I switched from vegetable oil to lard, rarely use butter. I generally eat whole grains. Been in good shape. Was never round, but I did have fat to lose. Also, eat meat. MEAT. We're omnivores, not herbivores.

This subject (like calibers) could be debated endlessly, but I think that if you stick to the basics, like eating less processed foods, more greens and good proteins and sweat everyday, you will have good results. The particulars and different tweaks are better or worse, depending on your individual anatomy.

Water is the drink of life.

Could also be a cart pusher as a second job. All that walking and pushing carts (I did 20-30 at a time by hand uphill) would help burn the fat. :rolleyes:

Also helps getting yelled at by Wally World management. o_O

The guy in the Sugar move I posted above went on a sugar binge where he ate 40 teaspoons of sugar a day. In some cases he found breakfast alone was 30ish teaspoons eating things like granola, fruit juice and yogurt. If I remember correctly he tried to limit the intake to 2000 or so calories per day. He turned into a pig...gained a gut, had a bad appearance, attitude problems began and the only difference was the intake of sugar. Prior and after the event his diet remained at the 2000 or so calories a day and he was slim and healthy.

Conclusion was, it's not the calories, it is the type of calories and sugar was the killer, not butter, fat, meat, cheese, veggies or fruit, but rather the processed sugar in EVERYTHING.

I'm sure I butchered some of the facts here, but that documentary was eye opening and affirmed what I thought was happening to me whenever I drank soda like Mt. Dew and other sugar ladened products.

Just scored this elliptical from auction. I hate bike riding on the roads around here and then it generally sucks when the rain starts. So this thing came along. First workout was getting it inside, it weighs 340lbs. Lol.
But, it's my game plan going forward.

IMG_20170727_124124.jpg

The guy in the Sugar move I posted above went on a sugar binge where he ate 40 teaspoons of sugar a day. In some cases he found breakfast alone was 30ish teaspoons eating things like granola, fruit juice and yogurt. If I remember correctly he tried to limit the intake to 2000 or so calories per day. He turned into a pig...gained a gut, had a bad appearance, attitude problems began and the only difference was the intake of sugar. Prior and after the event his diet remained at the 2000 or so calories a day and he was slim and healthy.

Conclusion was, it's not the calories, it is the type of calories and sugar was the killer, not butter, fat, meat, cheese, veggies or fruit, but rather the processed sugar in EVERYTHING.

I'm sure I butchered some of the facts here, but that documentary was eye opening and affirmed what I thought was happening to me whenever I drank soda like Mt. Dew and other sugar ladened products.

Aside from the physical benefits, I've noticed a clearer head and cognitive benefits the better I eat.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top