JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The worst thing about dogs is that their lives are measured in years, while ours are measured in decades. I've got two GSDs who are both over 11 years old. They have, if I'm lucky, another year – most likely less. One I've had for 3+ years, a quasi-rescue – retired breeding female. The other, my big male – the dog in my avatar - I've had for 8+ years, literally the best dog I've ever had. This last period - as they slowly go downhill, sleeping most of the time, struggling to get up for treats - is both mourning and celebration. They have been extraordinary companions. In this era of Covid, they have been my daily company.

They're not there yet, but I will struggle with the decision when it's time – is today the day? It breaks my heart to think about it. Yet, if I love and honor them, I need to be strong for them. Deciding that today is the day, is the hardest and most loving decision I can make for them. I lost a female, Hanna, over the Memorial Day weekend in 2014. I still can't describe the visit, her final visit, to the vet without crying.

Good dogs are hard, because you love them so much and lose them too early. It's a bargain with the devil.

O541Xb.jpg

Three years ago. male (Bo) in front, female (Jetta) in back. Thanks for listening.

They are such precious little souls and with us for far too short of time. I wish you strength and peace as you struggle with this decision OP.

For whatever it's worth, I'm of the mind that it's better to take them out a bit early as opposed to too late.

This is Kona. Had to have her put down as I was leaving for my last deployment. Inherited her from the divorce, didn't want her, but grew to love her. I cried like a b!tch at my mob station when I found out she had doggie cancer. That sucked.

A3FD78D1-15C0-45C0-B6D3-CEC025BB1F5F.jpeg

As a dog person we all feel the pain. Our very close friends had to put down their 13yr old Chocolate Lab last week. It's been rough for everyone. Dogs only want to love the human race sure can learn a few things from them!

We never know how long we will have with them, so I stick by a simple rule "spoil the dog". It makes me happy, it made them happy.

We're there for them when they're dumb little puppies, we protect them from the world. They comfort us and try to protect us when they're in their prime of life. It's up to us to spoil them, love them, care for them in their old age.

When they consistantly have more bad days than good ones then its time to say goodbye.

I lost Moochy, my best buddy, on January 27th. We had 16 wonderful years together. If I could have split the remainder of my life with him I would have. They really are your best friend.

signal-2021-02-10-044228.jpg

Each dog that I have owned has been a hard thing to get over. My first was the best and will always be what the others are measured up to. She lived to be 15. My current dog is 12 and still going strong. I have had her since she was about 6-7 weeks old and was dumped in my neighborhood. The absolute kindest soul on a dog I have ever seen. She has a special knack at raising cats and always being the protector of all animals never harming anything.

Two years ago we babysat our neighbors sons dog for 9 months while his owner went off to work in the big city. We had him on a routine where we picked him up in the morning and brought him home in the afternoon. He had a daily schedule Monday through Friday with us and his owners dad did his best to care for him at night and weekends. The owners dad drives logging truck so he has long hours away from the house. This boxer dog got into shape and loved the routine we set up for him. When his owner came back from the city he sadly fell into the house dog routine again and lost all his muscle tone. He was happy as his owner took great care of him and even picked up another puppy to keep him company.

Today we found out the dogs owner went back to the city and took both dogs. The dog we babysat had an issue while he was down there and fought with someone's dog so he had to come back home. Today we are starting round two of caring for the dog. We are setting the house and yard back up to accommodate him and this time we are planning on a permanent split home for him. He will live here and at the neighbors full time. He is a handful as no fence can keep him in but he is a great dog and we want him to be cared for and not left to sit idle.

We also have that same neighbors cat that lives with us full time as there was never anyone home at his real house so he moved in with us. We have cared for the cat for about five years now and even had one of his eyes removed when it got infected. All the dogs and cats get along and will sleep together so that part is easy.

Two years ago I was sick with the flu and the dog and cat made sure they took care of me.......they stayed with me every day I was sick in bed......my own dog was perfectly happy not to join in.

Each dog that I have owned has been a hard thing to get over. My first was the best and will always be what the others are measured up to. She lived to be 15. My current dog is 12 and still going strong. I have had her since she was about 6-7 weeks old and was dumped in my neighborhood. The absolute kindest soul on a dog I have ever seen. She has a special knack at raising cats and always being the protector of all animals never harming anything.

Two years ago we babysat our neighbors sons dog for 9 months while his owner went off to work in the big city. We had him on a routine where we picked him up in the morning and brought him home in the afternoon. He had a daily schedule Monday through Friday with us and his owners dad did his best to care for him at night and weekends. The owners dad drives logging truck so he has long hours away from the house. This boxer dog got into shape and loved the routine we set up for him. When his owner came back from the city he sadly fell into the house dog routine again and lost all his muscle tone. He was happy as his owner took great care of him and even picked up another puppy to keep him company.

Today we found out the dogs owner went back to the city and took both dogs. The dog we babysat had an issue while he was down there and fought with someone's dog so he had to come back home. Today we are starting round two of caring for the dog. We are setting the house and yard back up to accommodate him and this time we are planning on a permanent split home for him. He will live here and at the neighbors full time. He is a handful as no fence can keep him in but he is a great dog and we want him to be cared for and not left to sit idle.

We also have that same neighbors cat that lives with us full time as there was never anyone home at his real house so he moved in with us. We have cared for the cat for about five years now and even had one of his eyes removed when it got infected. All the dogs and cats get along and will sleep together so that part is easy.

Two years ago I was sick with the flu and the dog and cat made sure they took care of me.......they stayed with me every day I was sick in bed......my own dog was perfectly happy not to join in.
On behalf of the animals you've cared for, thank you!

My parents had to put down their 13, 14 year old Mini Schnauzer last year. We recently spread his ashes at a place he loved to run... I'm glad he had the chance to meet my kid before he went. Vet said his health went bad, and he was having arthritic pain, as well as lumps which may well have been cancerous. My mother is in her 70s, dad is now 80, so if they are to adopt another dog, I'm kind of pushing them to adopt an adult dog from the shelters... preferably one that's fine with toddlers/young children. We will see. Sammy was adopted as an 8, 10 week old puppy way back in 2007. Passed away last year.

PB020080.JPG
6 months old I think.
DSC02171.JPG
chewing on rawhide at about 6 months old

20201212_195822.jpg
12-13 years old meeting my kid, first time on camera.

20201212_195822.jpg

The worst thing about dogs is that their lives are measured in years, while ours are measured in decades. I've got two GSDs who are both over 11 years old. They have, if I'm lucky, another year – most likely less. One I've had for 3+ years, a quasi-rescue – retired breeding female. The other, my big male – the dog in my avatar - I've had for 8+ years, literally the best dog I've ever had. This last period - as they slowly go downhill, sleeping most of the time, struggling to get up for treats - is both mourning and celebration. They have been extraordinary companions. In this era of Covid, they have been my daily company.

They're not there yet, but I will struggle with the decision when it's time – is today the day? It breaks my heart to think about it. Yet, if I love and honor them, I need to be strong for them. Deciding that today is the day, is the hardest and most loving decision I can make for them. I lost a female, Hanna, over the Memorial Day weekend in 2014. I still can't describe the visit, her final visit, to the vet without crying.

Good dogs are hard, because you love them so much and lose them too early. It's a bargain with the devil.

View attachment 1069352

Three years ago. male (Bo) in front, female (Jetta) in back. Thanks for listening.
Very nicely written Your emotion came through.

Not a dog person, but a cat person and the feelings are the same. Lost my rescue a couple thanksgivings back and we buried her in the woods where we found her. Visit her grave from time to time. My only living cat is about 9 and I'm starting to wonder when old age will show. Sometimes cats can live into their 20s, though I tend to find 12 or 13 is fair bet. A good animal is the best friend a person can have, regardless of species.

View attachment 1069352

FYI re pain getting up/moving I had very good luck with glucosamine. My dog could hardly get up at age 12 and we started giving him liquid glucosamine from Costco. Made a night and day difference. Normally that breed they put down at around 12 but he lived comfortable and happy to age 16. Only impacts pain and movement in hips/joints though, not any other health issues. Also plz don't take my word for it as I'm no vet and would hate to see ur dog have a reaction or something so check with your vet first. Just passing along my experience in the hope it may help. I do believe it gave my dog 3+ more years in my case than if we had not used it but main thing was to see him be able to get up ok and go up stairs that he couldn't do before. This is what we used FWIW. $17 for 33 oz on sale. We started with smaller dose and had to increase it as he got older (he would start getting stiff again and we would increase and then it would go away, that kind of thing. I dont' remember dosage but we based it on body weight.
imageService.jpg

Last Edited:
FYI re pain getting up/moving I had very good luck with glucosamine. My dog could hardly get up at age 12 and we started giving him liquid glucosamine from Costco. Made a night and day difference. Normally that breed they put down at around 12 but he lived comfortable and happy to age 16. Only impacts pain and movement in hips/joints though, not any other health issues. Also plz don't take my word for it as I'm no vet and would hate to see ur dog have a reaction or something so check with your vet first. Just passing along my experience in the hope it may help. I do believe it gave my dog 3+ more years in my case than if we had not used it but main thing was to see him be able to get up ok and go up stairs that he couldn't do before. This is what we used FWIW. $17 for 33 oz on sale. We started with smaller dose and had to increase it as he got older (he would start getting stiff again and we would increase and then it would go away, that kind of thing. I dont' remember dosage but we based it on body weight.
View attachment 1069941
Thank you! If I could get 3 more good years - wonderful.

Every time I find myself being "short or inpatient" with people I remember what I heard long ago. "I wish I was the person my Dog thinks I am". Something to strive for. :)
This thread honestly had me tearing up, because I have a 12 year old American Staphordshire bull terrier Loki ( the dog in my AV) and it is going to crush me when he dies, I was in a bad place and am 100% certain i wouldn't be above ground if I hadn't got my boy.

He's seen me at my very worst, and that was pretty bad, and he's loved me through everything.

So when you said the part about being the person my my dog thinks I am I started laughing my azz off because I know my dog loves me, but I'm also pretty sure he knows I'm a Crazyfuk, so by that standard, if I showed everyone the truth (that my dog already knows) they'd lock me up or shoot me.

🤣😂😂🤣😂🤣.

View attachment 1069941
I give Loki (My12 year old pup) cosequin and fish oil, as well as bone broth (sometimes homemade, sometimes already made) if buying store bought need to make sure no garlic or onions as Ingredients.

Also to get him in and out of the car I took my kitchen table leaf and screwed some 1x2 wood slats (for traction) and we use that to help him get out of the car, so he doesn't have to jump and impact his hips.

I'll look at that liquid stuff next time I'm at Costco.

I've thought about CBD to but a little worried it's just snake oil.

20211114_023351.jpg 20211114_023332.jpg 20211114_023312.jpg 20211113_162731.jpg

As for older dogs, not a Vet and did not stay in Holiday Inn and all. When the guy in my avatar was about 12 I thought I would have to put him down. He was having a lot of trouble with one hip that he had injured when young. Tried a few things and was going to give up. There was thread going here about CBD oil. I figured had nothing to lose at this point so ordered some. Started giving him a couple drops on a biscuit couple times a day. Damned if he was not soon acting like he was fine again and even got playful again. So I kept it up for over a year. Now of course no idea if this will work for anyone else. The stuff I was giving him was for human use. I tried it for a while and seemed to do nothing for my old age aches and pains. All I cared about is it gave me a good amount more time with him.

this was Mack just a short while before we found out he had cancer, it progressed really fast and we had to put him down not long after this picture was taken. he was a really good dog and I miss him a lot

phone pics 002.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads