JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is a point in your life if you get old enough you will look like food. You realize that most are younger , faster and stronger so all you have is your wits and experience. The experience comes from being able to read people and their intentions and the wits come with the tactics for dealing with them.

All people profile, they read what they think they see in you. When it comes that time they get aggressive hopefully they won't realize they didn't get the profile right until it's to late for themo_O

Honastly I don't think I fit in either of those catagorys. I drive a 2010 Nissan, the cheapest plain Jane version you can get. I got nothing to prove. Hell I have a bright pink case for my phone. I use the Lifeproof cases, I use them up being hard on them and they are $79. The last time I went to buy one the pink ones where on sale for $39. What the hell. Who cares? I am always filthy and my clothes are all black and full of burn holes. I don't look like I have much or that I am trying to prove anything.

I also don't feel like I look. I often see myself in the mirror and the image just does not jive with how I feel about myself. I really don't look like a friendly, happy guy. But I am.

:D Ever ask others how they see you? Ask here since you posted a picture. Let's do it in a SHTF way of looking at you :D Have the guys rate you as a shoot first cause you look dangerous or a shoot last cause you look really friendly

I hadn't REALLY thought about how I come off towards strangers who are sizing me up until now, because of this thread.:)

But I realized that I purposely come off as; "I really don't give a ship who or what you are. You don't intimidate me, so keep your space".:rolleyes:

I make eye contact, but if they are trying to intimidate me with their look(s), I look back at them just long enough for them to see me looking back at them with my "back off dude" look.:)

I'll stay with that:)

image.jpg
:D Ever ask others how they see you? Ask here since you posted a picture. Let's do it in a SHTF way of looking at you :D Have the guys rate you as a shoot first cause you look dangerous or a shoot last cause you look really friendly

Ok fair enough, but then let's be realistic. I just had my shop mate snap a pic, this is how you are likely to encounter me as out and about. Do I look like I am trying to act tough or stand out? Do I look like a threat? Or do I just look like a guy it's probably just wise to let go about his business?

The only time Ill sheep down is when in a crowd.. And if we're at the point where Im going to be singled out in a crowd.. Odds are Ive been stripped of arms already or forced to scoot. There aint much I can do about that.

Ill dress as big and tall as I can. Layers also help with: additional clothing for family or first aid in a pinch as well as necessary cold temp clothing at night.
Darker colors aid in night travel, camo even better..

In a city, yes you'll standout.. Here in FG, you're no different than the next guy.

Now infiltration is a whole different subject.
Yes, by all means sheep down.

Pistols and PDWs for better concealment.
(AK pistols are ideal!)

I believe in hard targets, travel/trade in numbers with a few a short distance away to look for signs of trouble. It can be done.
Many helpful tips come from first hand experiances from the Bosnian civil war..
Clothing, food, what they could and should have had (small items) versus big awesome top of the line attention gaining equipment..etc.

And the other thing is, what could I do about it? I mean there is nothing I could do to make me less of a threat. This who I am so it's hard to look like something I am not.

Last Edited:
And the other thing is, what could I do about it? I mean there is nothing I could do to make me less of a threat. This who I am so it's hard to look like a 150lb 75 year old guy

In the picture you look like a working man by a number of things that stand out. Toes of your shoes and the type of shoe you wear. Pants are working man with the tool holder on the side plus all dark clothes that don't show dirt. Short hair to keep cleaner and bearded face to hold your lunch, working men are always hungry and will stash food everywhere.:D.

Hoody is a zip up because you do physical work and get hot, tats around neck cold be jail tats because not enough color shows. You dont look aggressive with your hands in your pockets but I would keep distance from you, you might have lost your job in today's economy and want to take up another line of work:D You realize I am joking righto_O

One more thing, black is a serious color. Don't believe me? Dress in pink and see how your buddies react

If I saw you walking down the street, my reaction would be;

What's this PUNK doing walking down the same street as I?:(

I shall DEMAND he remove his personage from my sight, for I shall NOT be falsely intimidated by his actions, nor his physical appearance.:(

For looking wimpy may be his disguise, harboring a deep dark heart, filled with the vengeance of a thousand murderers.:(

Or, depending on my mood that day, I may think; "OH, Goody! Here comes the man with the pink phone!":D

View attachment 117191

Ok fair enough, but then let's be realistic. I just had my shop mate snap a pic, this is how you are likely to encounter me as out and about. Do I look like I am trying to act tough or stand out? Do I look like a threat? Or do I just look like a guy it's probably just wise to let go about his business?

I would pass you by, We are about the same size. So an unarmed confrontation would come down to hand to hand skill and luck. I am quite bit younger than most members here so I still have youth on my side. Whatever that counts for. But i fight in the gym and I know what pounds can mean between equally skilled/unskilled people.

I also live in Seattle and agree that you 100% blend in with the general populace. Its funny because dressing "homeless" and having tattoo's are two of the main ways of dressing in Seattle as I am sure you know. So its perfect that you cover both bases. It is easy to blend in here if you wear coats, pants, hats and gloves! The cold weather makes it easy to look like you dress homeless :rolleyes:

When I lived downtown I had multiple interactions with unsavory people, They would also steer clear of you I believe. I notice they like to pick on smaller framed people who are often preoccupied by their phone or something else. When I used to go down to the corner bodega, I would always see people being hassled by bums and gang members. After awhile they all recognized me and didn't really pay me any attention. I guess after seeing me day after day, I was not so much a target as a familiar face from "The Ave" (their words)

And the other thing is, what could I do about it? I mean there is nothing I could do to make me less of a threat. This who I am so it's hard to look like a 150lb 75 year old guy
Exactly.

I am 6'6" and weigh 250#

I don't look massive, but I am a tall guy (when I weighed 100# as a teen at the same height, I looked literally like a bean pole) and sometimes my size intimidates people - sometimes that is good, sometimes bad. I certainly standout in a crowd simply because I am literally head and shoulders above most people.

Not much I can do about it. It is hard to shrink and blend in - short people can do things to look taller, but tall people are hard pressed to look shorter. I wish I was average height for multiple reasons.

From the toes up:
Serious work-stompers
Trousers of a tool-handler
Coat and tee of a "this will still do" practical thinker
Tats reflect entrenural opportunistic advertising
Face looks expressive: "you want me to do it for free? Sigh!"
Colors Brown, green, black: The colors of nature! Hug a tree! will blend in for sure!

Exactly.

I am 6'6" and weigh 250#

I don't look massive, but I am a tall guy (when I weighed 100# as a teen at the same height, I looked literally like a bean pole) and sometimes my size intimidates people - sometimes that is good, sometimes bad. I certainly standout in a crowd simply because I am literally head and shoulders above most people.

Not much I can do about it. It is hard to shrink and blend in - short people can do things to look taller, but tall people are hard pressed to look shorter. I wish I was average height for multiple reasons.

I have read and been told that some companies only hire tall people as supervisors:D

I have read and been told that some companies only hire tall people as supervisors:D
I have somehow found myself in a lead position for the project I am working on.

Believe me, being borderline Aspergers, I don't want it. But someone had to do it and I somehow found myself in that position because no one else would voice their opinion on technical issues the way I did.

It is nice to be able to have input on the direction the project is going with regards to the technical details, but it is a hassle keeping track of what is going on and who is doing what, especially when at least some of your people are sub-par (there is always at least one) and don't seem to listen to my direction.

I would much prefer that someone more competent than I am were the lead. That said, the previous lead, was short, but also very dominant and controlling and in some major areas, incompetent (technically, and a poor communicator), so I am an improvement - I just wish someone else had the job, but there is no one else on the team that is competent enough or who has stepped up to the plate like I did when the lead left (forced out).

But yes, statistically, taller people make more and often find themselves in higher positions of power than shorter people. I will take the money, and I like the input I have, but I don't like the responsibility or having to manage people.

Once the project is deployed, we'll see what happens. I may be able to go back to just being another member of the team.

There is a point in your life if you get old enough you will look like food. You realize that most are younger , faster and stronger so all you have is your wits and experience. The experience comes from being able to read people and their intentions and the wits come with the tactics for dealing with them.

All people profile, they read what they think they see in you. When it comes that time they get aggressive hopefully they won't realize they didn't get the profile right until it's to late for themo_O

Yeah because those sizing me up may have underestimated me, I look fat but I carry a full sized XDM40 with 16 round magazines X3 and 2 knives (1 folder & 1 long shank double sided fixed blade) I'm loaded for bear & my sore neck still swivels pretty good....:eek: For an older phart I can still mix it if I have to, hopefully I'll have time to recuperate afterwards....:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top