JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I posted this in another thread. Then thought I would move it here. To get more opinions?

Folks say don't wear camo. Especially in a bug out!

So, I was thinking if somebody wants or needs your stuff. And there willing to use violence to get it.
It wont matter if your not wearing camouflage. Or have a military/ badass look to you.

This is true in a survival situation. Or just walking through a bad neighborhood.

I'm not sure I buy into the '' non-confrontational'' look.

It's up to you. But take a look at how nature dose things. A coral snake is red, yellow and black for a reason. It stands out! So are many poison frogs and bugs.
A rattlesnake tells you where it is. Buy making noise. A porcupine dose not look pleasing to the touch! And a skunk has a distinctive look and smell you won't forget. This strategy repeats it's self over and over in nature.

Heck, some animals have evolved to just look like another dangerous animal. There running a bluff. And it works!

There must be something to it. Or why would the world be this way?

Maybe it plays on our fears [We know thieves to be mostly cowards]. Or our intellect [Must be an easier meal somewhere else]. I'm not sure? But millions of years of evolution should prove something.

I want phycology on my side.
I will want to look like a wolf. Among wolves and jackals. Not a sheep.
If you want to go up against me. Then you go up against the voice in your head saying. ''I should probably leave this thing alone''.

Last Edited:
Well.... I am six foot, 225 lbs. My arms and neck are covered tattoo's. I have a shaved head and goatee. If times warrant it I will be carting around at least two firearms, one will be a evil black rifle. I also make my living as a blacksmith. I look like I work with my hands and typically am dirty, gruff and could often probably be mistaken for homeless (at the end of the day I am pretty filthy)

I doubt I will be mistaken for a fluffy farm yard animal.

I live in the city and have to often be in areas that are not desirable. I find the best thing to do is to appear to be sure of yourself, unafraid and ready to act. That goes for if your stopping for coffee or its the end of the world. Now not everyone has the physical appearance to intimidate but still you should do everything you can to not appear as a victim, weak or a target. Most all violence is directed at a target that the perpetrator has determined is weak. When you show strength, even if your not strong, its likely they will move along to something easier. There is no shortage of marks.

So yeah, I dont want to be a wolf. I want to be the guy the wolves steer clear of.

Here is my "Dont F with me" face I will share if you if you insist on calling me out or being a problem. :)

225307_1057364841403_6157260_n.jpg

BTW, I am actually a very soft and friendly guy. I deplore violence and will do my best to avoid any conflict possible. My personality is not that of a thug or MMA fighter, But more of a geeky bookworm. Looks can be deceiving.

Often the "wolves" are not wolves at all. They are pretending to be wolves. They are not the biggest threat out there.

Walk softly, cause no trouble. Be aware and look like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Last Edited:
There is a big difference in thinking humans and animals. While looks really do matter what looks do is set the killers tactics up. How many big black men are killed in Chicago daily? Certanly by their looks people should fear them but they get murdered none the less.

My only point by looking harmless is it may put someone off guard enough to be able to fight back. If I look dangerous they will jump me and give me no chance. Threat assessment and I try not to look threatening.o_O

You could say people won't attack you if you look armed but the killer can see by your demeanor if you are willing to use your weapon. Mike Brown made that mistake when he attacked an armed cop. He thought that baby face would never kill him and Brown knew what a killer looked like imho.
The Brown shooting also proves just because you carry a gun in the open doesn't mean you won't get attacked.

Camo is fine in the woods but looks tactical on the street. Just my opinion and it's worth what you are paying for it:D

1) There will be people who will try to target/confront people simply because they look different. This is human nature.

2) If you were going to attack a group of people, would you not want to first take out the one that looks the most likely to be a threat?

3) You don't have to wear camo to fade away into the woods. Simply wearing muted colors such as forest green or brown, works very well in my experience.

4) There will be people you want to cooperate with you, who will be put off by the camo look.

Poisonous/dangerous creatures in the wild are brightly colored to attract prey (frogs, snakes, etc.). Porcupines, skunks, whatever, do not stand out, but they also do not blend in. They are just..... there. Left alone for the most part. Evolution and everything around them know what they are, and what they are capable of.

If you are in a bug out situation do you want to stand out? Brightly colored? Attracting prey? Probably not. You want to blend in and just be left alone.

In public, you see the "bad-ass_s" walking around trying to make a statement. As said before, they will probably be one of the first to be taken out (with a long distant shot).

The meek and timid probably will not be "out walking around" with an attitude look about them. Yes, they will also probably "targeted" whenever possible.

I find dressing and "fitting in" seems to be better than standing out. I try and "fit in" with my surroundings. I don't stand out, and I don't walk around with my head hung low making no eye contact. I am just..... there.

Not a threat and not a victim. But ready for whatever may happen. I may be the guy carrying a primary and a back-up and 3 magazines for each, talking to you about how the check-out lines are ridiculously long.... No one is none the wiser......

You said it..... "I will want to look like a wolf. Among wolves and jackals. Not a sheep."

I was in Grants Pass Fred Meyer yesterday, turned a corner, and found a 6' tall guy who looked to be in his mid 20's wearing all black clothes/hat that made him look like an ISIS member....INCLUDING the face mask!

CODE RED!

I kept a real close eye on him, and actually followed him around (at a distance) to get a feel for what he was up to.

What was/is his motive?
Intimidation?????

When I see someone who "Looks Bad", it only heightens my normal sense of alertness......

But I am aware that most who try to look bad only do it because they AREN'T bad, but just insecure.:(

This guy eventually met up with his "Mother or Grandmother", an obese woman in her 50's.

Good job raising that dude..........

I totally agree, the last thing you want to do is come off as "tough guy". Especially if it's an act (which it almost always is, most real tough guys don't strut around looking like billy badass)

You don't want to call attention to yourself, you don't want to look like your looking for trouble. At the same time you don't want to shout victim. It's not hard to be part of the crowed while still being confident.

In my case yeah I am tattooed and gruff, but I also was raised on a farm, considerate and if you spend 10 seconds talking to me obviously not a tough guy or a thug. I have been judged for how I look, it does not really bother me. It really says far more about the person doing the judging than me.

One thing I do that is probably not a good thing is I look everyone in the eye. Walking down the street I make eye contact with anyone coming towards me that is looking in my direction. I suppose it's part of growing up in a small town. In the big city I have often felt that I would be better off not acknowledging guys who I don't wish to provoke, however it's not something that is easy to turn off.

I posted this in another thread. Then thought I would move it here. To get more opinions?

Folks say don't wear camo. Especially in a bug out!

So, I was thinking if somebody wants or needs your stuff. And there willing to use violence to get it.
It wont matter if your not wearing camouflage. Or have a military/ badass look to you.

This is true in a survival situation. Or just walking through a bad neighborhood.

I'm not sure I buy into the '' non-confrontational'' look.

It's up to you. But take a look at how nature dose things. A coral snake is red, yellow and black for a reason. It stands out! So are many poison frogs and bugs.
A rattlesnake tells you where it is. Buy making noise. A porcupine dose not look pleasing to the touch! And a skunk has a distinctive look and smell you won't forget. This strategy repeats it's self over and over in nature.

Heck, some animals have evolved to just look like another dangerous animal. There running a bluff. And it works!

There must be something to it. Or why would the world be this way?

Maybe it plays on our fears [We know thieves to be mostly cowards]. Or our intellect [Must be an easier meal somewhere else]. I'm not sure? But millions of years of evolution should prove something.

I want phycology on my side.
I will want to look like a wolf. Among wolves and jackals. Not a sheep.
If you want to go up against me. Then you go up against the voice in your head saying. ''I should probably leave this thing alone''.

I believe the non conformance type idea is so the JackBoots don't identify you as a person with weapons or any military type training.The thugs and thieves won't really give a rat's patuty what you are wearing,only if you can act like Iron Monster,lol
BTW IM,my grandson would see you as a good guy since my son and most of his mates look like you.
I don't think clothing will make that big of difference as to what bad guys will go after.If it gets to a EOTWAWKI then everyone will wear what's available.I'm sure there will be certain things that will keep the scum away.
As IM stated he 'looks' like he may be homeless by the end of the day.Big difference is what his hands look like.They are most likely grissled,so he must work,so he probably isn't soft enough to be an easy target.
How you carry yourself will make the big difference.How confident you act when approached by scum or how you move to keep distance and an advantage of space.
Only twice in 25?+- years of off and on carrying have I had to "show my cards" by putting a hand on a weapon,never having to draw it though.I think little things you do to show street scum you are carrying,will be more important than the clothes you are wearing.
Too nice of wears? They may want to test your resolve if you look to have wealth.

One thing I do that is probably not a good thing is I look everyone in the eye. Walking down the street I make eye contact with anyone coming towards me that is looking in my direction. I suppose it's part of growing up in a small town. In the big city I have often felt that I would be better off not acknowledging guys who I don't wish to provoke, however it's not something that is easy to turn off.
Nah,look 'em in the eye then ignore them.
I worked down town Tacoma and Seattle for years. We would acknowledge the pos' then stop looking so they don't come ask for money or cigs.
Or the 'Get the bubblegum away from me!" look,which I have a pretty natural one of those,lol

But I am aware that most who try to look bad only do it because they AREN'T bad, but just insecure.:(
And or they want attention.

*cough*

guys in their 30's to 60's with tattoos and earrings, leather vests with some MC club insignia, leather chaps, riding a chromed up Harley (or clone) with loud pipes

or guys with a KIA (or Toyota Camry, etc.) lowered and a big wing bolted to the trunk and a megaphone exhaust

*cough*

Honastly I don't think I fit in either of those catagorys. I drive a 2010 Nissan, the cheapest plain Jane version you can get. I got nothing to prove. Hell I have a bright pink case for my phone. I use the Lifeproof cases, I use them up being hard on them and they are $79. The last time I went to buy one the pink ones where on sale for $39. What the hell. Who cares? I am always filthy and my clothes are all black and full of burn holes. I don't look like I have much or that I am trying to prove anything.

I also don't feel like I look. I often see myself in the mirror and the image just does not jive with how I feel about myself. I really don't look like a friendly, happy guy. But I am.

I like the old saying. "If you look like food you will be eatin ." there's a lot of truth to that. Keep your head up and on a swivel , make eye contact but not to the point of a challenge, last but not least in a post SHTF world you better be ready to act first.
A guy who survived in Sarajevo during the war in the 90s said " if in any doubt shoot first then haul butt out of there."
We can argue all day about the ethics of this but its what saved his life on more than one occasion.

I don't act aggressively. But I dress honestly
I'm ex-military. And it shows.

I will not flaunt my guns. But if all heck breaks loose. I will look like someone who may have one.

People will always size each other up. And I don't think looking meek is what you want to show somebody looking for an easy mark? Yes it would be nice not to be seen in a bug-out scenario. But if you are seen. What do you want to be seen as?

Someone without a weapon dose not have much ability to take your gun. And someone with a gun already. Will need to want yours enough to risk death to try and take it.

I think most marauders will be looking for food, shelter, and when desperate, ammo and other things.
They may get all the ammo they need when killing softer looking targets for food? And not need to risk there necks coming after you for your guns and ammo?

I will say it again. If somebody want's what you have. They have to first make the choice to take it.
Before they take the action.

The way they size you up may make a difference. But the decision is theirs to make. You can't control that. You can only react.

Now you may never see the people that turn and walk away. But your appearance will be part of their decision.

We all have Ideas on how to project our image. They all have pros and cons. You all should do as you see fit. I suppose the ARMY had an influence on my outlook.
Dont tread on me.png

And of course the other thing is for my age ( mid 40's) and where I live (Seattle) I don't really stand out.

Now if I moved back to my home town in Idaho of 3000 people 130 miles from the closest real town, yeah, I would have a harder time blending in.

Where I live Carharts are the norm, I make a point of using normal detergent and no bleach so my bibs don't fade. I now avoid denim and stick with other dark colors
BTW
WROL
anyone appears in my area dressed like ISIS will be wearing those clothes a long time

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top