JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thats because of the M-1. Once that rifle was changed out everything else was a magazine. Yes it takes time for people to change their vocabulary but its 2023. Maybe they are in their 40's thats the 80s and the AR platform had been in use for 30+ years. Anyway, The title of editor implies that their job is to know better, or at least to be able to do research.
Dude, you should just drop it.

:s0140:

I was in the military in the 90's. We didn't call magazines"clips". We didn't put clips in our magazine pouches on our LBV.
We loaded magazines by using a "stripper clip guide" to allow pushing the rounds out of the stripper clip into the magazine.

How would that conversation even work if you used the terms interchangeably?

"You place the clip guide onto the clip, and then you insert the clip into the clip guide and using your thumb you push the rounds from the clip down through the clip guide and into the clip."

LOL!

Thats because of the M-1. Once that rifle was changed out everything else was a magazine. Yes it takes time for people to change their vocabulary but its 2023. Maybe they are in their 40's thats the 80s and the AR platform had been in use for 30+ years. Anyway, The title of editor implies that their job is to know better, or at least to be able to do research.
I don't disagree. Like I said, I'd have more or less tolerance depending on when it was written.

I was in the military in the 90's. We didn't call magazines"clips". We didn't put clips in our magazine pouches on our LBV.
We loaded magazines by using a "stripper clip guide" to allow pushing the rounds out of the stripper clip into the magazine.

How would that conversation even work if you used the terms interchangeably?

"You place the clip guide onto the clip, and then you insert the clip into the clip guide and using your thumb you push the rounds from the clip down through the clip guide and into the clip."

LOL!
It seems like the early 90s was a transitional period. Others have shared a different experience than you.

I was just talking about this subject a while back, with a friend at the range. He said he cringes any time he hears "clip", because of all the push-ups he had to do for using it wrong himself.

I never had to do any push-ups, so it doesn't really bother me.

I was just talking about this subject a while back, with a friend at the range. He said he cringes any time he hears "clip", because of all the push-ups he had to do for using it wrong himself.

I never had to do any push-ups, so it doesn't really bother me.
It's slightly personal for me when people imply that you have to be a noob to use "clip". My old man used it until the day he died. Here's a small sample of his competition plaques I display in my shop.

PXL_20230419_174238643.jpg

I don't disagree. Like I said, I'd have more or less tolerance depending on when it was written.

It seems like the early 90s was a transitional period. Others have shared a different experience than you.
In TM 9-1005-319-x (1986) the Magazine is clearly described as a "magazine" as well as the magazine release clearly being described as such.

And this M14 manual from 1974 clearly describes the magazine as such as well as the clip guide as such.

I find no document to support your claim of the 90's being transitional to magazine and clip nomenclature.

I'll leave it at that.

Are we seriously arguing about magazines and clips?
No kidding! I can't believe they're making a deal about mere "GRAMS" of illegal drugs! 24.4 Grams of drugs? And the pot isn't even considered a "drug" any more than booze these days.
These guys were true amateur's.

It's just one of those perennial forum debates. You know, like 9mm vs 45 acp, but then that one was solved once and for all with the introduction of the.40 S&W…

;)
There is no argument. 45acp is better. There's no reason to use that old, dilapidated 9mm.

There is no argument. 45acp is better. There's no reason to use that old, dilapidated 9mm.
Well I do like .45 acp, since it is a little more modern than the older 9mm, but I still don't quite trust those new-fangled automatic pistols. I prefer my 1917 S&W revolver in .45 acp, and it uses clips! :cool:

(See what I did there?!)

As an old man, when I was a kid, everybody called them Clips.
Late 40's and 50's Its just a throwback. I think it started with the clips that held
rounds for the M1.
Yeah, I'm an old guy too, and I agree. And really, does it matter the word if
the listener understands. And why aren't we bubblegumin' about changing
"game ending homer" to "walk off homer?' Or "preview" to "movie trailer?'
Or . . . . . . . . .? I just needed a rant today.

Dude, you should just drop it.

:s0140:
Speaking of clips, I only buy the drop-free variety. Except when it comes to Mannlicher-style clips. It's a huge pain when those don't drop free, kind of like when an en-bloc clip doesn't eject. Now take moon clips- their only purpose is to eject, but I digress...

How's that for drifting?
1681947785521.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews