JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So me and a friend are looking to get into the longer range game soon but don't have any experience past about 200 yards. We will be shooting 600-1k yards with 6.5 creedmoor, what would be a appropriate magnification for those distances? We'll be sticking with vortex because of a family members huge discount.

You can get to a grand with 12-14x no problem. Remember, the more magnification the worse the FOV and eye relief.

I use the Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56 on my 6.5 CM. That magnification range is great for a moving target or static. You don't need a lot of magnification for hunting big game. spend your time and money on training in long range shooting. with your 6.5 CM you will get about 2.5 MIL of drop and not much push from the wind at 500 yds. 700 yds will go to about 7.4 MIL and the wind will start pushing your projo a lot more. the wind is the hardest thing to overcome and learning how to call it on the spot is a PITA.

You can get to a grand with 12-14x no problem. Remember, the more magnification the worse the FOV and eye relief.

This. Eye relief becomes more critical as magnification increases. Make sure you have parallax adjustment as well. You said you'd be shooting groups, so I suggest a second focal plane reticle that allows the target to "grow" with magnification with your reticle remaining the same. It makes it alpear you're being more "precise". The problem is that it pretty much nullifies any compensating ability your reticle has, except at the power identified in your manual. If I have a second focal plane scope, I generally don't bother paying for a fancy reticle.

Many shooters tend to go overboard with magnification; more is better, right? The rule of thumb for rifle optic magnification is 1x power for every 100 yards of maximum range you plan on shooting; i.e. 10x if 1,000 yards will be your max shooting distance.

Spend the money on good quality glass rather than magnification; I also prefer fixed power scopes...

Many shooters tend to go overboard with magnification; more is better, right? The rule of thumb for rifle optic magnification is 1x power for every 100 yards of maximum range you plan on shooting; i.e. 10x if 1,000 yards will be your max shooting distance.

Spend the money on good quality glass rather than magnification; I also prefer fixed power scopes...

You see this especially with hunters. Your heartbeat is your worst enemy at 16x. I use a lot of fixed 4x and 6x scopes on hunting rifles that I use in really open country. It keeps me from fighting my own heartbeat.

You see this especially with hunters. Your heartbeat is your worst enemy at 16x. I use a lot of fixed 4x and 6x scopes on hunting rifles that I use in really open country. It keeps me from fighting my own heartbeat.

Agreed. For the vast majority of big game hunting a 2.5x or 2.75x score will be perfectly suited. Varmint hunting however, that's an entirely different set of circumstances...

Exactly! 12x maximum. I prefer the best glass! I have Leupold, Vortex, and a Swarovski. I have to say that you get what you pay for but you can get quality glass from Vortex, especially if you get a good price.

Where would a shooter go to shoot long distance on this side of the Cascades??

not quite on the drawing boards yet but still in the (realistic) planning stage is ARPC's 1000 yard range. The acquired the extra needed space a couple years ago just for such expansion.

They plan ahead & build only when the funds are on hand for specific project. I expect it to be actually constructed within the next few years.

Thanks for the information guys. it's gonna be a dedicated range gun, always from a bench or bipod, it'll be way too heavy to pack around hunting.

So get the best FFP scope you can afford and find someone qualified to train you. The hands on training andrange time is more valuable than any pice of gear.
Get at least a 20MOA scope base and good rings. The vortex branded Seekins rings are great if they will give a discount on those.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews