JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So me and a friend are looking to get into the longer range game soon but don't have any experience past about 200 yards. We will be shooting 600-1k yards with 6.5 creedmoor, what would be a appropriate magnification for those distances? We'll be sticking with vortex because of a family members huge discount.
If you are a young person with excellent vision you may get by with a 24 power for a while. Many do, but if you want X ring hits on a regular basis, you will need something with more magnification.
I think Vortex makes something with magnification over 50X, and if you plan on shooting in competition you will need it. Many people who shoot at 1000 yards and more shoot at steel plates that are the size of a human torso. If that is what you will be shooting at you can get by with less magnification. However, if you are shooting at NRA 600 yard targets at a distance of 600 yards, the X ring is only 6 inches across and it is a white X on a black background. If you have a black reticle against a black background, the reticle may in fact be invisible, and as far as I know, Vortex has no provision for an illuminated reticle.
Whatever you decide I hope you have fun doing it. Long range is quite the challenge. You will learn a lot about yourself, your gun, and your reloading techniques.
Yes, you will need to start reloading your own ammo if you plan to get good scores. Commercial ammo is fine out to 300 or 400 yards. Beyond that it will require some fine tuning.
Good luck and good shooting.;)

So me and a friend are looking to get into the longer range game soon but don't have any experience past about 200 yards. We will be shooting 600-1k yards with 6.5 creedmoor, what would be a appropriate magnification for those distances? We'll be sticking with vortex because of a family members huge discount.
Purchased Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor about 2 months ago. I went with the Viper PST 5-25 Gen II in First Focal Plane. I have shot out to 600 yards with it and I really enjoy it. With the muzzle break and heavy rifle, you stay on target and have plenty of magnification to see the hits on steel.

All I'll say, is don't skimp on the glass.

Cheap glass will hold you back in the accuracy and reliability Dept.

I'll also 2nd looking at the T-Rex sniper 101 videos. Lots of excellent information to be gleaned from them, AND they're free to watch.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top