JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have recently acquired a M&P 10 to go with my M&P 15. As the 10 is chambered in 308 I plan on using it for targets in the 100-200 yard range.
Is there a good scope that is not too big or expensive (under $400) that is worth looking at. I prefer stuff not made in china.
I have been the iron sight type for the past few decades but as time passes things get blurry, so I figured it was time to get a scope.
thanks.

I'd really go with something along the line of at least a Diamondback series minimum if you want to stick with Vortex. I have two Vortex Vipers on my longer range AR's, one in 308 and one in 223. I've had two Crossfire scopes, they did work as long as they were no where near the max power, became very much like a fish eye at higher power.

Under $400 and not made in China is not going to leave you many options.
I tried the DB 6-24, didn't like it much and sold it.
Went with an Arken 4-16x50 when they were $400 with all the extras like scope mount and caps.
7mBjES9l.jpg
I wound up using a Midwest Industries 1.93" mount instead of the one that came with it.
szWDUWAl.jpg

like this.

the Vipers are more than I wanted to spend.
and I'm only expecting to go out to about 200 yards max.
That would be a huge step up from the Crossfire lineup. I'm always looking at the classifieds for deals that I don't need, LOL. There's been some good optics lately. Wish you were closer, I'd let you borrow a Viper to test out. I never thought I'd spend that kind of $$$ on glass but cannot seem to go back now. The Diamondback is a very solid choice and will serve you well if you go that route. Another option is the Burris E series lineup. I have a couple and they are extremely clear at all focus ranges. Leupold is always a solid choice but tend to run more than a competitors step up line just for the name.

thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go with the diamondback but that Arken looks nice also and there are a couple places that have them for $414

I'd look at a Primary Arms with an ACSS reticle. It lets you get the range and compensate for distance quicker than you can think. They run in your price range. I use a 1-6 FFP on my AR308 and it's ideal from short distance out to 600 yards, so very versatile from hunting to self defense..

ACSS Scopes

For holdover, match something to one of the holdover bars that's about 18" wide (typical male shoulder width) and you are aimed. For 308. zero at 200 yards and for 5.56 zero at 100 yards.

1654923121617.png

I'd look at a Primary Arms with an ACSS reticle. It lets you get the range and compensate for distance quicker than you can think. They run in your price range. I use a 1-6 FFP on my AR308 and it's ideal from short distance out to 600 yards, so very versatile from hunting to self defense..

ACSS Scopes

For holdover, match something to one of the holdover bars that's about 18" wide (typical male shoulder width) and you are aimed. For 308. zero at 200 yards and for 5.56 zero at 100 yards.

View attachment 1218980
IMO, a 1-6x is perfect for an AR-15, but for an AR-10 a 1-10x would be ideal.

For $500 the Sig MSR 1-10x28 with 34mm tube looks promising, still made in China but comes with everything, mount, cap's and a throw lever, though the way it attaches looks iffy.

I used a Primary Arms 1-8 SFP on my .308 at first.
The 1-8 they have coming out looks pretty slick, It's the Plx line made in Japan with the price tag to match.

SWFA has scopes not made in China for $400, fixed 10 power though.
An offset red dot or iron sights would take care of close up stuff.

I'd be patient. Continue to use irons and save your cash until you can buy higher quality. A scope isn't something I normally go low budget with.

Inexpensive doesn't always mean cheap. It usually does mean China, but most scopes are chock full of Chinese glass and parts regardless of where it was "made" including the US and Europe. Not what I prefer but it is what it is.

For a great bargain and a tough scope, check out the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x42, made in The Philippines. https://www.natchezss.com/burris-fu...-3-1-3-4-er-ballistic-plex-reticle-matte.html

If you want a little more magnification, they also offer it in 4.5-14x42 with old school adjustable parallax on the objective (newer side focus is much easier to adjust, but look at the price!). https://www.natchezss.com/burris-fu...7-5-3-1-3-8-ballistic-plex-reticle-matte.html

IMO, these Philippines scopes are the best bargain available right now. I am tempted to order another one myself.

For a great bargain and a tough scope, check out the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x42, made in The Philippines. https://www.natchezss.com/burris-fu...-3-1-3-4-er-ballistic-plex-reticle-matte.html

If you want a little more magnification, they also offer it in 4.5-14x42 with old school adjustable parallax on the objective (newer side focus is much easier to adjust, but look at the price!). https://www.natchezss.com/burris-fu...7-5-3-1-3-8-ballistic-plex-reticle-matte.html

IMO, these Philippines scopes are the best bargain available right now. I am tempted to order another one myself.
I agree, I suggested it earlier as well. For the money the Vortex DB or Burris cannot be beat.

Sig Tango 4 4-16 can be found for around $420 ( https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer...P-MOA-Illum-Reticle-Side-Focus-025-MOA-A.aspx ) or save a little more and get something like this for $649:

Made in the Philippines, very good glass for the money and will help you clearly see your hits at 200.

The Sig MSR 1-6 at $239 including mount is hard to beat, but made in China.

This is also a good place to look for open box/demo deals:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads