JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
not quite on the drawing boards yet but still in the (realistic) planning stage is ARPC's 1000 yard range. The acquired the extra needed space a couple years ago just for such expansion.

They plan ahead & build only when the funds are on hand for specific project. I expect it to be actually constructed within the next few years.

.50 BMG?

unsure of details, but considering the popularity it would not surprise me if it were included; I've shot the BMG on both the 75 and 200 yard range there in past years.

Don't consider my comments as binding on the club; they have a pace and plan of their own.

I will keep it in mind. ARPC is a 90 minute drive for me each way, so not as convenient, but still better than driving over the mountains and finding some BLM land I can shoot on that is safe to shoot at 1k or more.

You can get some good info from Rex Tibor here by watching the scope videos:

Cliff's notes version: Start with a SWFA Super Sniper 10x. Solid repeatable turrets and excellent glass. Also used in combat by snipers for years with a good track record. Also inexpensive at around $200. Use this scope until your skills exceed it's capabilities then spend 15x that to get one that's better.

So me and a friend are looking to get into the longer range game soon but don't have any experience past about 200 yards. We will be shooting 600-1k yards with 6.5 creedmoor, what would be a appropriate magnification for those distances? We'll be sticking with vortex because of a family members huge discount.

is this family member get a military/LE discount or something else? I know Leupold offers 45% off MSRP for Military/LE.
If you decide to go with Leupold you should look at the VX-6 7-42. It's an awesome piece of glass.

Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60X if you have the funds. Excellent glass and very good reviews.

You can dial a high magnification scope down, but you can't dial a low magnification scope up.

Even at 100 and 200 yards, I shoot at 32x, 50x and 55x with three of the scopes I own. No way would I got back to a lesser magnification scope if I didn't have to. Only time I dial any of my high magnification scopes down is when the mirage is running hard.

I have a LOT of experience in this game, and the one thing I always tell folks just starting out, Spend the money of the best glass you can afford, then spend even more on the reloading bench! I have consistently scored hits at beyond 2000 meters with a max magnification of 15X and never thought I needed any more then that! Having used every brand while in the service, I still prefer NightForce for that type of work, and Mid 90s RedFields For most every thing else!

So me and a friend are looking to get into the longer range game soon but don't have any experience past about 200 yards. We will be shooting 600-1k yards with 6.5 creedmoor, what would be a appropriate magnification for those distances? We'll be sticking with vortex because of a family members huge discount.

I use a Nightforce Precision Benchrest 12-42 x 56 optic on my POF AR-10 Platform in 6.5 Creedmoor. I go out to Gun Site Hills near Athens Georgia a couple of times a year at their 800 Yard range. Yes Eye relief is a little tricky for beginners to use on a scope with this level of magnification, but practice is all that is needed to master this optic. I get some pretty respectable groups from the package and can highly recommend Nightforce Optics for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Yes they are expensive. But I remember what my Grandfather always told me... "Son, You just never quit paying for cheap". So your going to just spend a few hundred dollars on optics for a $2,000.00 Plus dollar rifle? Do you put cheap bubblegum set of Chinese tires on your Corvette? Or do you put on a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports? You out the expensive tires on it because that is what gives you the best performance and it's the same with your optics. You get what you pay for with Nightforce. As regards the small FOV? Aim Small, Miss Small!!!!!;)

You see this especially with hunters. Your heartbeat is your worst enemy at 16x. I use a lot of fixed 4x and 6x scopes on hunting rifles that I use in really open country. It keeps me from fighting my own heartbeat.
Do not be afraid of power. A lot of people fear it thinking it makes them shake more. This is totally incorrect. The added power lets you see just how much you are shaking to begin with. Getting the correct eye relief with higher power is more difficult but with practice it becomes second nature and is easy. Bottom line is you can't hit what you cannot see. If you can't see a half inch spot at 100 yards how do you expect to hit it? Thats 1 power from the eye. It will not get any better with 10 power at 1000 yards. Exact same level of power using 1 power at 100 yards and 10 power at 1000 yards. Get the power you need to see at the range you will be shooting and practice a lot. Good luck and have fun.

Do not be afraid of power. A lot of people fear it thinking it makes them shake more. This is totally incorrect. The added power lets you see just how much you are shaking to begin with.

It doesn't make you shake more, it magnifies your perception of it. It takes longer to settle into the shot causing more fatigue and more movement. Lower magnification gets you out of your head.

Think about non-magnified red dot sights. I have an Aimpoint PRO on one of my ARs. With a 2 MOA dot, I have no problem hitting an 10 inch plate at 300 yards without any magnification at all.

We ALL shake, to some degree. Welcome to being a mammal. Cranking up to 40x+ will NOT make you a better shooter. Controlled breathing, proper rifle handling and clean trigger release will. I can see my heart beat at 14x. As can everyone else here. Magnification doesn't make you better. It just exacerbates your human qualities.

I saw that leupold has a "affordable" lrp line that goes out to 25x and is 1k less than a similar vortex, I may go that route.

smartest thing i have read on the internet today :) I sold my PST when i got to look at the LRP. so happy i was able to look through one at the range and compare it side by side. The Leupold is a better scope no question about it.

It doesn't make you shake more, it magnifies your perception of it. It takes longer to settle into the shot causing more fatigue and more movement. Lower magnification gets you out of your head.

Think about non-magnified red dot sights. I have an Aimpoint PRO on one of my ARs. With a 2 MOA dot, I have no problem hitting an 10 inch plate at 300 yards without any magnification at all.

Its good that you can hit plates at 300 yards. But when you get to be my age and discover that Coca Cola no longer makes glass bottles as thick as I need for my glasses, a scope with gooooood magnification is a welcome friend for a session at the range!

Many people seem to think if they don't see themselves shake they aren't. Guess if you close your eyes you don't shake at all and hit the target every time. Work on control like Kruejl says but see what you want to hit.

At 800+ I find air temperature and heat waves from said temperature have quite an effect on what I am hoping to see through my glass. A sharp 2/3 silhouette at 100 looks clean and crisp to me. At 800+ it's a wobbly smeared mess. Regardless of power and glass quality. I've shot at distance looking through $500 scopes to well over a used Honda Civic. If it's warm and windy, it all looks like a mess to me. I've spent time behind a rifle at targets that can't be seen without help. But I have YET to find glass that can correct for air, wind, heat and all the other variables. Granted, I've never shot long distance through a scope that cost more than the rifle. I digress......

If your discount is that good, and you can afford it, I'd suggest the Vortex Razor, Nightforce NXS, Leupold Mk 8 or VX-6.
I've looked through Razors, a NXS, Swaro and high end Zeiss. The quality and clarity is remarkable when you're looking at $2K and up. I was recently drooling at a Mark 8 - an amazing piece of quality American glass.

@Kruejl mentioned the mirage effect - quality does affect your view. I have found a significant difference between my cheaper scopes and my high end ones on the same day.
The best scopes I have are the Sig Tango 6, Leupold VX7-L and a Mk 4. I have never regretted purchasing those. I have cheaper ones where I wish I had my money back....
I think the highest magnification I have is 16, but honestly don't really know -- I rarely push it above 10. I trust my eye at that magnification.

And then you find additions like Sun shades, barrel shrouds, kill flashes and other dodads and you see how big a challenge long distance shooting can be!
I find for my eyes at least, that a 5 in long Sun shade with a cloth wrapped barrel seems to help with mirage mitigation and having a first focal plane and learning to shift your eyes not only improves shooting performamce, it also eases eye fatigue! Learn the basics of body control and placememt, and learn breathing and heart beat control and timing, you will find vast improvements in your shooting performance at ranges you never though you could shoot!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top