Loading light

Reactions
I have a 300 win mag that I want to use to hunt deer. Not big ones either. Like Blacktail. Just don't have the Ca$h or time this year to get a new rifle. So I want to try some light loads for my 300 mag. Like getting it to shoot slower, like a 30-06 or 308. Every reloading book I have does not have a glaringly obvious write up about how to do this. Do I simply just use less powder? Where do I start researching this info?

Certaindeaf

Reactions
"youth loads" reloading is a good search term that will yield what you want.. I'd link it/them but it's a pdf or something. There are whole sections of manuals dedicated to reduced power loads.
You are right to not just drop down on the charge as some combinations can become/are nasty.
Good luck and you're doing what I'd do.

RVTECH

Reactions
You need to be careful as to simply 'using less powder'. Some magnums are sensitive as to how you go about toning down handloads and reducing powder for ANY load can be dangerous. For your 300 Win Mag you need to follow reduced loading data carefully. I see reduced data in several manuals I have so you might want to crack a few more to find what you are looking for.

Reactions
My Speer manual lists reduced loads for most cartridges including the 300WM. But the ones I saw were very reduced...down to 30-30 levels.

The lightest recommend load for any powder will have considerable reduced recoil. Check your manuals and I bet you can find lots of light loads in the 2900 fps range.

Reactions
Don't know what bullet weight that you want but Speer has reduced loads in their #9 and #12 manuals. They are using SR4759 for 150 and 165 gr. and IMR 4198 for 180gr. Velocities run 1700 to 2000fps. A starting load of 56 gr of Reloader #15 will put you around 2650 with 165 gr. That would put you near 308 level.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
Top Bottom