Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Loading light

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Vaultman, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Vaultman

Vaultman Clackamas Co, Oregon Active Member

I have a 300 win mag that I want to use to hunt deer. Not big ones either. Like Blacktail. Just don't have the Ca$h or time this year to get a new rifle. So I want to try some light loads for my 300 mag. Like getting it to shoot slower, like a 30-06 or 308. Every reloading book I have does not have a glaringly obvious write up about how to do this. Do I simply just use less powder? Where do I start researching this info?

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

"youth loads" reloading is a good search term that will yield what you want.. I'd link it/them but it's a pdf or something. There are whole sections of manuals dedicated to reduced power loads.
    You are right to not just drop down on the charge as some combinations can become/are nasty.
    Good luck and you're doing what I'd do.

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Use standard loads and shoot from far away.

4. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

You need to be careful as to simply 'using less powder'. Some magnums are sensitive as to how you go about toning down handloads and reducing powder for ANY load can be dangerous. For your 300 Win Mag you need to follow reduced loading data carefully. I see reduced data in several manuals I have so you might want to crack a few more to find what you are looking for.

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

You might want to take a look here:
    I know a few that use it as a reference point:
    http://ammoguide.com/

6. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

My Speer manual lists reduced loads for most cartridges including the 300WM. But the ones I saw were very reduced...down to 30-30 levels.

The lightest recommend load for any powder will have considerable reduced recoil. Check your manuals and I bet you can find lots of light loads in the 2900 fps range.

7. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Don't know what bullet weight that you want but Speer has reduced loads in their #9 and #12 manuals. They are using SR4759 for 150 and 165 gr. and IMR 4198 for 180gr. Velocities run 1700 to 2000fps. A starting load of 56 gr of Reloader #15 will put you around 2650 with 165 gr. That would put you near 308 level.

8. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

If you do decide to get down to 30-30 velocities, I'd think it'd be smart to use a bullet designed for those velocities.

9. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

the Hodgdon's site has a tutorial on using Trail Boss for reduced rifle loads as I recall. Unique is another powder some foks use for reduced loads,and my Lyman's has some for some guns.You might check mfgr/s websites for info.

10. Vaultman

Vaultman Clackamas Co, Oregon Active Member

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the help. Time to get reading.

11. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Will the barrels twist rate have any impact on performance?