JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 300 win mag that I want to use to hunt deer. Not big ones either. Like Blacktail. Just don't have the Ca$h or time this year to get a new rifle. So I want to try some light loads for my 300 mag. Like getting it to shoot slower, like a 30-06 or 308. Every reloading book I have does not have a glaringly obvious write up about how to do this. Do I simply just use less powder? Where do I start researching this info?

"youth loads" reloading is a good search term that will yield what you want.. I'd link it/them but it's a pdf or something. There are whole sections of manuals dedicated to reduced power loads.
You are right to not just drop down on the charge as some combinations can become/are nasty.
Good luck and you're doing what I'd do.

You need to be careful as to simply 'using less powder'. Some magnums are sensitive as to how you go about toning down handloads and reducing powder for ANY load can be dangerous. For your 300 Win Mag you need to follow reduced loading data carefully. I see reduced data in several manuals I have so you might want to crack a few more to find what you are looking for.

My Speer manual lists reduced loads for most cartridges including the 300WM. But the ones I saw were very reduced...down to 30-30 levels.

The lightest recommend load for any powder will have considerable reduced recoil. Check your manuals and I bet you can find lots of light loads in the 2900 fps range.

Don't know what bullet weight that you want but Speer has reduced loads in their #9 and #12 manuals. They are using SR4759 for 150 and 165 gr. and IMR 4198 for 180gr. Velocities run 1700 to 2000fps. A starting load of 56 gr of Reloader #15 will put you around 2650 with 165 gr. That would put you near 308 level.

the Hodgdon's site has a tutorial on using Trail Boss for reduced rifle loads as I recall. Unique is another powder some foks use for reduced loads,and my Lyman's has some for some guns.You might check mfgr/s websites for info.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top