JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a superlite in 223. That rifle gets more time out and about than any other I own.

I have a few T3 Lite's right now, my favorite is a stainless T3 that I had cut to 16.5" re-crowned and threaded. I run a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it with my suppressor and it is really fun to shoot. Very handy indeed!

I have the same problem as an unemployed doctor...... no patience:D.

I ordered a Kimber Montana today in 6.5 Creedmoor. All the other guns I was contemplating were months out of availability and I just couldn't wait that long. Hopefully it will arrive next week and I can get started on breaking in the barrel and load development.:)

Just got the Montana yesterday. Mounted up a Kahles 3-9x40 TDS and the whole thing weighs 6.3 pounds. I think this should work nicely!

Took the Montana out today with 4 different factory offerings from Hornady. The results were not very impressive to say the least, except for the cheapest box of ammo which was ok. I listed the results from the various bullet weights and ammo types below for those who may be interested...

I fired 3 individual 3 shot groups from a rest at 100 yards and 3 shots through a chronograph for each type of ammo listed, these are the average group and the average velocity for each load tested. Winds were calm and it was about 45 degrees outside with a light overcast/clouds.

Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 Grain ELD-X load #81499. Factory velocity of 2700 FPS.
Velocity: Shot #1:2666 FPS, Shot #2: 2655 FPS, Shot #3: 2673 FPS, Average: 2664 FPS.
Group size: #1: 2.161", #2: 1.005", #3: 1.532", Average: 1.566".

Hornady Superformance 6.5 Creedmoor 129 Grain SST load # 81496. Factory velocity of 2950 FPS.
Velocity: Shot #1: 2905 FPS, Shot #2: 2916 FPS, Shot #3: 2907 FPS, Average 2909 FPS.
Group size: #1: 1.630", #2: 3.332", #3: 6.250", Average: 3.337" (the worst performer).

Hornady American Whitetail 6.5 Creedmoor 129 Grain SP load # 81489. Factory velocity of 2820 FPS.
Velocity: Shot #1: 2710 FPS, Shot #2: 2753 FPS, Shot #3: 2780 FPS, Average 2748 FPS.
Group size: #1: 1.435", #2: 0.971", #3: 0.680", Average: 1.028",

Hornady Superformance 6.5 Creedmoor 120 Grain GMX load # 81490. Factory velocity of 3050 FPS.
Velocity: Shot #1: 3021 FPS, Shot #2: 3015 FPS, Shot #3: 3022 FPS, Average 3019 FPS.
Group size: #1: 3.255", #2: 2.710", #3: 3.246", Average: 3.070".

Both bullet weights in the Superformance ammo really sucked hard as far as accuracy goes with this particular rifle, it took a while to find the last bullet hole for group #3 of the 129 grain SST ammo. I could barely believe my eyes when my 6" caliper would not adjust large enough to measure that group. It was horrible in epic ways!

I think the American Whitetail 129 Grain spire points will probably work ok, as they have ok accuracy and decent velocity out of this rifle. I am certainly going to have to work up some loads for this rifle if I want better accuracy than an inch or so..... Off to the loading bench I go!

Took the Montana out today with 4 different factory offerings from Hornady. The results were not very impressive to say the least, except for the cheapest box of ammo which was ok. I listed the results from the various bullet weights and ammo types below for those who may be interested...

I fired 3 individual 3 shot groups from a rest at 100 yards and 3 shots through a chronograph for each type of ammo listed, these are the average group and the average velocity for each load tested. Winds were calm and it was about 45 degrees outside with a light overcast/clouds.

Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 Grain ELD-X load #81499. Factory velocity of 2700 FPS.
Velocity: Shot #1:2666 FPS, Shot #2: 2655 FPS, Shot #3: 2673 FPS, Average: 2664 FPS.
Group size: #1: 2.161", #2: 1.005", #3: 1.532", Average: 1.566".

Hornady Superformance 6.5 Creedmoor 129 Grain SST load # 81496. Factory velocity of 2950 FPS.
Velocity: Shot #1: 2905 FPS, Shot #2: 2916 FPS, Shot #3: 2907 FPS, Average 2909 FPS.
Group size: #1: 1.630", #2: 3.332", #3: 6.250", Average: 3.337" (the worst performer).

Hornady American Whitetail 6.5 Creedmoor 129 Grain SP load # 81489. Factory velocity of 2820 FPS.
Velocity: Shot #1: 2710 FPS, Shot #2: 2753 FPS, Shot #3: 2780 FPS, Average 2748 FPS.
Group size: #1: 1.435", #2: 0.971", #3: 0.680", Average: 1.028",

Hornady Superformance 6.5 Creedmoor 120 Grain GMX load # 81490. Factory velocity of 3050 FPS.
Velocity: Shot #1: 3021 FPS, Shot #2: 3015 FPS, Shot #3: 3022 FPS, Average 3019 FPS.
Group size: #1: 3.255", #2: 2.710", #3: 3.246", Average: 3.070".

Both bullet weights in the Superformance ammo really sucked hard as far as accuracy goes with this particular rifle, it took a while to find the last bullet hole for group #3 of the 129 grain SST ammo. I could barely believe my eyes when my 6" caliper would not adjust large enough to measure that group. It was horrible in epic ways!

I think the American Whitetail 129 Grain spire points will probably work ok, as they have ok accuracy and decent velocity out of this rifle. I am certainly going to have to work up some loads for this rifle if I want better accuracy than an inch or so..... Off to the loading bench I go!
Man I'd be pissed cause you can see what my $400 Ruger can do on a regular basis with the very ammo you were shooting.
I might have a talk with kimber about the accuracy.

Man I'd be pissed cause you can see what my $400 Ruger can do on a regular basis with the very ammo you were shooting.

Been that route with Kimber before on 3 other rifles, lets just say that their idea of acceptable accuracy and mine differ. I'll tinker around on the loading bench and find something that will work much better I am sure.

Thought maybe I might be able to get away with shooting some factory stuff with this rifle, but I guess not.

Been that route with Kimber before on 3 other rifles, lets just say that their idea of acceptable accuracy and mine differ. I'll tinker around on the loading bench and find something that will work much better I am sure.

Thought maybe I might be able to get away with shooting some factory stuff with this rifle, but I guess not.

I've had one Kimber, an 8400 Montana in .30-06. I never shot any factory ammo out of it, but my handloads easily outshot any of the ammo Greenbug shot with the exception of the American Whitetail and they weren't really tailored for that rifle.
If really wanting to try factory ammunition, there's a lot of manufacturers besides Hornady. If you're already a reloader, just keep buying the cheap Hornady, keep the brass and then get to work. I'll bet you can make something work well without too much effort.

How were you holding the rifle. I find that in light weight rifles a finger or two over the barrel or holding down on the sling a bit upfront tends to help accuracy. My Kimber Montana in 280 ai and a couple of lightweight Tikas I had responded better when shot this way. Might give it a try.

Many people have had that talk with Kimber. That's why they call it "Kimber roulette"....;)........ and another reason I vote Tikka T3x....

Many people have had that talk with Kimber. That's why they call it "Kimber roulette"....;)........ and another reason I vote Tikka T3x....

I've owned an 84M classic and two montanas in 308. One of the montanas shot decent, the other two went down the road. Started buying Tikkas when remington decided to make junk and havent turned back since. I'd buy winchesters too if I could afford them.

I only wish accuracy was my complaint.
Short version, I bought back the Ruger I'd sold, sold the Kimber and couldn't be happier.

The sad thing is, many people have had problems with Kimber. It is truly a shame because I think they are really on to something great. Basically a miniaturized model 70 receiver with good ol CRF and stainless steel. Now if they were more like a pre 64 model 70 and functioned 100% reliably and were as accurate, I'd be all over one in a heartbeat. But the sad truth of the matter is, they just aren't...

Do these folks make a Left Hand version? I think both Ruger and Savage do. Wondering about the other high end players.

I don't believe any on the OP's list come in lefty. If you are wanting a nice left hand model, I'd look into MRC. There's also the left hand Tikka T3 and Ruger Hawkeye and American left hand. The older Winchester model 70 classic came in left hand, but they are too dang expensive anymore. Zastava makes a left hand stainless CRF model as well....

I knew it was Kimber roulette when I bought it as I have played this game a few times before. That is why I am not overly upset about the first outing with the rifle and it's poor accuracy performance. I am sure I will find some loads that I can develop for the rifle to get better accuracy. I was hoping not to have to though....

Ordered some Lyman dies and a Lee case length trimmer gauge from Midway tonight, when they arrive then I can get down to business.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads