JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering a new light (not too light) hunting rifle. I have narrowed the caliber down to the new 6.5 Creedmoor, so I know what I want in that regard. Just wanted some input from some members here on what they think is a good rifle, any experience you might have with a particular rifle as it relates to function, weight, accuracy, and features would be appreciated in helping me make a decision. I am looking to spend $1000 to $1800 for the rifle, not including optics.

Here are some of the models I am considering:

Bergara Premier rifle
Kimber Mountain Ascent
Kimber Montana
Christensen Arms Mesa

Thanks in advance for your input!

I'd say go with either the Kimber or the Christensen. From there, you'd have to decide which style action you like more. The Kimber is like a Mauser or a Winchester Model 70 w/ controlled-round-feed. The Christensen is like a Remington 700 push-feed although the extractor is factory upgraded to an M-16 style.

I do like the controlled round feed option. I wish that Winchester made a model 70 extreme weather in 6.5 Creedmoor, that is probably what I would go with. I like the look and feel of the Kimbers, but I have owned a few and accuracy (consistency grouping) was very hit and miss for me in the 4 or so that I have had. The super curved trigger on the Kimber was also kind of annoying since I have big sausage fingers. I always seemed to catch the bottom point of the trigger shoe with my trigger finger instead of the natural position in the curve of the trigger.

I have a few Tikka's right now and they are incredibly accurate shooters regardless of caliber. I am not too fond of the plastic stock however. Does anyone make a good quality aftermarket lightweight stock for the T-3's that isn't going to break the bank?

The Bergara Premier looks very nice and I have held one at Sportsman's and it feels good as well. The test group on the rifle was impressive at around 3/10ths of and inch. Just seems like a lot of money at $1899 for a relatively new/unknown brand on the market. Anybody shot one of these?

Cooper's are really nice, however to get a repeater style rifle from them in a lightweight gun it would certainly blow my budget.

I am considering a new light (not too light) hunting rifle. I have narrowed the caliber down to the new 6.5 Creedmoor, so I know what I want in that regard. Just wanted some input from some members here on what they think is a good rifle, any experience you might have with a particular rifle as it relates to function, weight, accuracy, and features would be appreciated in helping me make a decision. I am looking to spend $1000 to $1800 for the rifle, not including optics.

Here are some of the models I am considering:

Bergara Premier rifle
Kimber Mountain Ascent
Kimber Montana
Christensen Arms Mesa

Thanks in advance for your input!
What is your weight range? Mossberg has some nice rifles that are 8 pounds but that is normal. On you list I would go with the Kimber Mountain Ascent but on thing to look at is that it is at $2,040 so it is $240 out of your price range.

Weight range of 5.5 to 6.5 pounds. The MSRP of the Kimber Ascent is $2040, but the street price is $1650-$1850.
No Mossberg, Savage, etc... I am sure they are just fine, but they are not for me.

What "total" weight range are you looking at? And, what is the application? And, what is your terrain and shooting range you are looking at?

Total weight with scope, mounts, ammo etc I would like to be around 7-8 pounds. Wide variety of terrain from dense underbrush blacktail country to wide open sage flats for antelope & mule deer. I would like to be capable from zero to 500 yards, but that does not really come into play regarding the rifle as I have already determined the cartridge. Unless someone is suggesting a really short barrel that would decrease velocity and range from the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge.

Mostly deer and antelope with the occasional coyote of opportunity.

Would like the rifle to have a 22"-24" barrel, a muzzle break would be a plus, but is not a deal breaker if it does not come with one.

Looking at the Tikka T3X now and getting a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock to replace the factory plastic. That would put the rifle in at just under $1000, and I think I could live with that. Now just to find a Tikka in stock somewhere in 6.5 Creedmoor that isn't a heavy barrel.......

Looking at the Tikka T3X now and getting a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock to replace the factory plastic. That would put the rifle in at just under $1000, and I think I could live with that. Now just to find a Tikka in stock somewhere in 6.5 Creedmoor that isn't a heavy barrel.......

Sportsmans Warehouse will carry the T3x Superlite with stainless fluted barrel...

Of any of those listed below, I don't think you'd kick a single one out of your safe. The Bergara is a beast.
I would go Kimber Mountain Ascent or Kimber Montana, from what I've seen of their rifles.
I included Sako (7mm-08) because those are awesome rifles.
I've been looking at actions from Montana Rifle Company (MRC), and though I've never held one of their rifles, reviews about them glow. Same blueprint as a Remington, controlled feed, something your great-grand-kids will still be shooting.

upload_2017-2-27_20-40-47.png

The Bergara I was looking at is the premier mountain, it is 6.3 pounds if I remember right.

The Montana Rifle Company X2 was intriguing as well....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top