JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I shipped a revolver off for custom work in early 2021 from a Fed Ex office and they charged an arm & leg for it $155!! I called around and no one locally wanted to ship. I think sooner or later the shipping of firearms will be a tactic used to cut into sales both from business and private citizens. There is UPS office 1 block from me and refuses to accept anything firearm related for shipping. I sold a small 22 rimfire mag for a older MArlin and I just casually mentioned it and he stopped handed it back and absolutely not from his store. He has the right to refuse as does any business but I won't use them for anything again regardless of convenience.

FedEx 2 day firearm shipping. And those are usually about $10
I'd have to see this to believe it.

When I liquidated the bulk of my holdings, I shipped long guns myself through the US Post Office. I generated the label at home, I'd schedule it to be picked up at my home by the carrier on their rounds the next day.

Handguns, I shipped through a local FFL who did the packing and shipping for a modest cost. Which was mostly paid for by the shipping fees I'd charge the buyer. My experiences as a non-FFL dealer shipping handguns through a common carrier have been mixed. More than once, a misinformed counter clerk posed difficulties for me. The FFL dealers may ship handguns through the USPS.

My liquidation was mostly done by the time I discovered Shipmygun. And I'd considered doing it, but I was leery of the claims process should that become necessary. I've read that some non-FFL shippers using Shipmygun have been challenged by counter clerks about their use of the service.

Done properly, packing a long gun for shipment can involve some time. Typically, I'd go to my FFL dealer and get a box that had been used to deliver a gun to him, and reuse that. Well cushioned inside. Yes, there are premiums for over-length packages. Be sure to calculate that into the amount you quote for shipping.

so the banks dont investigate anything? Can they take the money out of your account if the buyer hasnt shipped the gun back to you?
In the US the system is set HEAVILY in favor of the buyer. To the point I am sure there is some abuse. The seller can try to fight it but, the bank will lean heavily towards the person with the card. Its why I have long said I do not for the life of me understand the people who insist on using some other form of payment crying a river when they get burned. Now as for sellers? Have to guess part of taking plastic is the cost of having to eat some claims. The seller has to pay to get the item back from the buyer if the buyer claims the item was not as claimed. So seller can offer a return label. Now if buyer ignores this, or sends back a rock? Not sure what hoops the seller has to jump through to fight this and try to get their money back from the bank.

When I liquidated the bulk of my holdings, I shipped long guns myself through the US Post Office. I generated the label at home, I'd schedule it to be picked up at my home by the carrier on their rounds the next day.

Handguns, I shipped through a local FFL who did the packing and shipping for a modest cost. Which was mostly paid for by the shipping fees I'd charge the buyer. My experiences as a non-FFL dealer shipping handguns through a common carrier have been mixed. More than once, a misinformed counter clerk posed difficulties for me. The FFL dealers may ship handguns through the USPS.

My liquidation was mostly done by the time I discovered Shipmygun. And I'd considered doing it, but I was leery of the claims process should that become necessary. I've read that some non-FFL shippers using Shipmygun have been challenged by counter clerks about their use of the service.

Done properly, packing a long gun for shipment can involve some time. Typically, I'd go to my FFL dealer and get a box that had been used to deliver a gun to him, and reuse that. Well cushioned inside. Yes, there are premiums for over-length packages. Be sure to calculate that into the amount you quote for shipping.
Obviously not a long gun but the last handgun I shipped was $12.

In the US the system is set HEAVILY in favor of the buyer. To the point I am sure there is some abuse. The seller can try to fight it but, the bank will lean heavily towards the person with the card. Its why I have long said I do not for the life of me understand the people who insist on using some other form of payment crying a river when they get burned. Now as for sellers? Have to guess part of taking plastic is the cost of having to eat some claims. The seller has to pay to get the item back from the buyer if the buyer claims the item was not as claimed. So seller can offer a return label. Now if buyer ignores this, or sends back a rock? Not sure what hoops the seller has to jump through to fight this and try to get their money back from the bank.
are we talking private sellers or FFLs? Because as a private person I'm not set up to take plastic I'm assuming nobody else is and that the money goes thru paypal or venmo or something like that. Im not certain what recourse the buyer has via services like paypal or venmo once the money is in the sellers account.

My local FedEx is great about it. Fast n easy.
In Olympia? Good weed down there, I've heard.
And don't let AG. Turd Ferguson know!

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 10.16.05 PM.png

And the real SCARY part is guns get shipped routinely (albeit illegally sans FFLs ) through the various shipping 'services' - and arrive without a scratch.

I once knew a person who told me about doing this (unknowingly) sending guns to a family member and they arrived like anything else.

Needless to say I 'counseled' this person in the proper procedures if this person were to do this again!

I don't ship for a variety of reasons, namely that most folks won't get a usps money order and mail it to me first.
The few I have sold online, the buyer sent me a USPS money order, and I sent them the liberty tool fully insured. One buyer sent me a nice check from his investment company (legit) so quick that I realized whoops that one went too cheap :s0112:

Maybe the money order days have passed? I hope not, it seems fairly safe if you verify the M.O. as legit, and as seller, I sure would not pull a ripoff involving federal uh blah-blah-blah ....

Last Edited:

I used it once, it went smooth but honestly don't like the process of the gun just being tossed around and how ever many people touching it.

I won't ship anymore. If I have something someone wants then they can come get it.

I should probably make a post whining about how people in Portland won't drive to cave junction to buy my stuff.🤔

are we talking private sellers or FFLs? Because as a private person I'm not set up to take plastic I'm assuming nobody else is and that the money goes thru paypal or venmo or something like that. Im not certain what recourse the buyer has via services like paypal or venmo once the money is in the sellers account.
Anyone can use another party to take plastic, like PayPal for one. Now if buyer does a charge back? PayPal or whatever is used to run the plastic will lose the money. Now what that 3d party will do at that point? Who knows for sure. I have to suspect PayPal as an example would just take the money back from the seller since they were out. Guessing again they would make some nice sounds about "investigating" and such but, they would first make themselves whole again. Not sure how hard they would fight for the poor seller who is now the one out the money. Things like this are why the last couple times I sold a gun I turned down deals wanting me to ship. The ones who asked I said this is how I would do it. The buyer finds an FFL here they trust. Who would then pay me in cash for the gun. Then send it on. Everyone of course said no to this as it would put the extra costs on them. The protections we get with plastic as a buyer are grand. Not sure what the hell the poor guys just trying to sell one thing can really do. In the early days of Ebay I sold a LOT of "stuff". To me it was great. Most was stuff I did not know what to do with and was tired of having it. A couple times a buyer claimed they did not get the item. I just refunded their money. Did they really not get it? Who knows. I was willing to eat the loss. Now if it was something more expensive? Damn I don't know what to tell people. :s0092:

Anyone can use another party to take plastic, like PayPal for one. Now if buyer does a charge back? PayPal or whatever is used to run the plastic will lose the money. Now what that 3d party will do at that point? Who knows for sure. I have to suspect PayPal as an example would just take the money back from the seller since they were out. Guessing again they would make some nice sounds about "investigating" and such but, they would first make themselves whole again. Not sure how hard they would fight for the poor seller who is now the one out the money. Things like this are why the last couple times I sold a gun I turned down deals wanting me to ship. The ones who asked I said this is how I would do it. The buyer finds an FFL here they trust. Who would then pay me in cash for the gun. Then send it on. Everyone of course said no to this as it would put the extra costs on them. The protections we get with plastic as a buyer are grand. Not sure what the hell the poor guys just trying to sell one thing can really do. In the early days of Ebay I sold a LOT of "stuff". To me it was great. Most was stuff I did not know what to do with and was tired of having it. A couple times a buyer claimed they did not get the item. I just refunded their money. Did they really not get it? Who knows. I was willing to eat the loss. Now if it was something more expensive? Damn I don't know what to tell people. :s0092:
Ive had great luck selling on ebay. One time the buyer wanted to return the item, I declined since his reason was not true. Never heard back and got my money. IIRC that was when ebay used paypal. Anyways...

Im not certain what to think about all this risk. Im assuming Gunbroker operates similar as ebay. I dont know of any other way to sell a gun privately than Gunbroker, just word of mouth locally, or this forums classifieds. Ideally this forums classified would be the best way to go since one can actually meet someone at the FFL.
I'll keep all this in mind, luckily Im not selling anything until I'm too old to use them anymore....

Ive had great luck selling on ebay. One time the buyer wanted to return the item, I declined since his reason was not true. Never heard back and got my money. IIRC that was when ebay used paypal. Anyways...

Im not certain what to think about all this risk. Im assuming Gunbroker operates similar as ebay. I dont know of any other way to sell a gun privately than Gunbroker, just word of mouth locally, or this forums classifieds. Ideally this forums classified would be the best way to go since one can actually meet someone at the FFL.
I'll keep all this in mind, luckily Im not selling anything until I'm too old to use them anymore....
I rarely use them any more but a couple times I used the crap out of Ebay. First was when I first got on line. I had a couple boxes of "junk" that I no longer wanted, really did not know what to do. Started tossing them up and stuff all sold. Was great. Next time was when the great clinton mag ban was going away. I had enough mags to last me rest of my life. I took a gamble and started selling them on ebay. At that time only a couple states had the ban and I said no sales to them. Now and then ebay would flag one ad, I would just toss it up again. I made a killing.
That was the last time I used them to sell. Since then only now and then to buy. One was mags for Ruger. Every time Ruger puts out a new model of the MK mags are not to be found. Ebay somehow always has them. One time part on Wife's Tom Cat broke and no one had the part. Damned if someone on Ebay did not have it. Since I found this place I have often just taken to giving away stuff here to supporting members.

Maybe the money order days have passed? I hope not, it seems fairly safe if you verify the M.O. as legit, and as seller, I sure would not pull a ripoff involving federal uh blah-blah-blah ....
When I was selling my stuff, US Postal Service money order was the only method of payment that I accepted. It may have hobbled my sales, I'll never know, but everything I listed sold so success speaks for itself. In my listing remarks, I'd say, "I only take USPS Money Orders for Payment. Please see my feedback history for reference." Since I'd been selling on Gunbroker for some time, my FB history was extensive enough to be reliable.

So far, USPS money orders have been a fairly difficult financial medium to properly fake. The bogus ones are fairly easy to detect. Yes, genunie money order blanks have been stolen in PO burglaries. In the past, the imprinters have been stolen. Lately, I've observed that the branches of the PO that I use generate the MO in their electronic point of sale machine, not an imprinter. Which doesn't mean that small offices may not still use the imprinter. BUT: It would be unlikely for a firearm buyer to tender stolen PO money orders for an interstate firearm purchase, which would positively link the MO to a buyer. But it's probably happened at least once. If the human mind can think of it, it's probably happened. One time when I was cashing a USPS money order in Bank of America, the teller looked at it very closely, etc. I asked if they got fakes, she said they had. Every other teller just took them without any particular examination.

The US Postal Service has a Money Order Verification System, there is a number you can call (Google it) to see if the order is bogus. So verify the order before shipping the gun.

The US Postal Inspection Service takes a very dim view of nobbled money orders. They aren't like the local PD, who doesn't have the resources to deal with rubber /bogus checks.

I'm becoming very flustered. I keep seeing guns far away that I want. I ask if they will ship on my dime. It's so easy and yet I get the same answer from everyone
" I don't think that's legal or I'm not comfortable with that"
YES IT IS PEOPLE!! 100%
I'm really hoping this post will start spreading awareness to members yes it is very easy very legal and usually very cheap especially if it's a handgun!
You walk into FedEx with it in a box and inside that box you include a Xerox copy of your driver's license and you ship it 2-DAY FIREARMS SHIPPING not to the person but to their FFL. Done! Rifles can be done through anyone you want to use LIKE USPS snail mail but handguns however must go through FedEx 2 day firearm shipping. And those are usually about $10

View attachment 1162765
$10 to ship a handgun via FedEx 2-day?!?! Say what now?!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top