JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This shooting by an LAPD officer has some good lessons. She is a "shooter" as in, was recently on the cover of a Dillon catalog (as someone who actually shoots, not just holds guns and looks pretty). The LA Times article shows what the suspect's family and attorney will allege when you are a competitive shooter with 47,000 Instagram followers (account now down), train with Taran Tactical and can shoot fast and accurately (we would all think a good thing if we were forced to use deadly force).

The LA Times article provides a good account of many of the negative perspectives faced by officer, which will no doubt translate to citizen DGU. There is a paywall but you get a few free each month so unless you frequent their site should be able to read the article for free.

Some lessons for me: Tueller Drill / Principle (even with firearm already at the ready), watching background (officer shot before suspect could create a very bad backstop), using force before others are in danger (he was seconds from being able to reach innocents and officers), hits count - not shooting fast (she can shoot fast but she fired six shots, two at a time, with an identifiable threat for each. Very controlled and all six hit.), think about the immediate after (she was remarkably calm after and continued to do her job).

LA Times Article

LAPD video (referenced in the article, showing full body cam from the officer and two other citizen cameras.

LAPD video

The last two shots may cause some problems for her. And there were absolutely people in her backstop. It's hard to tell what exactly is down the street but her shifting left might have been a good idea.

I would think a meth head with a carpet knife was too dangerous to let him get any closer. He had already caused a 5-vehicle pileup with injury, and was a walking menace to all and sundry.
Good shooting!!

Shoulda sent a Social Worker, a college grad Communications major, and a Mental Health worker.

Dumbazzes at the white car finally got the phuk out of proximity!! People are such fools...

BTW, the guy in Vegas at the In-N-Out, a cyclist named BJ, trains all the time, got 9 out of 10 "hits" on his armed attacker, and was never charged.

We dare not drop "qualified immunity" for LEOs or there will be nobody left to enforce societies laws.

The LA Times article provides a good account of many of the negative perspectives faced by officer, which will no doubt translate to citizen DGU. There is a paywall but you get a few free each month so unless you frequent their site should be able to read the article for free.

If you're fast, you can ctrl-a and ctrl-c before getting hit by the paywall popup and then paste into a text editor to read. I agree the article is well written, however, it continuously minimizes the fact that a razor knife is a deadly weapon (*) and doesn't mention anything about how little time it takes and how much distance a person can cover in a flash, when they decided to put such a weapon to use.

The article is also a bit cringey in the way it describes the officer's participation in shooting sports -- there's a subtle level of pious disgust oozing out in the writing, at least in my reading. The objective facts are that the guy who died was high on meth, caused a massive five car wreck, and then came out of his truck wielding a deadly weapon in an actively threatening manner while surrounded by potential victims all doing the lookylou thing. It is as if driving while intoxicated is cool now, even if you cause a major multi-vehicle wreck, and after all that, pull a weapon. The media narrative is effing insane these days.

(*) 911 happened with mere box cutters and a razor cuts easier than most regular knives. The article keeps using "razor knife" in such a way it implies "not a real knife, just a razor" as if razors aren't a big deal. WTF

The last two shots may cause some problems for her. And there were absolutely people in her backstop. It's hard to tell what exactly is down the street but her shifting left might have been a good idea.

I watched in slow-mo. First off every shot is a double, first string he is coming toward her, about one centerline white dash plus one space between officer and attacker (it's a very wide angle view making everything seem far away). He falls, lunges toward her with a knife -- this causes the second string. He goes back to the ground, and it appears to me he rolls over to start another lunge, still holding the knife, and the second string happens.

As for the backstop, she didn't get to choose it when this went down. She was telling people to move to safety but everyone wants to get video I guess. Sometimes the police can't arrange a good backstop -- the thing goes down when and where it does -- which is why accuracy is so important.

(*) 911 happened with mere box cutters and a razor cuts easier than most regular knives. The article keeps using "razor knife" in such a way it implies "not a real knife, just a razor" as if razors aren't a big deal. WTF

Let me just take the reporter back for a moment to the use of box cutters on a certain September 11th.....

Idk man... looks fishy too me. He was way far away and no threat. The first shots would have probably been enough. the last two could be a problem . I always think, how would the outcome be if that was a civilian?

Rrrrright....before anyone jumps....
He was just approaching the Officer to surrender his knife?
Is/was there a possible language barrier here??
21 feet??? LOL.:eek:

"Brown Lives Matter"

Isn't it PC to jump to the conclusion that all Cops just wanna murder people of color? Cause...."Systemic Racism"? Or maybe, it's about the cop being a female while the victim was a male? Rrrrright.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
And many pics if you're curious. @Certaindeaf: don't click and you'll regret it.

She is smoking hot.

There were tons of people around. The guy was suicidal, and even after the first shots He was still moving around and not complying.
Should couldn't know if her shots were debilitating.
You shoot until the threat is neutralized.

Bottom line, don't be a meth head causing a five car pile up and charge a cop with a box cutter and NOT expect to get shot. Seems pretty straight forward and simple to me.

To the teen suing the cop, sorry your dad made crappy decisions and left you without a father, but those were his decisions and no ones fault but his own. Make effort to raise your children with more of a clue how things work.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top