JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Considering police have descended on kids with airsoft guns because some nosy neighbor didn't take their meds you could be looking for trouble, against the law or not.
But if you ae going to that distance you might as well plug them and have some fun.
Though not exactly in "town", more on the edge, I have shot bunches of wax plugs from a S&W 45 colt with primer only.
Fairly on target at 15 to 20 feet and not something you would want to be hit in the eye with.

To my knowledge, starter guns are not firearms. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I'm too lazy to do an internet search.)
You are generally correct- starter pistols usually don't have a chamber long enough to accommodate a casing and a bullet, most don't have a barrel and discharge through the top somewhere. Blank firing replicas are a different animal however...

Back to the OP...
sure you have reasons, but why ?
The outcome will be decided by whoever reports you. If it's a fire arm and it's going "bang" then no reasonable onlooker can be expected to know you're shooting blanks.
Expect the response to be the same as if you were letting off a live round.
If I was brandishing a firearm and encountered one of our fellow, armed NWFA members, my later explaining through gurgling blood bubbles, that it was only a blank wouldn't make him less right to put a few non blanks in me...

As an aside, I do have a couple of kits, one for .38, one for 45, that are brass .22 rifled barrels. They sit inside your regular barrel and come with brass dummy rounds that take a primer in the back and a .22 air pellet in the front.
Although there's no powder charge, I would very much not like to get shot with it...

Last Edited:
If it's a fire arm and it's going "bang" then no reasonable onlooker can be expected to know you're shooting blanks.
I dunno about that. I consider myself "reasonable"... on occassion... and can certainly tell the difference between a primer pop and a live cartridge. Only a pure blue bred igit would confuse the two. ;)

I dunno about that. I consider myself "reasonable"... on occassion... and can certainly tell the difference between a primer pop and a live cartridge. Only a pure blue bred igit would confuse the two. ;)
You might.
What if I next now point the gun at you ?
Would you be comfortable waiting to hear what noise it made before you decided what action to take ?

Still curious as to what the OP is thinking....

Whatever you do, don't load foam ear plugs into your cases and fire them using just the primer. It works well, until the ear plug tumbles and you get a massive pressure spike. I...saw some other guy do this.

You might.
What if I next now point the gun at you ?
Would you be comfortable waiting to hear what noise it made before you decided what action to take ?

Still curious as to what the OP is thinking....
That's just getting silly.

I doubt there is any question about the legality of running around pointing a gun at people and pulling the trigger... even if it's only a primer. :s0140::s0140:

Not to put words in his mouth, but I know he does a lot of experimental builds. Testing the firing mechanism of a DIY platform is certainly a valid reason to be testing primer strikes.

Last Edited:
1668300026878.png

Aloha, Mark

PS.......
Yeah.....your neighborhood probably needs more.
1668300157502.png

Agreed. Although with the absense of a law they tend to go with the next closest one.. which would be discharge of a fiream within city limits... which is accurate... and the law doesn't specify a powder charge and projectile must be present at the time of discharge.
I know I would not want to be standing there holding the gun when LEO's show up. People keep trying to compare this to starter pistols. If the pistol in hand is a normal one how would some LEO have any clue what was just fired from it? My guess would be at best you would end up in court having to fight to get clear and get the gun back which you know they would take.

I doubt there is any question about the legaity of running around pointing a gun at people and pulling the trigger... even if it's only a primer. :s0140::s0140:

Not to put words in his mouth, but I know he does a lot of experimental builds. Testing the firing mechanism of a DIY platform is certainly a valid reason to be testing primer strikes.
That I could see but, I would sure as hell not do it where I could be seen. If some LEO shows up about "reports" I would also not admit what I had done and leave it up the the LEO standing there to decide what to do. Just for the hassle that could end up being next.

I doubt there is any question about the legaity of running around pointing a gun at people and pulling the trigger... even if it's only a primer. :s0140::s0140:

I don't disagree, but if the OP cares enough to ask, then it's reasonable to infer he's asking about the consequences of getting caught, which also suggests he's not doing something in his basement where no one would hear a primer, so no one would care..
Maybe he lives in a condo or does his experimental builds in a downtown park- no idea because the original post is so vague and lacking any context that we might as well invent scenarios...

That I could see but, I would sure as hell not do it where I could be seen.
As someone else mentioned... that's why God invented garages. Unseen by the ninny's in the neighborhood and you can get away with stuff the woman of the house would make you pay 10 times over for within her domain.

She's pretty smart, that way.

As someone else mentioned... that's why God invented garages. Unseen by the ninny's in the neighborhood and you can get away with stuff the woman of the house would make you pay 10 times over for.

She's pretty smart, that one!
I long before Al invented the net tried to clean a couple BP revolvers in the dish washer. I "heard" it worked great. Wife opened it up before I got to see it did not quite work like the guy told me it did. What a mess. She had a few choice words when she found it. :s0140:
As for the primers. If its just a function check and someone does not have a "safe place" I would just use and old pillow, rags, blankets, anything to put the barrel in and it would muffle the sound enough so as to not sound like a crack. So hopefully they would not be getting a knock at the door from someone like this:

:s0140:

If popping a primer by loading it into case and firing it in a firearm is considered discharging (live firing) a firearm then it could be used for training purposes to meet requirements for permit to purchase. Using a primed case only versus a loaded cartridge would be safer and cheaper than a loaded cartridge and might allow for more places that could be used for training locations.

I have changed my view on making implementation of Measure 114 easier and now believe we should make it harder to train for. So this question is a moot point as it's related to Measure 114.

If popping a primer by loading it into case and firing it in a firearm is considered discharging (live firing) a firearm then it could be used for training purposes to meet requirements for permit to purchase. Using a primed case only versus a loaded cartridge would be safer and cheaper than a loaded cartridge and might allow for more places that could be used for training locations.

I have changed my view on making implementation of Measure 114 easier and now believe we should make it harder to train for. So this question is a moot point as it's related to Measure 114.
I highly doubt that would be a possibility. You're talking some training facility to take on the liability of handing non factory "ammo" to their trainees? If I'm not mistaken, it would require specialized ins/bond coverage and certifications of some type for whoever is preparing the primer only loads.

Let's not forget... that didn't turn out so well for ol' rusty..... ;)

(I know... not the same animal, but it's still funny...)

1668311869375.png

Hummm........
The practical side of me is thinking (dangerous).

IF, this doesn't turn out like how you imagined.

You could always hope.........
To have some of us, "practical minded individuals" seated on the Jury.

BUT, But, but.......WAIT.......it's OR.

Then.......
I thought that I also heard......that OR might NOT allow a full Jury Trial in some cases.

And then......
Your lawyer may/might advise you, against a Jury Trial.

1668311925197.png

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews