JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My guess would be yes because there's no projectile and it wouldn't violate noise ordnances. I may or may not do this to confirm function after repairs without going to a range. Of course, I'm also on private property well away from prying ears, sooooooooo

I would guess no.
After all....you are still discharging a firearm within city limits...even if there was no projectile.

Wording of the law / city ordinance , lawyers , over zealous anti gun neighbors are all things to consider here.
Andy

If there is a "problem" its going to be in the way the jurisdiction defines "firearm". Many of them do it very differently. The city here LONG ago made air guns a "firearm". When my kids were kids we shot in the backyard for a hell of a long time. I had no idea until I read about in the local paper one day. Turns out if one of my neighbors had reported us the Police would have showed up and could well have cited me. So someone would have to find the way the law where they live defines firearm and see what it says. I know a couple times I was using a Ramset in my back yard to sink pins into my patio that was concrete. Each time I did that I was kind of wondering if a patrol car would show up at my house due to someone saying they heard gun fire there. Never did happen.

In Eugene, airsoft and airguns are considered firearms. My kids were brought home in a squad car once for shooting their airsoft guns in a gully near our house. The cop threatened to cite me for discharging a firearm in city limits, because they were minors, but just confiscated the guns instead.

In Lincoln county Oregon, the noise nuisance laws specifically states that noise from firearms is not regulated by the noise ordnance. I'm not sure if that's adopted from a state law or not.

Concealed is concealed, right? Sometimes I load my 9s with just a primer and Mike and Ikes or Good and Plentys, and shoot cans in my garage :cool:

IMG_0646 (2).jpg

So police turn up and you're holding a firearm, (not a nail gun),- best of luck convincing them or anyone else that there wasn't a projectile coming out of the barrel

I would be incredibly surprised if there are any actual laws that address this scenario.
Agreed. Although with the absense of a law they tend to go with the next closest one.. which would be discharge of a fiream within city limits... which is accurate... and the law doesn't specify a powder charge and projectile must be present at the time of discharge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top