JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys and gals, I recently came across a Lee breech lock press, while cleaning it I tried to remove the breach lock bushing that the former owner left in the press. Now most of you know that I'm a pretty handy & smart feller but for the life of me I do not know how to get that SOB out of there.
What I do know is there is a detent type of apparatus on this thing that supposedly has to be pressed but that don't do jack...
I do not want to screw this thing up as it is a present to my SIL.

This pic is for my main man @Mygrainman...:s0108:

As always, thank you in advance.;)

21F16E7F-4994-4C2F-AC88-030BA65A0DB9.jpeg

Last Edited:
Hi guys and gals, I recently came across a Lee breech lock press, while cleaning it I tried to remove the breach lock bushing that the former owner left in the press. Now most of you know that I'm a pretty handy & smart feller but for the life of me I do not know how to get that SOB out of there.
What I do know is there is a detent type of apparatus on this thing that supposedly has to be pressed but that don't do jack...
I do not want to screw this thing up as it is a present to my SIL.

This pic is for my main man @Mygrainman...:s0108:

As always, thank you in advance.;)

View attachment 629657
Sometimes the detent gets sticky and since it's an aluminum frame that chrome steele bushing doesn't want to leave the frame if it's been left in there a long time. Liquid wrench or some tap-out oil and a good soak and then some gentle persuasion (and i mean gentile this time) with a brass mallet and drift while the detent is fully depressed. Maybe channel-locks with a rag between the jaws and bushing lip and the steel plier. Can you get the die out okay?

Sometimes the detent gets sticky and since it's an aluminum frame that chrome steele bushing doesn't want to leave the frame if it's been left in there a long time. Liquid wrench or some tap-out oil and a good soak and then some gentle persuasion (and i mean gentile this time) with a brass mallet and drift while the detent is fully depressed. Maybe channel-locks with a rag between the jaws and bushing lip and the steel plier. Can you get the die out okay?

Hey thanks, I'll turn it upside down and spray some penetrating spray in there and try again tomorrow morning. I put that die in there and tightened it down with the lock collar to try & get it out but no love there. How far is that detent supposed to go down? I can only push it down about a 16th"...

Hey thanks, I'll turn it upside down and spray some penetrating spray in there and try again tomorrow morning. I put that die in there and tightened it down with the lock collar to try & get it out but no love there. How far is that detent supposed to go down? I can only push it down about a 16th"...
The detent needs to be pushed below the bushing recess. If it's not going down far enough it won't release the collar.

Detent will go flush or just under. I've had to wiggle the bushings back and forth detent will get bound. Also as said oil and tap it with a drift. Once out I cleaned detent with brake clean, oiled and worked it until it moved freely. Hope this helps.

It's just held in by a spring and some tension. If you can get ahold of it, pull it out.

Well I've tried all the tricks that you guys have mentioned above. I sprayed it with PB penetrating oil while it was upside down and on the top. I tapped the detent with a punch going on the edges then in the middle and used a new pair of gooseneck pliers and the damn thing is still stuck.

I did notice that there is a rubber O-ring at the bottom of the bushing, is that the way it was designed? Is this detent just to hold pressure on the bushing and that's it?

I have no idea what the prior owner did in this respect it boggles my mind.:eek::eek::eek:I have no idea what the prior owner did in this respect it boggles my mind.

Well I've tried all the tricks that you guys have mentioned above. I sprayed it with PB penetrating oil while it was upside down and on the top. I tapped the detent with a punch going on the edges then in the middle and used a new pair of gooseneck pliers and the damn thing is still stuck.

I did notice that there is a rubber O-ring at the bottom of the bushing, is that the way it was designed? Is this detent just to hold pressure on the bushing and that's it?

I have no idea what the prior owner did in this respect it boggles my mind.:eek::eek::eek:I have no idea what the prior owner did in this respect it boggles my mind.
No oring is needed at bushing where it mates up to press.

the detention only keeps bushing from rotating. That's it. Just a cotter...maybe time to drill a small hole in the detent...?

So I took another look at your post @Caveman Jim and your bushing is over rotated by a few degrees if that's your press setup in the first post.

I am away from the house right now but the detent indentation on the bushing should lineup perfect with the detent pan. It looks like you are off by 10 or 15° over rotated to the left because Press has normal clockwise rotation for the bushings

So I took another look at your post @Caveman Jim and your bushing is over rotated by a few degrees if that's your press setup in the first post.

I am away from the house right now but the detent indentation on the bushing should lineup perfect with the detent pan. It looks like you are off by 10 or 15° over rotated to the left because Press has normal clockwise rotation for the bushings

Yeah I wondered about that when I saw the videos about how to remove the bushings.

Also for my last post, is there supposed to be a rubber grommet of some sort at the base of the bushing? Can you see it?

A86D88A7-A6E2-414A-922F-46582E8D2318.jpeg

Yeah I wondered about that when I saw the videos about how to remove the bushings.

Also for my last post, is there supposed to be a rubber grommet of some sort at the base of the bushing? Can you see it?

View attachment 629840
Yes on the rubber o-ring at the bottom.

proper bushing alignment:
EFB77633-0E7D-4359-8BCD-86984C1A340B.jpeg

How yours looks from photo. About another ¼" or so on the turn and the bushing will be free from the threads. Which isn't good because you've forced it past tight and jammed it... going backwards is best route

C2078EC6-08AD-432F-A6B1-A7025796EA1F.jpeg

alignment for removal:
3B0BB69C-6514-47C2-8875-FF1F8DE2B74F.jpeg

appears previous user torqued down. The bushing has 6 positions. 3 are threads and 3 are voids.
1844B526-E759-47DD-9C7D-2ABE3683C7D0.jpeg

I'd grab some locking pliers and just back it up on the tracks. (Counter clockwise)
Unless a thread locker was used. Please let that not be the case

Success!!!
I finally got that SOB out, and by the looks of it, just as you feared brother Dyjital, it appears to be red Loctite.:eek::eek::eek:

I got it turned but I could not pull it out so I had to get a cramp die and screw down into it and then push up with it in the right position and it popped out.

Many thanks to all who gave guidance and for those who were rooting for ole Caveman to overcome this obstacle!!!

This community ROCKS!!!!:s0104::s0005:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR