JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Doesn't look like Appleseed is terribly active here in WA, but I'll keep an eye out. I've heard good things about them before, and if nothing else I can take a nice road trip to Columbia Falls, MT in April of next year to do their two day intro event. I'll check out the videos that @joshkk posted up as well -- thank you. And I'll see about getting some nice match ammo to make sure any error is me, not the rifle. I shoot low to mid-range stuff out of my 22 -- anything from the Remington bucket, to CCI Standards and Mini Mags.

Doesn't look like Appleseed is terribly active here in WA, but I'll keep an eye out. I've heard good things about them before, and if nothing else I can take a nice road trip to Columbia Falls, MT in April of next year to do their two day intro event. I'll check out the videos that @joshkk posted up as well -- thank you. And I'll see about getting some nice match ammo to make sure any error is me, not the rifle. I shoot low to mid-range stuff out of my 22 -- anything from the Remington bucket, to CCI Standards and Mini Mags.

Match ammo should shoot better, but not necessarily... it depends on what your rifle likes. For best results, try several brands and bullet weights of match ammo.

1) Assess the wind first, everytime. It's easy to overlook so make a point to notice it. It will have an impact.
2) Work up to larger calibers. 22 first is great tip. As you get to higher power rifles, use pads or towels on your shoulder until you are comfortable AND confident with caliber (especially from the bench). Because you can take a wallop doesn't mean you need to. Way easier to stave off a flinch than cure one.
3) Double up on ear protection. Use the foam plugs and clamshell earmuffs together. I learned that from coaching youngsters and seeing a dramatic improvement immediately. Put in my routine and it does help.

Those are just my thoughts--hope it helps

Re 22 for practice I totally agree with others above that u can work on technique easily and cheaply that way. Another way is use an accurate airgun. U can get airgun with Olympic grade barrel relatively cheaply which lets u practice in back yard if ur so inclined. But since u have nice 22's already I would stick with those.

a couple suggestions I have which u can feel free to ignore r try eley match ammo if u haven't already. Match ammo that ur gun likes (may not be eley match necessarily) for 22 rimfire is critical imo due to variability with much of the 22 ammo out there.

also learn good breathing technique. If u want to get really fancy/good monitor ur heartbeat (cheap watches can do this well) after breathing practice. Aim small/ think small. Do overkill on follow through. Make one long sequence starting with breathing, relaxed trigger finger squeezing in backward direction only , and ending well after shot has been fired. Go for exactly consistent process, time after time. if u can repeat the process consistently the end result (accurate shot time after time) will be there.

Last Edited:
Not related to accurate shooting with bolt actions, but has anyone watched the Jerry michulek shoot a rifle dvds? They r for fast shooting ARs as I recall. I bought them but never got around to watching them. Don't mean to thread hijack to fast shooting rifle...

Yep!

Once benchrest is learned, a "hunter" needs to move on to shooting from ALL the other positions. Including use of sling or no sling. Several posters mentioned meets that are great for teaching those skillz.

I've harvested game from offhand, but mostly from sitting... since I prefer to sit in a likely spot and let my group drive game to me. That said, I have had to take shots from other positions when hunting alone... kneeling is probably the one I've used to most, since it can be established quickly and gives a good view vs prone. Your advice about natural aids is well taken. (I've used stumps, logs, and heavy branches). I've looked at various stick/support aids, but never tried any.
Indeed. Field shooting is fun and practical.
One thing I've always practiced with my 03-A3 is cycling the bolt with the rifle still in firing position, especially offhand and without sling. After it comes down out of recoil it's already charged/reloaded.

Learn to use a sling. I like the simple canvas USGI sling, it can do much more than people think. If you use the sling and your skeleton to support the rifle you can shoot accurately. The little muscles in your forearms are not as steady as your core. You can practice shooting positions in the garage with snap caps.

Read up on the characteristics of your rifle and ammo. But especially the characteristics of your ammo. Some ammo is very flat shooting, and some falls off very rapidly after 100 yards.

Don't spend too much time on the bench. The bench is useful for zeroing, but there are no benches in competition and I've never seen one in the forest either. For a nice leisurely day at the range, invest in a shooting mat and learn to shoot prone instead.

Photograph your targets and keep track of your scores, so you can see the improvement over time. You don't need to spend a lot of money to have fun (and become good) at this.

You might enjoy reading "The Art of the Rifle" by the late Jeff Cooper. It's an interesting insight into rifles, history, some philosophy and marksmanship.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top