Oregon Knockout game, what Degree of Assault?

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by Nick Burkhardt, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I'll not be taken down for lack of return fire.

bbbass, NW Backpacker and DuneHopper like this.
  2. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt
    NE Oregon

What is the dollar amount limit in Oregon between misdemeanor theft and felony theft? About $1000?

As I found out from my fall and dislocated finger this winter, a trip to the ER starts at $1200, then a separate $1200 charge by the ER doc who is not a hospital employee, then add $300 per x-ray and you are well over $3000. Why is causing that much damage only a misdemeanor?

bbbass likes this.
  3. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I don't agree with getting your teeth knocked out being only a misdemeanor but I think were looking at this from the wrong direction.... I dont think its about the type of injury or if they have a weapon in use its about if you fear for your life. I think its reasonable for any victim of this game to be fearful of their life... but while thats just my opinion the preclusion of all the evidence would be difficult to prove you weren't in fear of your life. You have no reason to believe that at the time of the assault they were playing a game, I don't think any reasonable person would think so.

on a side note, Im not certain what you could do anyways if your sucker punched and knocked out by the time you wake up their gone.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. Sporting Systems

Sporting Systems
    Vancouver
    Gold Vendor Gold Vendor

Exactly. You went out intending to cause physical injury.

Mister Bisley and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. HB of CJ

HB of CJ
    42.17N -123.64W ?

Seems to me if the victim is knocked to the ground that implies some instant and perhaps temporary brain trauma. That plus pre intent would seem to warrant a felony charge. Just me.

Mister Bisley and Koda like this.
  6. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt
    NE Oregon

That is my point. These cowardly attacks from behind or the side which cause injury should automatically be elevated to a felony offense.

7. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I agree. There is no reason to assault anyone and why should someone have to go thru life with dentures, migraines from concussions, months of therapy to get your broken jaw working again just so you can chew food etc. etc. yet none of those are a loss of life or limb, but they should be treated as if they were.

8. titsonritz

titsonritz
    has left the building.

The victim thought he had been stabbed, drew his weapon and fired two shots, striking Weaver in the buttocks.

According to Michigan Live, Weaver told the man who had just shot him, “I’m sorry, please don’t kill me. I don’t know why I did that. I’m high, you know. I just wanna go home.”

Weaver survived the shooting and was sentenced to a year in jail for the attack. He now regrets playing “knockout” and admits he got off easy for it.

“It was just a lesson learned. I wish I hadn’t played the game at all,” Weaver told WILX.

Lansing police said Weaver’s story should serve as an example of the consequences of playing “knockout.”

Perfect

Alexx1401 likes this.
  9. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Get Off My Lawn!!
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

They can of course sue, and easily win assuming it was one caught on tape. Now what do you really think the chance is of collecting from the type who do this is? I highly doubt many of them have a real job that you could go after for garnishment. You could of course get an order for them to pay, and good luck ever seeing a dime. Stuff like this is going to lead to a few morons getting killed. Of course if I ever ended up on the jury for someone who defended themselves from this they would never get a conviction. It's one reason I do not shirk jury duty. Someone has to be there for the system to work and once you have gone a few times it's scary to see what there is to chose from if you get in trouble.

10. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Moderator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

+1. I avoid them as much as possible for a variety of reasons.

And agreed that it is bullplop that such an attack may only be a misdemeanor. Even more lamentable is that that society has degenerated to the point that some people view such an assault as a "game".

I am aware of at least one case in which a would be victim pulled a legally owned and carried piece and shot the miscreant twice. The cretin survived and got a year in jail. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other documented cases.

Mister Bisley and Alexx1401 like this.
  11. ma96782

ma96782
    Vancouver, WA
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The "Prosecutor" will decide.

FYI.......it could all depend on "other factors" and "how willing" the Prosecutor is, to go to the mat for the victim. Even a Prosecutor.......has been known to play their games.

Aloha, Mark

12. SOrez

SOrez
    SOR

The only thing I believe he regrets is getting shot and going to jail.

Lilhigbee and Mister Bisley like this.
  13. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt
    NE Oregon

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  14. alleyoop

alleyoop
    Mid W Valley

I agree totally. I took 285 lbs full force one time 50 years ago. Knocked me down but not at all out. Hoping 50 years later to have the ability to still take a shot from one of these potentials if it happens. Knockout game is the reason I'm so conscientious about EDC in this day and age.

15. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil
    Salem, OR

....wow
    You know, if I were to strike someone to the head with a bike lock (heavy, steel) I would consider it using lethal force. Swinging a bludgeon to the head is really no different than putting a bullet in someone's leg, there's a very real, and significant potential of fatality.

From the video it looks like a lock on a rope or chain, so...yeah.
    flail.jpg

How that wasn't attempted murder, I don't know. But hey, the cost of 4 trips to a steakhouse and 3 years of "now you behave yourself!", I suppose that fits the crime...

16. SavageGerbil

SavageGerbil
    Salem, OR

That's fine, really. The end result is the same. When you're a kid, you don't really regret playing frisbee in the house. The ricochet off the walls until a lamp goes smash was STILL fun and looked awesome, but the butt kicking and grounding marks it off your to-do list in the future.

Not playing the "oh he's just a kid" game, but pain and unpleasantness are useful tools. They'll put an aversion in place that wasn't there before.

mkwerx likes this.
  17. pharmseller

pharmseller
    Harrisburg

I have a crisp hundred dollar bill that says this isn’t the last time Marvell sees the inside of a cell.

P

Lilhigbee, Ura-Ki and mkwerx like this.
  18. pharmseller

pharmseller
    Harrisburg

19. WasrNwarpaint

WasrNwarpaint
    Portland

this is HATE behavior and would not be tolerated whatsoever if this were white on black attacks and this isnt a game its a hate crime thats been termed "a game as an excuse" used to protect the hood rats from not being responsible yet again..just like its the guns fault Chicago is messed up..

as usual its the white mans fault they are violently attacking...
    frankly all I see is vicious tribal behavior

20. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt
    NE Oregon

Yes white people are terrible. Yahoo news said so Is 2018 the Summer of Hate in America, all caught on tape?