JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where is this shop? I looked up Rifleworks and found an Oregon Rifleworks out in Tigard but the map showed it on SE Main off of 122nd in Portland.

Is it on McLoughlin?

Jack
You're correct, I meant Oregon Rifleworks.

Oregon Rifleworks, 12260 SW Main St, Tigard, OR, United States <- they're in an old bank building on Tigard's main drag. The bus transit station is right behind their shop.

I have purchased a couple of guns from Keith's in the past, but service is crappy at times. I've been there at opening (10am) and within 10 minutes there have been 12-15 customers in there, but good service is spotty at best. I found the only way to get attention is to know exactly what you want. Did the research and with an item number in hand stepped up and bought/ordered it. Haven't really found any of the help to be of help otherwise.

Then I learned to build and never went back.

Hope you have better luck with Oregon Rifle Works. Before the rona, and Wifey had won a NWFA lower in a raffle here. We went in there and there wasn't another customer. They tended to what ever they were doing and never offered assistance. Not knowing much about the AR platform, or building one, I was likely to get everything from them. Maybe it was because I was wearing my well used work boots?

I have purchased a couple of guns from Keith's in the past, but service is crappy at times. I've been there at opening (10am) and within 10 minutes there have been 12-15 customers in there, but good service is spotty at best. I found the only way to get attention is to know exactly what you want. Did the research and with an item number in hand stepped up and bought/ordered it. Haven't really found any of the help to be of help otherwise.

Then I learned to build and never went back.
We've purchased more than several over the last 12 years from them. The above is spot on. I don't know where the comment of "High" prices come from? They've been cheaper than anywhere else on everything we've bought there. Except, I've had a couple of good chuckles when looking at used gun prices!

I've been familiar with Keith's for many years, starting with my early experience at gun shows in the late 1980s/early 1990s to present, and also their storefront in Gresham. I have recognized both ends of the viewpoints here in my personal observations and experiences with them. My Dad (and many, many others) bought quite a few guns from over the years at the shows. At the shows back then, they typically had among the best prices, and because they move a lot of product, their inventory turns over quick, which I appreciate when looking for used guns. They also typically have a surprisingly large inventory for such a small retail shop, and pretty good access to getting guns they don't have in stock when the inventory is available from manufacturers or distributors, because they are a volume dealer. However, as typical for someone operating a high volume business model usually supported by competitive prices, many of the niceties (requirements) many associate with customer service can be lacking. Not the sort of place where most customers are going to feel welcome to browse around with much assistance (or even tolerance) from the staff. More like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld.

As it is across town from my typical travels, I rarely shop there, and have never used them for facilitating a third party FFL transfer. Last time I recall buying a gun there was a couple years ago. I would not be surprised if, like most businesses I've dealt with since then, customer experience has deteriorated. While it's definitely a different environment, I've had good luck if I'm reasonably patient (they are usually busy with lots of customers), but also not expecting them necessarily to reciprocate with being patient with me, and I politely get someone's attention, and have a decent idea of what I'm looking for once we're talking. I've had several good conversations with Keith that were not limited to 10-15 seconds as others have stated is the norm, and Maria has been helpful. But I usually need to assert myself a bit to get someone's attention, provide a focused request, and operate with the expectation of a short interchange like filling an order at a fast food restaurant, rather than having a more leisurely experience with a server at a sit down restaurant. With that approach, I've done well there and been able to find/purchase some guns that were hard to get at a fair or even good price. That's what I go there for, not something I can order new and have shipped to my FFL for an easy transaction close to home.

I'm not surprised the OP, and many others have had negative experiences there. Like most things the last couple years, customer service and product availability has deteriorated, and even before then, over the years they have developed a reputation for customer service weakness. There are certainly businesses and individuals where I've had bad experiences to the point that I will never deal with them again. So I understand, and respect that.

Last Edited:
My experience Keith's Sporting is not very positive also. First time in many years, I gone there. The door wide open maybe five customers including me. No customer service. Not even a greet or be right with you. No eye contact. Leave me standing there for twenty minutes then finally left. Seem like they don't want your business. Most of the customers want service because they were not looking or browsing just waiting for service like I was.

I have been treated poorly and I have split.

Do you believe that it is a fair business practice to charge 10% of a firearm's purchase price to make a FFL transfer? (I would like to know if that is still his policy as that was the crowning blow to drive me away from Keith's.)

By preponderance of evidence, all of the accounts I know of from personal experience to close shooting pal's accounts, Keith's gives poor service, gouges on FFL transfers and generally runs a brisk business for people who are willing to lay their money down and leave.
I've not heard of transfer costs being 10% of a firearm's value as a practice, but since a majority are in the 4-500 dollar range, and typically transfers are 40 bucks anywhere you go, it may be that by coincidence.
I do know that they (and others) charge more for the transfer of firearms purchased online than for ftf transfers, mainly because they do a higher volume of those than even selling their own inventory.

Best gun shop ever was Starving Marvin's on River road in Eugene Oregon. Marvin retired and sold out but Marvin was good because he was a gun nut himself.

He was into all kinds of competition and knew guns better than any shop owner I ever met.

When Glocks came out he had about five customers in the store and demonstrated the simplicity of glocks takedown.

When Colt American 9mms came out he showed what a cluster flock it was to takedown.

Marvin got the best stuff in and he wasn't just pushing you through the door, he loved selling guns.

On a side note, Marvin had a pit bull in the store every day. If the dog saw you he would growl a little and Marvin would tell stories about what a great dog he is.

Marvin sold quality, not quantity he wasn't buffet but fine dining.
I remember visiting and shopping at Marvin's shop, SM Gunshop (IIRC?) as a kid. Marvin is (was?) an interesting fella. Kind of like a guy I used to work with, you could never really tell If it was a good day to talk with him until you started into conversation. Sometimes it was enjoyable, sometimes not as much. Usually entertaining, though! He had some good stuff there. I recall a couple of the guys working there (Randy and Robin I think) were quite helpful and more even in their temperament.

I remember visiting and shopping at Marvin's shop, SM Gunshop (IIRC?) as a kid. Marvin is (was?) an interesting fella. Kind of like a guy I used to work with, you could never really tell If it was a good day to talk with him until you started into conversation. Sometimes it was enjoyable, sometimes not as much. Usually entertaining, though! He had some good stuff there. I recall a couple of the guys working there (Randy and Robin I think) were quite helpful and more even in their temperament.
Marvin had mood swings like everyone does and occasionally you would see them.:D like his dog he growled at some people.

Of all the gun stores in Eugene I liked his best. Mazamas or the Cop Shop got in some interesting guns but they were retail outfits and not knowledgeable about the latest greatest blaster like Marvin was.

Marvin could tell you from experience why you should buy a particular gun. Great time in the gun community, guns available and not high priced for most. Times change.

Walk in. Lay these on the counter. See if they still require sign up on a list.

35164.jpeg

-E-

They are horrible, Gunsmith put the wrong upper on my .458 Socom, I'm glad I caught it or it would have been a bad day.
They will never say sorry, I've tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but then next time they could not even put a trigger guard in and they scratch up my receiver and put my muzzle device on upside down.
These folks are going to get someone hurt with their neglect and dumbness

They are horrible, Gunsmith put the wrong upper on my .458 Socom, I'm glad I caught it or it would have been a bad day.
They will never say sorry, I've tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but then next time they could not even put a trigger guard in and they scratch up my receiver and put my muzzle device on upside down.
These folks are going to get someone hurt with their neglect and dumbness
You should have taken it to an actual gunsmith. While I do frequent their store, there's not a gunsmith in that bunch.

All this bad talk abouts Keith's makes me glad I have never been there, and most likely ever will - but most of this is obviously due to me not living in the area or I am SURE I would have visited them at one time or another.

I have been lucky I guess, all my 'shooting' life in that I have rarely visited or patronized 'independent' LGSs - HOWEVER what few I have I was fortunate to have good experiences with.

My gun purchases were mostly FTF with used guns and when I did buy retail (guns, ammo, components etc) it has always been at larger retail outlets where I didn't really need to talk to anybody (just grab and go) unless it was about a gun I was interested in and if so I had already done my 'homework' about it and the rest was typically just inspection and purchase.

Last Edited:
How was that obvious? A major point of the sign in sheet is to separate browsers from buyers.

No matter what establishment you're in, the employees don't have a duty to you to make sure you're following the instructions to make sure that you receive the service you expect.
I've not always been a fan of the place. But the straight schit is that it seems like your poor experience there was the result of errors on both sides.
How is separating browsers from buyers helping ether one? How do you identify them, what if I went in just looking and had several grand in play money in my pockets hoping maybe I might see something I couldn't live without, you think I'm gonna stick around for more then 20 min to ask to see something on the great wall above all the racks, even though it's very obvious what I'm looking at? Point is, even knowing Keith is a azzhole, I still expect to be treated with some sort of respect, they DO know me by first name, most of the staff know me, and yet I still get ignored, busy or not! That's not how you do business if you want to succeed, volume or not, low prices or not! I can understand having elbow room only on certain days, but Damn, make an effort to at least greet your customers and let them know you value them and not just their money!

Wanna know who has it figured out?
Jeremy @LuckySG , that's who,
Tic-licker firearms here in Salem, even smaller then Keith's, same volume of customers, night and day difference, excellent customer service!
Coat of Arms in Keiser, good at everything and great customer service.

How is separating browsers from buyers helping ether one? How do you identify them, what if I went in just looking and had several grand in play money in my pockets hoping maybe I might see something I couldn't live without, you think I'm gonna stick around for more then 20 min to ask to see something on the great wall above all the racks, even though it's very obvious what I'm looking at? Point is, even knowing Keith is a azzhole, I still expect to be treated with some sort of respect, they DO know me by first name, most of the staff know me, and yet I still get ignored, busy or not! That's not how you do business if you want to succeed, volume or not, low prices or not! I can understand having elbow room only on certain days, but Damn, make an effort to at least greet your customers and let them know you value them and not just their money!

Wanna know who has it figured out?
Jeremy @LuckySG , that's who,
Tic-licker firearms here in Salem, even smaller then Keith's, same volume of customers, night and day difference, excellent customer service!
Coat of Arms in Keiser, good at everything and great customer service.
I won't deny that the place is a bit "soup-nazi"-esque, but just like the fictional place I've compared it to, seems like there's a protocol (that probably only Keith really knows, aside from the sign in sheet) thats the key to a positive interaction.
I don't know. I like the place. I like Money Market pawn too, and they're night and day from Keith's as well.
Those are pretty much the only brick and mortar shops I go to.

If they can't put up with "tire kickers" f' em, that is part of the game. I've stopped in my LGS just to BS, never been asked to sign up for it. If the expectation is for everyone to make a purchase every time they walk in the door that is not being very realistic. How do I know if I'm going to buy something if I don't know what they have, thus the checking it out? As far as I'm concerned they can ESAD with that business model.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top