JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Doc, sorry yours was disappointing.
I stopped in Thursday after a failed puppy adoption attempt at the (in)Humane Society. I didn't see any 120 y.o. Winnies.
I was hoping to find the Savage 24 there that I had considered a week ago. Nope.
What I did see was a Savage 99, ca. 1951, in 300 Savage.
Most of the ones I see are thrashed and rattle-traps. This one looked fantastic. The stock had been refinished, but I didn't care.
Took it back to the office, said I wanted to buy it and asked to inspect the bore.
They removed all the stupid locks and gave me a bore light.
Nice, tight action, clean looking chamber. Bore looked great, deep rifling, though seemed to have some leading. Mine!
All in all, it was a very pleasant experience.
Now waiting to get it out of jail, 'cuz Ima dangerous man, an all....
Now I'm really pissed; thanks a lot for reinforcing my opinion that customer service at Cabelas is arbitrary and specious. I should have known the store was going down the rabbit hole when they demanded my ID to purchase Hornady Calipers. Next they will want to check your blood sugar to buy fudge. Bunch of jackholes. BTW the Winchester was an 1873, 32 cal. From what I could tell at the muzzle, the bore was dirty and dark; probably why it as on sale.

Last Edited:
I thought it was only required by law to provide a lock when the gun was sold?
Is it a law that says a gun must be locked closed when selling it?
It is not at all a law that they be locked while on display. That is a company policy. Some people fail to recognize the difference.

I bought an FN FNX-9 at the Tulalip Cabelas back in 2014 and it was defective. I could fire a round the the hammer down just fine but then when was single action it would not fire at all, I took it back to Cabelas and they set it back for repairs. It took 30 days but it fixed and have fired 1000s if rounds though it over the years. They zip tied the action before they would let take back to the firearms counter to send it back.

I bought an FN FNX-9 at the Tulalip Cabelas back in 2014 and it was defective
I've bought a couple of used guns at the Tulalip Cabela's that had hidden defects. This was pre-Bass Pro, at the time, their return policy was more generous. One of the two returns started out as a minor stink, but a manager smoothed it out. The other one was no trouble. They offered to let their generic gunsmith repair or full refund, in both cases I took the refund. I couldn't know the technical expertise of their local smith who no doubt was expected to work on anything that came in the door. Nor could I know realistically how long a repair would take.

I've bought a couple of guns at Cabela's since Bass Pro, but not lately. When I bought those two, I noted on the paperwork that used guns basically were sold as-is. Yet it often depends on what store employees you are dealing with. Some don't want to do anything, others can be quite helpful.

My experience of returning a collector gun with hidden damage at the Lacey Cabela's was a nightmare.

Zip tied actions....

Pre-Bass pro buy out....
I was invited to put on my antique muzzle loading firearm display at the Cabelas in Lacy.
Yay...I thought...
All 40 odd guns needed to be "inspected" before being brought into the store...then the actions needed to be zip tied.
Not so yay.

I put on one other display there...but with a smaller set up....'cause damn.
Andy

If the idiots at Cabelas wont allow the action to be opened to inspect a bore, then they better have those minature lights used to check bores on muzzleloaders that drop down the bore so you can inspect the bore.
But I'm puzzled how the gun is somehow safer once the purchase is made, and you're then allowed to check the bore? Seems like they're going to have to sell all guns as-is, and when you buy it and discover there's a problem with the bore, or the action you're just S.O.L. about getting any refund, or repairs done.
I have had issues with every firearm purchase I ever made at Cabelas Tualitan store, and after three separate incidents (all long before this latest stupid rule) I stopped buying guns there. Most times I've been in the store for anything the Gun Library was locked up, and even filled with storage boxes like it was no longer in existence. Last time it was open, and appeared back in existence I grabbed the door handle to go in, and it was locked. Some guy came and opened the door and asked what I wanted? I told him I of course wanted to look at guns, and he let me in, but seemed just weird about letting people inside the room. Never tried to go in since then, even if I saw people inside. Nothing I want from them anymore.

from the lawful transfer.

its not a transfer to show someone your gun.
I realize everyone interprets the laws differently and this forum has days of discussion on interpreting these laws but this isnt a problem letting a prospective buyer check out a gun. When the legal transfer happens, then, the store must comply.

If this was an issue all gun stores would have been shut down by now or buyers would have revolted by now. I dont know anyone that would buy a gun without at least cycling the action.
depends what you consider a transfer. selling the gun? or the physical transferring gun from one person to another? i believe the anti gun side sees it as both. which is why shooting a friends gun at shooting range is a transfer in their eyes.

"to convey from one person, place, or situation to another" so does it say ownership transfer or just transfer? i think they wrote the UBC to cover physical transferring guns not just own ship of them

depends what you consider a transfer. selling the gun? or the physical transferring gun from one person to another? i believe the anti gun side sees it as both. which is why shooting a friends gun at shooting range is a transfer in their eyes.

"to convey from one person, place, or situation to another" so does it say ownership transfer or just transfer? i think they wrote the UBC to cover physical transferring guns not just own ship of them
That would get tossed by a federal court pretty easily.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top