JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You sign a sheet and it puts you in line for service and they'll just pretend you're not there otherwise?
Yea it's kind of cheap, disrespectful way to deal with customers.

Why don't they just get a 'take a number ' machine? OH, that would actually put a customer in a numerical sequence and they wouldn't be able to bypass anyone. And besides, a sheet of paper is much cheaper.....

Sheesh... sign in to an LGS ? Gimme a break.......

I've heard stories like this about Kieth's for years, and it's why I've never gone in even when I'm in the area and have money burning a hole in my pocket.

Never went into Keith's my entire life even though my dad shopped there on occasion. Last year during the ammo shortage, my buddy asked me to go with him to get the maximum amount of 250-3000 since Hornaday Custom releases a bunch of oddball calibers prior to hunting season. Keith's was the only source in town for that caliber.

They have the check in sheet on the counter and the gal at the register tells us when we walk in. The place is packed, wall to wall people, covid be damned. My buddy points out the ammo and we browse while we wait our turn. They call my name in ten or so minutes and I get my 2 boxes and the guy asks "anything else?". Yes, I would like to look at that Browning 20 guage. He pulls it down and I ask why the hang tag said "Sweet Twenty" when the gun was a Light 20? He said same thing. I said no such thing. Handed it back to him and took my 2 boxes to the counter.

Only thing I have bought from Keith's in my nearly 50 years in this city.

Last Edited:
Guys they know, and police trade in contracts they have with PPB and MCSD... i had one employee try to convince me to shoot 30 Luger in a C96 chambered in 7.63 Mauser.... and a "you can't afford it moment" when I asked to see a p-08... I'm not interested in a return visit.

In times of shortages customer service goes to heck. Once supplies come back and they really want customers then customer service will return. Unfortunately gas prices are going to lessen the number of buyers. Feast or famine, that's retail.
Keith's has a long time reputation for bad service. It has nothing to do with shortages or covid; it has to do how they train (or don't train) their employees.

You have way more patience than me, after about two minutes of being ignored l would have blurted out "who do you have to f$@# around here to get some service"

At that point you'll either get some service in a hurry or get 86ed

Last Edited:
Keith's has a long time reputation for bad service. It has nothing to do with shortages or covid; it has to do how they train (or don't train) their employees.
Keith micro manages everything so one kinda has to be a kiss@zz and/or be on egg shells anticipating every decision and action. I helped put rifles back in the vault one time and as I set one brand/model on another, Keith came over and moved it 4" from where I put it. All part of why I decided to never help/work for him again.

The last few times I've been in there, there has been a sign to sign up on the list. I was there yesterday, as well, and the sign absolutely was there.
If you need someone to hug you while you buy a gun, Keith's is not the place. I go often enough that they know me on a 1st name basis, now, and even still, there's not a lot of room for niceties. Go in there knowing what you're after, and not to kick tires for three hours and not buy anything, and your experience will improve.
That is nuts! The door was propped wide open when I walked in and there was no sign. Maybe there was a sign on the other side I don't know. But that side there was a lady sitting there with some sort of pack and you couldn't enter that way if you wanted to. Unprofessional BS on their part.

I don't expect to be coddled, that should be clear from my post. I do expect some sort of reasonable customer service not what happened as I outlined in my first post. I've shopped at junk yards for years for example and even they aren't this bad.

Also I wasn't browsing looking at guns or literally anything else. I was standing in front of the 45LC cowboy ammo the entire time. Even leaning over to read the boxes. They were right next to me and I never moved from that spot nor looked at anything else, including the guns in the case.

Kieth's will get zero of my $ moving forward. I don't care if it's a good deal or not. I try to treat people with respect and expect the bare minimum of that in return at least.

The last few times I've been in there, there has been a sign to sign up on the list. I was there yesterday, as well, and the sign absolutely was there.
If you need someone to hug you while you buy a gun, Keith's is not the place. I go often enough that they know me on a 1st name basis, now, and even still, there's not a lot of room for niceties. Go in there knowing what you're after, and not to kick tires for three hours and not buy anything, and your experience will improve.
As I said before there was no sign. The door was propped wide open. Perhaps if the door was closed or if I came in the other side I may have seen a sign on the outside of the door but there was no sign at all on the door when it was propped open. Also like I said before they were right in front of me the whole time and it was obvious I was not there to browse. The place had two customers and 2 employees were doing nothing. I did not see any sign in sheet until the lady dug it up after the dickhead owner helped the guy who just walked in after I had been there waiting almost 20 minutes.

I would understand a take the number approach in busy times, covid, etc but the place was empty and employees were just standing around bsing. Also the sign was not visible as you walk in and they made no mention of it. Piss on them. You would at least think they would ask are you signed in or make the slightest attempt to help the customer as the place was empty.

Glad it feels good for you to be on a first name basis with such a person. I sure wouldn't want to be.

To be fair, there's a lot of middle ground between needing a hug while you buy a gun and having to sign in to get on list for them to even acknowledge your presence.

it was obvious I was not there to browse.
How was that obvious? A major point of the sign in sheet is to separate browsers from buyers.
You would at least think they would ask are you signed in or make the slightest attempt to help the customer as the place was empty.
No matter what establishment you're in, the employees don't have a duty to you to make sure you're following the instructions to make sure that you receive the service you expect.
I've not always been a fan of the place. But the straight schit is that it seems like your poor experience there was the result of errors on both sides.

To be fair, there's a lot of middle ground between needing a hug while you buy a gun and having to sign in to get on list for them to even acknowledge your presence.
Need a hug to buy a gun is bs. Not sure where he came up with that. As I said before I walked to where the ammo was and was trying to buy 45LC ammo.

Maybe.
But, if that's how they're running things and you don't follow their direction in their store (just like any other) then they don't have a duty to help you.

How was that obvious? A major point of the sign in sheet is to separate browsers from buyers.

No matter what establishment you're in, the employees don't have a duty to you to make sure you're following the instructions to make sure that you receive the service you expect.
I've not always been a fan of the place. But the straight schit is that it seems like your poor experience there was the result of errors on both sides.
No you are wrong. U were there before so knew about the sign. If u were new and walked in when the door was propped open you would not see any sign. Nor was there any sign in sheet visible (she dug it up only after they helped the guy who was not signed in but knew him on a first name basis), nor did anyone say to sign in despite there being 5 employees for only 2 customers.

I think the point is that there weren't other customers, thereby negating the "need" of a sign in sheet.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top