JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was down at RW Pawn in Hazel Dell picking up a pistol I had purchased from seller in Oregon. They asked me for a copy of the receipt. I told them it was a private transfer and I didn't have one. I was then told that they were audited by the ATF and they're now required to have a copy of a receipt for all private gun sales transferred from another FFL holder. It's not just a requirement to show a receipt, they have to retain a copy for the records. The ATF now wants to track sellers not just the buyers of firearms when the move between FFL holders.

I've purchased several pistols from sellers in Oregon and had them transferred to Washington without problem until now. So if you're selling or buying a private firearm but need to transfer it from one FFL to another FFL (shipping to another city or state), you will need to create a "receipt" for the purchase. This doesn't apply if both parties got to the FFL and do the transfer.

Hm, that's interesting and sucks. Wouldn't the recipient of the firearm (the FFL) have the/a defacto receipt already since that is the actual function he is performing?
he's like a broker

Isn't that just the same thing as when you do it on person though?

The FFL records both the buyers & sellers info, with valid ID's etc.

If so, I can see where the OP's FFL is coming from. Dunno if this is a "new" thing for shipping FFL->FFL, or just private party->FFL, or just being done out of concern of being overly cautious.

-I've done a "bunch" of private party trades, buying, selling & trading, in person at multiple FFL's. I've only run into one FFL whom is adamant about NO CASH TRANSACTIONS inside they're establishment. So, just a simple example in regards to folks perhaps interpreting things more towards the cautionary side.

Maybe they are just getting more strict on requirments. All I know is there is always something new to complicate things and it's getting old. Miss the days where you meet the person and take it home. :(

there was some discussion as the recent private-party bill was in final stages of being imposed via legislative fiat, that such would be the case, of seller background as well as buyer background would become documented.

Maybe they are just getting more strict on requirments. All I know is there is always something new to complicate things and it's getting old. Miss the days where you meet the person and take it home. :(
Still can in some of the free states.
(Yes, I realize the OP was referring to interstate transfer)

there was some discussion as the recent private-party bill was in final stages of being imposed via legislative fiat, that such would be the case, of seller background as well as buyer background would become documented.

I believe in its current state, it is only the weapon being checked (lost/stolen). Not a BGC of the seller.

Something's very wrong about this. Check what would legally constitute a receipt. I speculate, a copy of your payment should do.

Well, they're doing their best to turn law-abiding citizens into criminals. It seems this would violate the 5th (Feds) and 14th (state) amendments regarding due process: "No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law." The requirement of the information and maintenance of the database could constitute a but-for connection to illegal search and seizure.

If it's true, it's wouldn't be a fed requirement. Most likely a WA requirement since they do have a pistol registry.
Might also just be that shop is being overly cautious.

its only a pistol registry if you actually have to register them and maintain registration. Ive got several that I brought into the state or got before the private transfer silliness. Even guns that I bought after the transfer law I dont actually have to have in my posession or give any inkling of where they went if LEO comes to the door. Not a registration. Its just like a 4473 in that it only says you bought a gun once.

I was down at RW Pawn in Hazel Dell picking up a pistol I had purchased from seller in Oregon. They asked me for a copy of the receipt. I told them it was a private transfer and I didn't have one. I was then told that they were audited by the ATF and they're now required to have a copy of a receipt for all private gun sales transferred from another FFL holder. It's not just a requirement to show a receipt, they have to retain a copy for the records. The ATF now wants to track sellers not just the buyers of firearms when the move between FFL holders.

I've purchased several pistols from sellers in Oregon and had them transferred to Washington without problem until now. So if you're selling or buying a private firearm but need to transfer it from one FFL to another FFL (shipping to another city or state), you will need to create a "receipt" for the purchase. This doesn't apply if both parties got to the FFL and do the transfer.

I bought some stripped lowers from another state one time recently, and the FFL wanted to make a photo copy of the receipt in the package....

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews