JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
its only a pistol registry if you actually have to register them and maintain registration. Ive got several that I brought into the state or got before the private transfer silliness. Even guns that I bought after the transfer law I dont actually have to have in my posession or give any inkling of where they went if LEO comes to the door. Not a registration. Its just like a 4473 in that it only says you bought a gun once.

o_O Sounds like what one of my workmates would say who is a major gun grabber...

OP

I think your being asked for a receipt for one reason only. Its all about tax liability. Your FFL is responsible to collect use tax on dealer to dealer transfers. If your "Private Sale" comes through another then you need to provide a receipt showing them it is in fact a private sale, so the transfer is tax exempt. The state has made your FFL liable for taxes and they would need to be able to show this is a private sale or they would have to pony up. If your seller transferred to your dealer direct then it would be easy for your FFL to show it was a private sale as the firearm came from an individual. If you trade a firearm it is the same type of deal for tax purposes. You shouldn't be liable for the amount of firearms that you trade in against the new price...

o_O Sounds like what one of my workmates would say who is a major gun grabber...

OP

I think your being asked for a receipt for one reason only. Its all about tax liability. Your FFL is responsible to collect use tax on dealer to dealer transfers. If your "Private Sale" comes through another then you need to provide a receipt showing them it is in fact a private sale, so the transfer is tax exempt. The state has made your FFL liable for taxes and they would need to be able to show this is a private sale or they would have to pony up. If your seller transferred to your dealer direct then it would be easy for your FFL to show it was a private sale as the firearm came from an individual. If you trade a firearm it is the same type of deal for tax purposes. You shouldn't be liable for the amount of firearms that you trade in against the new price...

It had nothing to do with the state and taxes. The ATF required the FFL to have a copy a the receipt.

Show me the law...

ETA It is easy for you FFL to say the ATF said...I suspect if they got audited and had this marked as a "Private Transfer" the ATF told them to have something to back that up like a receipt as it was shown FFL to FFL...

I know people are paranoid about things that dont really deserve it but if you want a real registration scheme look at the NFA. That is registration under a registry from cradle to grave. Buying something and getting a paper sent into the state who then does nothing with it other than record a transfer is not registration if you are under no obligation whatsoever to maintain a chain of custody. If I buy a handgun in Washington and the state cops show up at my door tomorrow demanding to see my "registered" handgun I can tell them to piss up a rope and get off my lawn . That is the single worse registration scheme in history. No guns you or I have ever brought into the state are "registered ( save for NFA ) . Same goes for guns you have that you got from private sales before the private transfer law. The loopholes and exemptions are enough to make the "registration" aspect worthless and completely unenforceable. Ive lived under gun "registration" and this aint registration.

Last Edited:
I know people are paranoid about things that dont really deserve it but if you want a real registration scheme look at the NFA. That is registration under a registry from cradle to grave. Buying something and getting a paper sent into the state who then does nothing with it other than record a transfer is not registration if you are under no obligation whatsoever to maintain a chain of custody. If I buy a handgun in Washington and the state cops show up at my door tomorrow demanding to see my "registered" handgun I can tell them to piss up a rope and get off my lawn . That is the single worse registration scheme in history.

You can draw the line wherever you like, and call it whatever you want. The state on all pistol transfers maintains a "registry" of you and what you transferred for all handguns that go through an FFL. Semantics if you want to call it that from where I sit. Sure we don't have to "register" handguns and maintain that list yet, but all legal transfers are being recorded now so the state will be maintaining that for you.

Not sure what registry and police showing up at your door unwarranted have to do with any of this. The ATF doesn't show up to check on your NFA stuff and it is a "Registration Scheme" as you state. Having something registered doesn't waive your rights to search and seizure last I checked...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top