JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
C'mon man. All you Idaho dudes. Who you got for Governor, Tom McCall? "Visit, but don't stay!" :D

Didn't work for us here in Oregon. :(
Huh? It's Brad Little, another - pretend to be Republican. Most all politicians are politicians - they're concerned about number one, not the people they're supposed to be representing.

I'm not following your comment about "All you Idaho dude's" though?

Its been a LONG time since they made Cell phones that did not give location. The makers were forced to put the chips in them for just this reason. They are required to work even when they are no longer "active" so they can reach 911.
Given how things are going with LEO's now days, and how you have a real hate on for them, moving may be the best choice for all.
Yeah - it was the GPS activation I wasn't aware of, although it makes sense to me. I have had a few times when the GPS and/or WiFi was turned on without the phone asking me for permission, IIRC. Next time I will pay more attention. I have both location and WiFi turned off by default because they drain the battery so fast and I don't need them most of the time. I think WiFi might get turned on by my VOIP when it can't get a cell signal, but still I would prefer it ask me.

FYI Anyone worried about GPS can buy a cheap GPS jammer. One I got works well and was $35ish bucks. Got one in my backpack (situational) and one at the house thats on all the time.
Where did you purchase that?
Would that interfere with emergency response providers in the immediate area?

From the GPS.gov site:

Federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment that interferes with authorized radio communications, including cellular and Personal Communication Services (PCS), police radar, and Global Positioning Systems (GPS).

I'm originally from the midwest but I've lived in Boise since the mid 70's when Boise was quite literally a little town. Despite the fact that it's being ruined by all the influx of …. I don't need to say if you live here….it's really still fairly safe. I've always chose not to be a victim though, you won't catch me "anywhere", 30 years ago, or now - un armed.
I have 6 grandkids and would definitely rather have them here, than Seattle. As to where I prefer to spend my time - it's certainly not here anymore, too many people now for my liking, it won't be long before I pack up and move somewhere with MUCH less people.
My stepdaughter just sold her place in Caldwell and moved to the stix. She and her BF hated the "new" Boise with it's new denizens/traffic/crowding. She can work online so she's happy.

Yeah - it was the GPS activation I wasn't aware of, although it makes sense to me. I have had a few times when the GPS and/or WiFi was turned on without the phone asking me for permission, IIRC. Next time I will pay more attention. I have both location and WiFi turned off by default because they drain the battery so fast and I don't need them most of the time. I think WiFi might get turned on by my VOIP when it can't get a cell signal, but still I would prefer it ask me.
Yes we keep it off on ours unless we are using it since its a lot of drain. For 911 it can not be. For that its on even if the phone is no longer active. Its why old cell phones that are no longer active make a great emergency phone.
Police call them "911 Only" phones. They get no info from them other than location but, as long as they have juice they can call 911.

From the GPS.gov site:

Federal law prohibits the operation, marketing, or sale of any type of jamming equipment that interferes with authorized radio communications, including cellular and Personal Communication Services (PCS), police radar, and Global Positioning Systems (GPS).
This has always been the case - for decades.

You bring up another term which in the IT field profiling. A user profile determines appropriate action. Maybe that's a can of worms. I hope you and your family are ok. In portland they are putting up cameras which create revenue but don't seem to address the vehicles that are noncompliant.

Yes we keep it off on ours unless we are using it since its a lot of drain. For 911 it can not be. For that its on even if the phone is no longer active. Its why old cell phones that are no longer active make a great emergency phone.
Police call them "911 Only" phones. They get no info from them other than location but, as long as they have juice they can call 911.
Yes, I have several old "inactive" cell phones I keep in vehicles and around the house, just in case I can't find/get to my phone or my phone battery is dead.

Huh? It's Brad Little, another - pretend to be Republican. Most all politicians are politicians - they're concerned about number one, not the people they're supposed to be representing.

I'm not following your comment about "All you Idaho dude's" though?
Sorry if I wasn't clear. It just seems like more and more of the posts I'm seeing on here (not just this thread) from the good folks in Idaho, are trying to discourage people from moving there. (Not that I blame them.) The comment wasn't directed at you or anyone else in particular.

Years ago Oregon's governor was Tom McCall. He was famously quoted as saying something along the lines of "Welcome to Oregon. Visit, but don't stay." I think his comment was primarily directed toward Californians. Bumper stickers with the quote were quite common.

Actually, I just Googled it and in an interview with CBS News in 1971, he was quoted as saying: "Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live."

I agree to some extent to what you're saying but it also sounds like you're making excuses for them…

No offense intended..
What did they do that the need an "excuse" for? Show up to see if somebody in your household needs help? Show up to an unknown situation ready for anything? Showed up wary?

gave it to was a horrible abusive man that beat women and one day that man beat up his woman and she called the police with this phone? Would they come directly to my house, kick down my door thinking I was the one who did it
Now you are starting to see things from the responder's perspective.... this is what the call could have been, and many LEOs get shot during domestic violence calls.

Well for one that would make me feel even worse, and right after my son messed up I turned the phone off so he would not continue to play with it.

Great, it's ever so comforting to know that the powers that be can spy on us whenever they want.

All my phones have location services turned off, but apparently 911 is immune from that thus my concern that big Brother is watching me/us regardless of what I/we do to protect our anonymity.
Oh come now.... surely you know/heard years ago that we are being watched. All communications are recorded by the NSA and stored in HUGE data centers. Tucker Carlson's recent complaint about being spied on by NSA is kinda grandstanding because his situation is OPS-Normal. They used to be able to turn on the mic in your landline. Same for Alexa.There is no electronic privacy, hasn't been for decades.

But if you want to make the effort, there is lot's of info how to do it on Youtube... but it's too much work for me... I just assume that they know EVERYTHING and go on about living my life.

BTW, take the battery out of that old cell phone. Or smash it.... that's what I do with old hard drives.

From the GPS.gov site:

Why does this not surprise me…

My autistic child accidently dialed 911 today (Sat). But here is the messed up part, the phone he used is no longer in service yet they were able to trace it to my home anyway...
I guess what they say is true, they know everything anyway so I might as well form 1 my SP5. If the time comes to kick down my door to take my guns it wont matter if I form 1 them or not...

They took the typical "at the ready stance" when addressing me. The one talking to me walked down to my yard after pounding on my door (before I opened the door, not after of course), shifted to the side to get me to expose myself more while talking to him (did not work, I knew what they were doing) the other two took a 9 and 3 o'clock stance on the sides of him in the fake "relaxed look mode" it was obvious they knew there were guns in my residence and wanted to be ready for a possible encounter. The two on either side of the addressing individual could take me out if I did anything. I am ex leo myself so I know the drill. The problem is that I would not do anything stupid and my child was right there, but the mere fact that they were expecting a problem outright and they allowed that to control their behavior is troubling. Back in my day we knew the drill but we were also taught how to spot when a problem might occur, not just assume that one was going to happen right from the get go....

I need to move the f_uck out of this city and state... the anti-gun sentiment, the liberal/leftist politics is making it unbearable to live here...
They were expecting a gimp that just got loose from the basement and found a phone. Hopefully you thanked them for their thankless service.

I understand that George Orwell is alive and well and we've (gun owners especially) been monitored for a long time. Thus my original comment of just form 1ing my pistol and putting a stock on it because if they already know what I have then when/if the time comes for them to jack boot my door down and potentially kill me to take it there's really nothing I can do to stop them and if I fight back and get Killed in the process then I guess it all ends out the same doesn't it.

The police responded to a 911 call.

The call was placed accidentally.

Not seeing a problem. Suppose any number of problems could occur. None did.
Don't care, I want them to stay away from me, I will handle my own problems. If there is a medical emergency I will state that clearly. those are the only "responders" that I want (if need be) on my property.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top