JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
everyone should know by now that all unactivated cell phones can call 911, thats a safety feature and for good reason. So the cops show up at the door of an unknown silent 911 call (often a tactic of someone being assaulted...) and... nothing happened.

Sounds like they did their job.

everyone should know by now that all unactivated cell phones can call 911, thats a safety feature and for good reason. So the cops show up at the door of an unknown silent 911 call (often a tactic of someone being assaulted...) and... nothing happened.

Sounds like they did their job.
I know inactive phones can call 911, my main concern was the phone number itself that was on the phone was ported to a new phone so why is the old phone still connected to my existing address? What if I were to give the phone away and the person I gave it to was a horrible abusive man that beat women and one day that man beat up his woman and she called the police with this phone? Would they come directly to my house, kick down my door thinking I was the one who did it because it was connected to my existing address??
That's the point I'm trying to make.

I know inactive phones can call 911, my main concern was the phone number itself that was on the phone was ported to a new phone so why is the old phone still connected to my existing address? What if I were to give the phone away and the person I gave it to was a horrible abusive man that beat women and one day that man beat up his woman and she called the police with this phone? Would they come directly to my house, kick down my door thinking I was the one who did it because it was connected to my existing address??
That's the point I'm trying to make.
no, because the phone uses its GPS automatically to notify where exactly the call is coming from. Not the service plan address. They don't even contact the wireless provider, the phone sends its coordinates at the moment the call is placed.
All phones do this, its required by law they do this... and for good reason.

no, because the phone uses its GPS automatically to notify where exactly the call is coming from. Not the service plan address. They don't even contact the wireless provider, the phone sends its coordinates at the moment the call is placed.
All phones do this, its required by law they do this... and for good reason.
Great, it's ever so comforting to know that the powers that be can spy on us whenever they want.

Great, it's ever so comforting to know that the powers that be can spy on us whenever they want.
no, anyone can turn off location services on their phones at any time, except for 911 calls. its not like your calling 911 all the time.

no, anyone can turn off location services on their phones at any time, except for 911 calls. its not like your calling 911 all the time.
All my phones have location services turned off, but apparently 911 is immune from that thus my concern that big Brother is watching me/us regardless of what I/we do to protect our anonymity.

I agree to some extent to what you're saying but it also sounds like you're making excuses for them…

No offense intended..
What excuse do they need? 911 is an emergency line. What if the tweekers down the street were ripping you off. Should they answer the 911 call and ask questions? Just sayin. Did they search you or your house? No? Were they satisfied with your responses? Yes?

Then I cannot see any problem. In some cases, government intrusion is warranted and for the public (and private good). Don;t like it? Dump that phone! Simple, right? I did that for 31 years and I'm just telling you Paul Harvey's "rest of the story."

That's all.

All my phones have location services turned off, but apparently 911 is immune from that thus my concern that big Brother is watching me/us regardless of what I/we do to protect our anonymity.
then dont use a cell phone. Landlines are still a thing.

My autistic child accidently dialed 911 today (Sat). But here is the messed up part, the phone he used is no longer in service yet they were able to trace it to my home anyway...
Phones can still dial 911 whether they are in in service or not - maybe they went with the last registered address/customer for the phone? I doubt they could get an exact address via a cell tower - they can come close - unless the phone GPS was turned on and it transmitted the location - even then...

I almost never have the location services turned on, but I would bet that calling 911 could cause GPS to turn on automatically, and maybe the 911 system is able to cross reference GPS coordinates with an address?

I will tell you I have personally been, to some degree, mourning the death of america as if it has already officially happened. I have been fighting off the idea of trying to convince everyone I love that we need to get the hell out of here while it is still no problem to do so because the writing is on the wall...for quite a few years.
I have also noted the decline of what we used to think of American ideals. But, where can we move to? It seems almost all westernized societies are suffering the same issues, perhaps on a smaller scale based on population size and diversity.

There is also the theory of how this country has gone through different phases in a cycle, of prosperity to decline, and then back again. Certain mindsets want to burn it all to the ground, and they're definitely trying... but eventually, enough people will find the will to fight back. Unfortunately, that won't happen until after a lot of damage is done, and lives are lost.

-Robert

No warranty....no looky looky.

Even if I were holding a severed head and a bloody knife, I would still never grant permission to enter. :D

-E-

Don't give up on the state.
You'd be surprised how "un Seattle, un Olympia " we are out here in the sticks.
I guarantee my local chief of police knows I buy a handgun every 2 or 3 weeks. That's seen as a plus for the community around here.
What chaps my hide is still having to pay property taxes to this corrupt state government, no mater where you live.
I'm out of here soon.

I have also noted the decline of what we used to think of American ideals. But, where can we move to? It seems almost all westernized societies are suffering the same issues, perhaps on a smaller scale based on population size and diversity.

There is also the theory of how this country has gone through different phases in a cycle, of prosperity to decline, and then back again. Certain mindsets want to burn it all to the ground, and they're definitely trying... but eventually, enough people will find the will to fight back. Unfortunately, that won't happen until after a lot of damage is done, and lives are lost.

-Rob
The "where can we go" question is the reason I have fought the idea off. Not only is there no where to go that even SEEMS to be likely to be a better place to live free but, because there is no place on earth that offers a better potential future, we all have a duty to fight to keep it...at the cost of whatever it costs. I saw an Abraham Lincoln quote that really tilted the scales for me.
"We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. Other means may succeed; this could not fail. The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just — a way which, if followed, the world will forever applaud, and God must forever bless." How could anyone ever be so selfish as to abandon the light of the world? I agree though, it will be very costly.

I had the same experience several years ago when the youngest grandchild [a pre-schooler] randomly poked 911. Only two policemen though.

I've only had a few interactions with police over the years, and in all cases I would say they were wary/cautious but professional.
- Daughter saw a neighbor shot to death across the street while looking out her front window. I called 911 and did CPR on the guy [two contact shots to the chest] until the police and ambulance arrived.
- Was retrieving my chop saw from the brother-in-law's and triggered his silent house alarm, which he had neglected to tell me about. Of course the police pulled up as I was putting the saw in my truck.
- Was working in my garage when I heard several shots and a bullet whizzed by, hitting the curb in front of the neighbors. Called 911 and went down the street to corral all the kids that had witnessed the altercation until the police arrived.

Actually, the only unnerving civilian experience was crossing the border at San Ysidro with a load of donations for an orphanage the same day the Tijuana chief of police and his family were assassinated. Didn't find out what had happened until I reached my destination, but the pervasive lack of trigger discipline at the crossing had me questioning my sanity. :s0112:

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top