JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Longwalkhome I'm glad you take the time to engage and express opinions here but you are truly showcasing your lack of knowledge on how the world wide web and social media work and I would never expect you to fully wrap your head around it or entirely accept the concept. I will go ahead and claim this quote as I said almost 17 years ago. I never read or even heard it uttered by another soul. "God won't end the world, the internet will". Let me take you back to the early 90s when I helped my friend start a dial up isp service. This was a slightly more sophisticated way of connecting to the web with computers that had dial up modems during a time when everybody else was latching onto the America Online tit. Maybe you recall all the free AOL CDs that came in the mail? Yeah I was there. Been there and done all that. I even helped promote the internet to a major sport and worked with team owners and their PR staff in creating and maintaining team web sites and even got sports figures to participate by writing blogs. I hit a lot of block walls in those days. The team owners and the majority of sports figures were reluctant to dive in. Looking back now, I don't blame them. The only reason I had an in is I had previously worked for a handful of those teams in other roles.

Don't get me wrong here, you're a good egg, and just set in your ways. I get that! However some of your replies involving social media and influencers are quite off base and incorrect. Moving forward we just have to accept the fact that zoom meetings, virtual town halls, podcasts, and debates are more widely accepted over the internet and social media platforms vs. the days of old. This is where the world is headed like it or not. It's entirely your right to decide how you proceed. I'm glad I'm old enough to appreciate and miss the antiquated way of living. I have no qualms moving off grid and having minimal electronic communications with the outside world. I'm hoping some day to cut wires and become a little more engaged with nature.
:D well howdy again, that bayonet fits perfect and makes the collection really stand out to me. Thanks for selling it to me.

So I showcase my lack of knowledge? More likely I have formed an opinion from what differences I see but your opinion is welcome about what you think that I think. It's all we have is opinions and after watching another thread closed we are lucky to get a word out:)

Set in my ways:D yes some of my ways are set, there is no way I follow the herd and those who are influencers of opinions. I tend to look at facts and what's different over what fad or trend the world of the net wants to follow. More an old fud than that believes in old ideal like our constitution, honor, integrity and those things the net pretty much leaves behind.

Thanks friend for a moment to share opinions, I have met you and your decency is obvious in your ways.

Have a great day.

Last Edited:
For better or for worse, his opinion has a lot of weight behind it.. Glad he changed his views; we need more of this on social media.
That depends.. I factually never heard of him till just now and even then had I known I probably wouldn't have cared . People who listen to social influencers and derive their opinions from what a celeb or talking head has to say are sheep at best and easily herded to and fro .

That depends.. I factually never heard of him till just now and even then had I known I probably wouldn't have cared . People who listen to social influencers and derive their opinions from what a celeb or talking head has to say are sheep at best and easily herded to and fro .
"People who watch main stream media, listen to podcasts, get info off of forums, etc are sheep, and easily manipulated."

I can say these things, however, it doesn't make them true. Watching a certain news medium neither defines you, nor does it dictate your actions. Blindly following one news source and taking their word as gospel is where the issues lay. So many people simply watch CBS, Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc. and take their version of news as hard facts. JP and all the other "influencers" are no different than Rachel Maddow or Tucker Carlson.

The nets true value is buy and sell of products, not opinions.
DDE35C13-CD84-495A-B907-8E2D480BA1B1.jpeg

My own opinions have gone from ambiguous, leaning towards negative but an understanding that gun ownership was a right. And living in California where gun ownership is a hassle to moving to the, then free state of Oregon and meeting good people.

In this case I believe he is sincere but doesn't have the depth of firearms appreciation and knowledge yet. A year or two later he could make a better video but in the meantime he is reaching people that could be influenced. Imagine if Oprah said, ladies go buy a gun. That's a lot of influence.

This guy gets it.

Also, I posted a screenshot of the vid in question on Monday, where it had ~547k views (worth about $10k into JP's pocket).

Here's six days later:
View attachment 1125472

That's +273k views in 6 days (~$5k revenue) and an additional 20k subscribers to the channel.

From one video. In less than a week.

Yea…that's influence.
Not arguing but I don't think it's influence but useing the system to make money. The big draw is to sell advertising and basically that's what the system is. Influence would sell products, he is promoting opinions that draw people to the advertising. He is paid by the advertisers by the number of viewers he brings in, if he had real influence then companies would pay him to sell products.

Just opinion and I really don't care and never watch that crap, nor does he get money from me. It is great he is making money though.

Not arguing but I don't think it's influence but useing the system to make money. The big draw is to sell advertising and basically that's what the system is. Influence would sell products, he is promoting opinions that draw people to the advertising. He is paid by the advertisers by the number of viewers he brings in, if he had real influence then companies would pay him to sell products.

Just opinion and I really don't care and never watch that crap, nor does he get money from me. It is great he is making money though.
Skip to the 00:15:00 mark in the video. That's where he hawks products for direct sponsors.

"If he had real influence, people would pay him to sell products" — I'm glad you think so…because they do…they're called direct sponsors. And there are actually very, very few opinion-hawking YouTubers with such an audience *who don't* take on sponsors.

😂

Skip to the 00:15:00 mark in the video. That's where he hawks products for direct sponsors.

"If he had real influence, people would pay him to sell products" — I'm glad you think so…because they do…they're called direct sponsors. And there are actually very, very few opinion-hawking YouTubers with such an audience *who don't* take on sponsors.

😂
I am kinda old fashion:D I value my time compared to what I get for it. When someone puts up a you tube if the lead in add is over 6 seconds I normally won't watch the you tube. Occasionally there is a trailer I will sit through 15 seconds but I turn the sound off of the advertising.

I don't have TV cable service but will watch unadvertised streaming at times. My life limits commercials so guys like that would never influence me. Unless of course he was selling a new SA P35.:cool:

I am kinda old fashion:D I value my time compared to what I get for it. When someone puts up a you tube if the lead in add is over 6 seconds I normally won't watch the you tube. Occasionally there is a trailer I will sit through 15 seconds but I turn the sound off of the advertising.

I don't have TV cable service but will watch unadvertised streaming at times. My life limits commercials so guys like that would never influence me. Unless of course he was selling a new SA P35.:cool:
I honestly forget what it's like to listen/watch YouTube ads - I got into it and paid for ad-less a few years ago.

Haven't seen a traditional commercial as a consumer in damn near 15 years - and I'm barely touching mid 30's so I think that's saying something. The world of media and advertising is changing rapidly. I still have only guesses as to what traditional cable TV is going to do when the older generations kick the bucket - they've done nothing to adapt to younger audiences.

I honestly forget what it's like to listen/watch YouTube ads - I got into it and paid for ad-less a few years ago.

Haven't seen a traditional commercial as a consumer in damn near 15 years - and I'm barely touching mid 30's so I think that's saying something. The world of media and advertising is changing rapidly. I still have only guesses as to what traditional cable TV is going to do when the older generations kick the bucket - they've done nothing to adapt to younger audiences.
:D old guys would never PAY to not see adds, we just turn it all off or mute the sound. The really huge change is streaming shows, movie makers can't depend on the old ways of selling viewing now that covid shut down theaters. I guess the future is home entertainment and the end of big screens and big sound. Folks will accept it,, they won't have a choice.

That's your opinion :D see how much it sells for :s0140:
Haha! Not what I was trying to say though. Not selling of opinions, but crafting and molding other's opinions that is the product. Any one of us would be naive to think that the unique thoughts, perspectives, and opinions we hold were not somehow influenced by something we saw or read online - be it on YouTube, or Facebook, or news sites.

Haha! Not what I was trying to say though. Not selling of opinions, but crafting and molding other's opinions that is the product. Any one of us would be naive to think that the unique thoughts, perspectives, and opinions we hold were not somehow influenced by something we saw or read online - be it on YouTube, or Facebook, or news sites.
Some of us are a bit older than your examples of influence listed above. But I get where you're going.
I find the people and opinions I appreciate - are in align with what I already held, personally - gleaned from my own experiences. Pre-internet.

tv.png

I find the people and opinions I appreciate - are in align with what I already held, personally - gleaned from my own experiences. Pre-internet.
Ditto this exactly being of a pre-internet age as well!

I tend to be skeptical and careful of what I see and read on the internet & social media in general - and find myself using it less than I used to.

I am sure there is a segment of the population gets all of its thinking from the net. Its mostly those that have no life but the net in my opinion.

Sites are more like bars or taverns and the best ones are social gatherings that folks enjoy with a little business as an extra. The crowd talks about subjects and opinions vary by what their source is but in general the opinions also have big differences when it comes to age and life experiences.

Fakebook and the rest can't form opinions over folks who know better. Hiring ccp fact checkers to lie to the public only works if the reader has no life experience. What the net feeds folks as news is mostly opinions and bs but you are right that some folks believe it.

Fakebook and the rest can't form opinions over folks who know better. Hiring ccp fact checkers to lie to the public only works if the reader has no life experience. What the net feeds folks as news is mostly opinions and bs but you are right that some folks believe it.
That's the whole point - children and young adults are in this demographic, and they represent a significant majority of internet users. Many don't have enough life experience to know better, or go along with it anyway because they idolize people who hold those beliefs. Habits & beliefs cemented early in a person's life tend to carry through long into adulthood, even when the subject is surrounded by evidence that contradicts their world view. So, nobody is worried about the 40- or 50-something year old being influenced by online content - they're too old to be reliably convinced of a new truth.

That's the whole point - children and young adults are in this demographic, and they represent a significant majority of internet users. Many don't have enough life experience to know better, or go along with it anyway because they idolize people who hold those beliefs. Habits & beliefs cemented early in a person's life tend to carry through long into adulthood, even when the subject is surrounded by evidence that contradicts their world view. So, nobody is worried about the 40- or 50-something year old being influenced by online content - they're too old to be reliably convinced of a new truth.
Speaking just for this old man, I am pleased with a lot of younger people really catching on to the lies and manipulation of the net and media. I used to worry about them but now days any conversation I have is with younger folks that are thinkers now. It seems the covid lock downs have brought people back to reality. The outright murderous lies on the media are clear to everyone now that isn't afraid to look.

In a sense it's still manipulation when it brings folks to the truth but what we are yet to see is what's done with knowing the truth. Canada is the bright spot in the world, folks that get it and go out to change things for the better.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top