JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Trolling again? :/

Agreed, too many red flags on this thread...

I understand there are some great forms of body-armour on the civilian market that may be even better than what the military uses
What do you define as "better"? Dragon skin was heavier and useless when wet (i.e. you sweat too much or went out in the rain). The plates would shift and be useless in certain conditions. The interceptor body armor is superior by any standards I've seen for personal use.

I just can not fathom why a civilian would need the stuff, unless intent on some kind of shooting spree that winds up in a face-off with police, a civilian militia unit in case the government gets overthrown or some other oddball situation that may or may not happen. I think its pretty well known that a certain famous hollywood shootout, the perpetrators were dressed from head to toe in body armour.

FYI, with the Hollywood shootout you mentioned the perps only had armor on their torso...no helmets, groin protectors, leg covers, ect. LEOs just aimed center mass with 147gr 9mm JHPs- which was not too effective IMHO.

As for the why do I "need" body armor, I guess I can say why do you need to vote? I mean, the government has your best interest anyways, why even bother to vote? Why not just let them do whatever it is that they do so you can live in ignorance watching CNN, eating donuts and taking prozac.

Since the assault weapons ban expired, civilians have access to some high-firepower weaponry...
I bought my first AR-15 in 2003...it just didn't have an adjustable stock, flash suppressor and I couldn't put a magazine over 10 rounds on it. If I indeed wanted to wear my body armor to do a shooting spree, you think I would've avoided legal issues by keeping it the status quo on the rifle? You think I would just leave a 10-rounder on it? What about California? They've had an AWB varient on record for YEARS- you think that AK and AR variants don't exist there?

Ok sj, how many countries have faced downfall or had seriously bad things happen to them from making purchase and use of body-armour illegal? I need real references too, not your opinion.

There have been shooting sprees where the perpetrator wore body-armour, suggesting he was anticipating a shoot-out with police. The N. Hollywood shoot-out is the most famous example, but right off the top of a google search this guy killed 13 and was wearing it

<broken link removed>

Riot, atleast your civil about the topic at hand, I can't believe some people get angry over my questioning of a self-defense item that is only useful in a shoot-out. Perhaps I am wrong, not many people use it, I was just curious if anyone on here has used it. Maybe I should be asking a body-armour forum instead of a firearms forum, it might have more experts on cases where they needed it in a non-combat zone or for police duty.

In a hypothetical terrorism scenario, there are plenty of civilian products that can be used that are far more deadly than someone with a firearm and body-armour.

Well Ive never been in a "high-risk" environment that required body-armour for starters. I prefer to live in "low-risk" areas and in such areas I don't see why I, or anyone else besides law-enforcement, would need to purchase body-armour.
Superjew...are you incapable of understanding that many forum members don't live with our parents in a nice neighborhood. The above quote seems to imply that you can only see the world through your very limited life experiences.

It seems that I have offended a great many of you for simply asking the question.
It is more that you seem to enjoy stirrin' the pot by comin' here and spoutin' your opinions that're based on a short, sheltered life.

"snip"

The short answer to your question, using your own circuitous logic path. In my experience someone wearing body armor poses no threat to me. So I'm cool with folks havin' it.

first, to answer the question:
Is there a legitimate purpose for civillians to purchase and wear body-armor?

Yes. To avoid injuries from gunshots. As to the who-what-where-why, I cannot cite every example. I don't feel the need to cite even a single example. The need is in the mind of the user.

Secondly, I would encourage posters to stick to the facts and address the OP's questions without resorting to accusation, innuendo, and trite political posturing.

first, to answer the question:
Is there a legitimate purpose for civillians to purchase and wear body-armor?

Yes. To avoid injuries from gunshots. As to the who-what-where-why, I cannot cite every example. I don't feel the need to cite even a single example. The need is in the mind of the user.

Secondly, I would encourage posters to stick to the facts and address the OP's questions without resorting to accusation, innuendo, and trite political posturing.

Are we people
or are we scum.
its up to SJ to decide

Many years ago, before the advent of GPS, I went on a business trip to New Jersey, and I got lost driving a rental car, and ended up on a really bad neighborhood. I wanted to gas up, but I saw that the attendant was behind a 6-inch thick glass.

It is one of those times that I wish I was wearing a body armor.

It's already been said in this thread, but being a judge, attorney, etc...i would definitely own body armor. private security would use body armor, i don't really understand this question. i'm barely 21, but i can think of many people that would have a legitimate use for body armor. think outside the box a little bit..

Of course bad guys that wanna shoot people would use body armor. Better survival chances that way. Am I right?

I don't really understand how you can't see a use for the stuff. The world isn't candyland.

It's already been said in this thread, but being a judge, attorney, etc...i would definitely own body armor. private security would use body armor, i don't really understand this question. i'm barely 21, but i can think of many people that would have a legitimate use for body armor. think outside the box a little bit..

Of course bad guys that wanna shoot people would use body armor. Better survival chances that way. Am I right?

I don't really understand how you can't see a use for the stuff. The world isn't candyland.

That sounds like a legitimate use to me for the sale and use of body-armour in the private sector. Thats all I was looking for.

That sounds like a legitimate use to me for the sale and use of body-armour in the private sector. Thats all I was looking for.

Sorry that you thought that was a personal attack.

I am glad that someone convinced you that there is a legitimate use for body armor.

Superjew...I have kids about your age. I have sheltered them somewhat, as a parent should.
They haven't had the same life experiences that I have. You haven't either.

Without sounding too condescending, you will one day move out from the folks home. You may be unable to afford housing in a neighborhood as nice as the one that you currently reside in. Your opinion may change.

But there is absolutely no reason for me to base a single decision in my life based on what one young, relatively sheltered person thinks.

Good luck in life.

w44

Im on the phone at the moment, what was the question?

"I'm more important that you, don't wear BA because you don't matter"... I'll address this question when I'm off the phone... SJ, you are a bad person who doesn't care about other people. I sleep while knowing I never acted to hurt others. You are a person who does indirect harm to others... please leave this forum that acts to educate and help citizens, and drive education, not elitism.

The N. Hollywood shooters wore home-made body armor, and it did indeed include leg protection, IIRC. Kind of hard to make a legal case for banning something you can gin up in your garage. What the average Joe can't do is make concealable ballistic garments, and I think that's the best and most useful type. The type I own.

There is no good reason not to have some kind of ballistic garment, especially if you already own umpteen guns. Why not branch out into a little defensive hardware? You can jump into it pretty quickly if something goes bump in the night, or you can slip into it before you go ride MAX at night.

This NW climate lends itself to wearing a soft vest, too. I honestly don't see a downside to owning and practicing with a vest the same way I carry and practice with a pistol.

What swayed me is FerFAL's perspective:
SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA: body armor
After TSHTF it's too late to decide you'd like to have an added advantage on the street.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top