JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have armor because our cops are to heavy to carry. I am pretty sure that it is illegal for bad folk to have body armor. So the only question is if law abiding people should be able to own it. If the time comes that you wish you had it, it is to late.
Oregon

§ 166.642
Felon in possession of body armor

(1) A person commits the crime of felon in possession of body armor if the person:

>>(a) Has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving violence under the law of any state or the United States; and
>>(b) Knowingly is in possession or control of body armor.

(2) Felon in possession of body armor is a Class C felony.

(3) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a person who has been found to be within the jurisdiction of a juvenile court for having committed an act that would constitute a felony or misdemeanor involving violence has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving violence.

(4) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

>>(a) A person who is wearing body armor provided by a peace officer for the person's safety or protection while the person is being transported or accompanied by a peace officer; or
>>(b) A person who has been convicted of only one felony under the law of this state or any other state, or who has been convicted of only one felony under the law of the United States, which felony did not involve criminal homicide, as defined in ORS 163.005 (Criminal homicide), and who has been discharged from imprisonment, parole or probation for the offense for a period of 15 years prior to the date of the alleged violation of subsection (1) of this section.

(5) It is an affirmative defense to a charge of violating subsection (1) of this section that a protective order or restraining order has been entered to the benefit of the person. The affirmative defense created by this subsection is not available if the person possesses the body armor while committing or attempting to commit a crime. [2001 c.635 §2]

From my understanding of the definition of an internet troll, you meet the criteria.

+1

I had a question that needed answering, I fail to see how I am trolling, other than I can't see a plausible reason to own it and some people on here do.

A troll asks questions like this. But I'm gonna feed it anyway

People may want it as a collectors item. Maybe save it for a shtf senario. maybe you transport money. Maybe someone has given you a death threat. Maybe you just want it in case a senario ever comes up where you feel you might be shot at for whatever reason. There are several valid reasons I could think of. Why would you assume it has anything to do with a standoff with police? Thats a troll thing to say. Or, as mentioned above, you watch too many movies. Police use rifles/assault rifles these days and those go right through a vest... the california shooting you mentioned was during a time when cops used 9mm pistols primarily and they still lit those idiots up

Do you realize that after the Rodney King riots civilian clothing with Kevlar lining was a pretty hot item in certain parts of the country. I recall reading stories of parents in NYC buying their kids those kinds of jackets. I can pretty much assume that these parents were also on the left side of the political spectrum.

Stirring the pot yet again I see... SJ, the type of questions you ask and comments you make - and the way in which you phrase them - makes it fairly clear that you're trying to get people riled up.

I see no harm at all in asking a question like Superjew's. We are here to discuss such things aren't we? At least he is on topic this time. I remember some threads regarding why people "need" high capacity magazines a few months ago. It never hurts to discuss different points of view regarding a topic. It sometimes may give you some new arguements that you had never heard before that strengthen your point, and may make you face some that weaken it. Always worth while.

I understand there are some great forms of body-armour on the civilian market that may be even better than what the military uses (dragon-skin, which I've heard is better than interceptor armor despite failing a high profile military test)

I just can not fathom why a civilian would need the stuff, unless intent on some kind of shooting spree that winds up in a face-off with police, a civilian militia unit in case the government gets overthrown or some other oddball situation that may or may not happen. I think its pretty well known that a certain famous hollywood shootout, the perpetrators were dressed from head to toe in body armour.

Can someone please elaborate for those of us that don't know why there is a need for body armor? Since the assault weapons ban expired, civilians have access to some high-firepower weaponry but who in the heck would need body armor? Couldn't the ability for US Citizenry to purchase body-armor be abused and smuggled to Mexican drug cartels, criminals or other enemies of the state? There is nothing in the 2A that states that the public needs to be protected from firearms, on top of bearing them.

This guy sounds awfully liberal to me in his questioning. Is the next question, why would anyone need guns? It's not a matter of "if" someone needs body armor. I sold an interceptor vest with plates I bought from a contractor buddy to a guy to wear out during elk season. I though he was nuts, but he was scared to death of someone shooting him. I use to hunt/fish with a guy, who in his youth, had to help his dad haul out a dead body of a hunter they'd come across during and elk trip. The guy was still alive when they found him. Got shot by another hunter. It's a realistic fear I suppose. In my case, I just don't go out elk hunting during modern firearm season in popular areas. Most of the people I know that own body armor are "preppers" or survivalist. They have a vest of several for their family, in the event that SHTF, or whatever. They feel that if running around in a lawless chaotic situation, may not be a bad idea to have body armor. Some people keep it at home incase of an armed invasion. Personally, if I had the choice, I'd rather confront an armed intruder wearing a vest, then take a chance of him getting a shot off and hitting me.

I bet if you looked into statistic, the number of crimes involving people wearing body armor is so minute, that there are more people who have died of a bee sting while being attacked by a great white shark, in fresh water. The whole Mexican drug smuggling cartel thing is a bunch of b.s. This is the medias latest spin to make you feel guilty for owning guns, especially assault rifles, so you think that if you buy them/sell them, you support that nonsense. People have been smuggling drugs across the boarder for a long long long time. I'm sorry, but what local gun shop did the cartel members get full auto AK's from? I don' think they just walked into an California or Texas gun shop, or bought it private sale.

Is there a legitimate purpose for civillians to purchase and wear body-armor?

SuperJew, please read this story of an incident yesterday a few miles from my house and then post the answer to your original question.

<broken link removed>

Seriously, I'd like to hear your answer.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with perceived need on the part of any one other than the person who wants it. I need on entity other than my own conscience to dictate my needs to me.
I understand there are some great forms of body-armour on the civilian market that may be even better than what the military uses (dragon-skin, which I've heard is better than interceptor armor despite failing a high profile military test)

I just can not fathom why a civilian would need the stuff, unless intent on some kind of shooting spree that winds up in a face-off with police, a civilian militia unit in case the government gets overthrown or some other oddball situation that may or may not happen. I think its pretty well known that a certain famous hollywood shootout, the perpetrators were dressed from head to toe in body armour.

Can someone please elaborate for those of us that don't know why there is a need for body armor? Since the assault weapons ban expired, civilians have access to some high-firepower weaponry but who in the heck would need body armor? Couldn't the ability for US Citizenry to purchase body-armor be abused and smuggled to Mexican drug cartels, criminals or other enemies of the state? There is nothing in the 2A that states that the public needs to be protected from firearms, on top of bearing them.

Why in the name of all thats Holy should we make th role of "law enforcement officers easier"
The potential for making a criminal much harder for your average police officer to take down is there if the perpetrator is wearing body-armour is why I question it.

I am just on the fence on this issue, Ive stated and you can probably tell I have left leanings, but I also like the AWB expiring. I want more information before I develop an opinion on the matter so I go here.

WHo here actually owns and wears body-armor that isn't a police officer or in a combat unit in a warzone, and what reasoning made you decided to purchase it and use it?

I guess Im not paranoid about civil unrest or that food-insurance program that Glenn Beck sells and the backpack with 60 MRE's. I have a guy at my work who stockpiles canned goods and shotgun shells incase of some kind of holocaust, but I don't understand his, or other peoples mindset that makes them resort to that sort of stuff.

Funny, I use body armor frequently because I have a high-risk profession. (No, it's not law enforcement and it's also NOYB).
The notion that because someone bad might misuse a thing said thing ought to be banned is the worst form of nanny-state totalitarianism. Shall we ban knives? How about baseball bats? Pool cues?

Laws don't prevent anyone from obtaining something if they want it badly enough. You used the cartels as an example. Are you really so naive that you think multi-billion dollar organized crime organizations can't get body armor whether or not it's illegal? Seriously?

There are many people who have a perfectly legitimate NEED for body armor. Plenty of others who just want it. The notion that government should be in the business of telling people they can't possess something merely because someone "might" abuse it is silly unless you can make an overwhelming argument in favor of it. the default position is no, governments shouldn't ban stuff. It should be up the government to have to prove an overwhelming need before criminalizing mere possession of anything.

And FWIW, a criminal going on a shooting spree wearing body armor thinking he's got protection is in for a nasty surprise because most cops these days carry around M-4s which will pierce just about any body armor out there. And If I shoot you with a .308 round, you're going down, at least long enough for me to come up and shoot you in the face. Body armor won't do crap to help you from a well-placed shot in the ocular cranial area of the head.

Is a nutcup considered body armor? I played hockey in highschool and never took the ice without one protecting my most prized possessions.

nope sheep don't need body armor

I have it for 2 reasons.

1. Shooting in public areas. I don't trust people to begin with, especially when it's a bunch of illegals that pull up drinking and smoking pot while trying to shoot.

2. If my door gets kicked in in the middle of the night.

I have faith in my level IV plates to give me another chance to dump another mag into any intruders.

in California body armor is baned as well as many other great tools, One of the reasons i came back to the great state of Oregon so I can dress how i want and use tools as i see fit, armor if you can aford it and want it should not have to be justified, In WWII the Oregon Gov. called on the local unpaid militia to protect the coast and roads from invasion, this militia supplied there own weapons and protection, as well as Maryland and other states. Lets not forget Germany who disarmed there people, if the Jews had a bullet proof vest in each home and a AK 47 would things had ben difernt for them, now they are a well armed nation and all there people own arms .

I wear a concealable level 3A and this moron at my work thinks that i'm paranoid. I tried to explain to him that it's for my safety and I kinda like wearing one because I am not a criminal and I can own and wear one. This same guy is the kinda person who thinks that what the TSA does to people is ok.... he is a moron and he looks at me like I'm nuts for wearing a vest once in a while. He is anti gun and he is ignorant. In the winter the vest keeps me warm and so I don't have to dress up too much. It's very comforting and it's also stab resistant so why not wear one. Also when I go shooting with friends I wear the vest just to be safe. I think it's a good idea to own a vest... concealable and or external because you never know when you will need one.

Well biggie sounds like your moron has been realy dumb down, many like him will be led to the internment camps and take whats given them with no resistance, expecting someone else to take care of them , do what there told,go were there told to go and comply.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top