JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some time back there was a guy wearing a vest at a public pistol range. I didn't think he was a LEO or worked in a position that would require a vest. We got to talking and I asked about the vest. He said "at a public range you don't know the guy shooing next to you, he may point his pistol your way while clearing a jam, he might have no idea what's he's doing and bounce one off the cement floor or me might be a nut that rents a pistol and decided to shoot you before shooting himself". Made a lot of sense, I protect my years and eyes why not my center mass when at the range?

Agreed, too many red flags on this thread...

What do you define as "better"? Dragon skin was heavier and useless when wet (i.e. you sweat too much or went out in the rain). The plates would shift and be useless in certain conditions. The interceptor body armor is superior by any standards I've seen for personal use.

FYI, with the Hollywood shootout you mentioned the perps only had armor on their torso...no helmets, groin protectors, leg covers, ect. LEOs just aimed center mass with 147gr 9mm JHPs- which was not too effective IMHO.

As for the why do I "need" body armor, I guess I can say why do you need to vote? I mean, the government has your best interest anyways, why even bother to vote? Why not just let them do whatever it is that they do so you can live in ignorance watching CNN, eating donuts and taking prozac.

I bought my first AR-15 in 2003...it just didn't have an adjustable stock, flash suppressor and I couldn't put a magazine over 10 rounds on it. If I indeed wanted to wear my body armor to do a shooting spree, you think I would've avoided legal issues by keeping it the status quo on the rifle? You think I would just leave a 10-rounder on it? What about California? They've had an AWB varient on record for YEARS- you think that AK and AR variants don't exist there?

+1000

Just because YOU (the OP) can not think of a reason why a civilian would "need" body armor, doesn't mean no one else can. Maybe I'd like to be prepared in case of a foreign invasion or SEVERE civil unrest where the criminals and alike might have body armor because "law's don't apply to them." Same argument for full-auto firearms. Bottom line is: "I should be able to buy/sell/eat/do ANYTHING I WANT as long as it's not hurting or affecting another individual in anyway." If my neighbor is scared of me because I want body armor and select-fire rifles, maybe he should talk to me and ask me why I want all this bubblegum. I'm sure it will all make sense to him as well.

I think the more appropriate question is, "Is there any reason why civilians shouldn't have access to body armor if they want it?"

I've got no problem with law abiding citizens owning whatever they heck they want, be it body armor or machine guns.

I understand there are some great forms of body-armour on the civilian market that may be even better than what the military uses (dragon-skin, which I've heard is better than interceptor armor despite failing a high profile military test)

I just can not fathom why a civilian would need the stuff, unless intent on some kind of shooting spree that winds up in a face-off with police, a civilian militia unit in case the government gets overthrown or some other oddball situation that may or may not happen. I think its pretty well known that a certain famous hollywood shootout, the perpetrators were dressed from head to toe in body armour.

Can someone please elaborate for those of us that don't know why there is a need for body armor? Since the assault weapons ban expired, civilians have access to some high-firepower weaponry but who in the heck would need body armor? Couldn't the ability for US Citizenry to purchase body-armor be abused and smuggled to Mexican drug cartels, criminals or other enemies of the state? There is nothing in the 2A that states that the public needs to be protected from firearms, on top of bearing them.

Reason#1: Going duck hunting with Dick Cheney.

Body Armor wont stop a head shot, so if the bad guys get some armor a decent marksman can neutralize the threat pretty quickly.
Just sayin'

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads