JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is pulling the trigger as part of the disassembly process a bad/undesirable design?

• Yes, I much prefer firearms that do not require the trigger to be pulled during disassembly.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • No, there is nothing wrong it, just confirm the weapon status and practice safe firearm handling.

Votes: 66 78.6%
  • Unsure, I don’t know enough about the mechanical workings of firearms so I reserve judgment.

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
I was part of that discussion.

While I believe in 4 safety rules, having a disassembly method that does not involve pulling the trigger is a positive thing that should be recommended, so new shooters learn to pull it only when they intend to open fire. A design that forces you to pull the trigger and provides no other options is, IMHO, fundamentally flawed; you should not have to develop that reflex/habit.

Habits and safe handling > everything else. Whether it's practicing your draw, building trigger finger discipline, checking chambers, or malfunction clearing, everything needs to be hard wired. When I practice weapon manipulation, I always start with chamber check practice. I specifically train to press check, and pause for a full second to let what I see sink in, instead of making a half-assed press-shut motion.

"I thought it was empty" is a way of saying, "I didn't check the chamber." If you do what you're supposed to to, you won't have problems.

I was taught to depress and hold the trigger while gently lowering the bolt handle down into the closed position on a bolt action rifle.
That way, the firing pin is not cocked when the bolt is returned to battery.

I know everyone seems to think this is just a feature of new guns it has been used for well over a century now. Even the 1891 Mosin needs the trigger pulled to remove the bolt.........

So I'm going to assume dry fire practice is safe, but taking apart a unloaded gun to clean it is unsafe?

Nothing wrong with having to pull the trigger to disassemble a gun as long as you practice safe gun handing rules.:s0155:

I don't care to dry fire. I broke a shot gun firing pin years ago dry firing. Like some of you I de cock my rifle firing pins as well. I make a careful brass check before pulling the trigger to disassemble anything.

All of my striker fired pistols require a trigger pull to take down (Glocks and PPQs). I have no issue with it, but I can see why some police departments prefer a platform that doesn't.

If you are to stupid to disassemble a weapon because of pulling the trigger, you are just plan to stupid to operate that gun at ANY time.

If you follow the saftey rules there is no problem.

Maybe just maybe they did it that way so Darwin will have a chance.

There is a problem with this poll though, the choices are not accurate.

There is a difference between someone that "prefers" and a person that thinks it is a "bad idea".

There might be people that do not find anything unsafe about pulling the trigger but still prefer to have guns that do not require it. In my case I find nothing wrong with guns that have external safeties but I prefer to carry ones that do not have them.

It's a horribly unsafe practice, as long as you only follow one rule of gun safety at a time. If you can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, then you should be able to follow all four rules and not have an issue.

But, I will remind, rack the slide several times. Lock the slide back. Visually inspect the chamber. Physically check the chamber. Then lower the slide and continue disassemble. Extractors fail. Don't rely on them to clear your chamber. Always double check. If you don't it's not if you'll get bit, it's when.

to answer the question - no

If I say what I want to about stupid anal retentive children I will get in trouble, oops.

Reading up about the origins of this thread, I now understand. Glock, it figures. Why would anyone want a gun that "any idiot can use"? Just get an "I am an Idiot!" bumper sticker. Lots cheaper.

But I guess Gaston is counting on all of their dollars and continued support.

There is no substitute for safe gun handling; loaded, unloaded, safe or not. Having to pull the trigger to disassemble is not a design flaw and there is nothing wrong with it. Anytime the trigger is pulled the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction. It's pointed at something for all intents and purpose I could destroy.

So I'm going to assume dry fire practice is safe, but taking apart a unloaded gun to clean it is unsafe?

Dry firing is still firing, just without ammo - you simulate the conditions, "play-pretend", pull the trigger to imitate the act of shooting.

A design that insists on the trigger having 2 very conflicting functions (pulling for firing, pulling for making firing impossible) is known to lead to numerous AD/NDs - yes, because those people did not follow the safety rules (were too tired, drunk, careless, inexperienced, whatever). And some people will always make those mistakes because they are people, not pieces of machinery. A design that makes disassembly just a bit safer (or more "idiot-proof" if you will) cannot be a bad thing, can it?

Almost every striker fired pistol half cocks the striker when you rack the slide. Why wouldn't you want to release the striker spring before disassembly? Just makes sense to me. You could do it with the slide released but it really doesn't matter.

I dry fire all the time, what's the big deal?

What about people around AD/NDs (family, friends, neighbors, bystanders) - are they also expendable?

What about them? Negligent discharges can happen with any gun, but as long as the safety rules are being followed there should be no problem. An ND into the sub floor of my house is going to hurt my man hood, my pocket book and my ears. Safe gun handling with any firearm is rule number one.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top