JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Friggin' ATF. I contacted Kevin at OFF to ask that question and here's a C&P of his response.
You are confused because nobody knows what is going on.

https://blog.refactortactical.com/blog/ar-pistol-laws/

The ATF is perfectly happy to tell you something is legal and then arrest you for it. And we can in NO WAY tell you what these clowns will do next.
Trump's bump stock fiasco is a perfect example of what kind of mess can be made.

It APPEARS (no guarantee at all and we are not lawyers and even lawyers would be guessing) that you can remove the brace and be in compliance.

But that is not a sure thing and they did require the destruction of the bump stocks. But even that does not seem like it would be in effect immediately.

I would guess, and as I said that's all it is, a guess, that if you are worried you should just remove the brace from the pistol.

This is all going to court. As is everthing else.

Kevin Starrett

Presence of a brace does not the pistol make. In other words, as long as the firearm meets the other requirements of a 'pistol', you should be good to go. The brace was always an 'add-on' for stability, not a requirement to meet the regs.

If you remove your brace, does your "pistol" meet the legal definition of a pistol? If so then yes, it is a pistol. If it does not meet the definition, then it is another firearm and you will have to determine what that firearm is based on the definitions. As long as it has a receiver and capable of firing, it will always be a firearm of some kind and not just parts.

Bunch of parts, needs to be listed for sale at 50-60 percent of what you paid!

;)

Well that was a decent article right up until the end, "As the ATF zeroes in on more draconian AR pistol laws, now is the time to make the move to the Maxim Defense Pistol System."

Apparently it is an advertisement. Why spend less than $50 on a standard buffer tube when you can spend $150-$400 on a proprietary one.........

Yeah I watched it and one or two others he did on the subject. However being old and slow I was a might confused about it all. Pissed too.

Well that was a decent article right up until the end, "As the ATF zeroes in on more draconian AR pistol laws, now is the time to make the move to the Maxim Defense Pistol System."

Apparently it is an advertisement. Why spend less than $50 on a standard buffer tube when you can spend $150-$400 on a proprietary one.........
I bought this kit. I need to take my brace off in put a buffer tube, buffer and spring in. It also includes an attachment point for a sling as well if you buy the package. But I believe they sell individual parts as well.

https://www.maximdefense.com/product/gen-7-cqb-pistol-system/

I bought this kit. I need to take my brace off in put a buffer tube, buffer and spring in. It also includes an attachment point for a sling as well if you buy the package. But I believe they sell individual parts as well.

https://www.maximdefense.com/product/gen-7-cqb-pistol-system/
To each their own.

For under $20 I can get a pistol buffer tube. Need a sling point, there are plenty different styles to be had for under $20. Here is an example of a full kit for $33, https://a1armory.com/ar-15-parts/ar-15-pistol-buffer-foam-tube-kit-w-dual-sling-end-plate/

If you like the $150-$400 version go for it. It looks like a good kit.

If one is going to spend $150-400 to keep their AR pistol a "pistol" why not just SBR it?
Mostly losing the legal reasons for owning a pistol vs SBR. Depending on the state, you can carry the firearm loaded, don't need permission to cross state lines, and technically not have it registered.

Old arguments that still hold true. We've see 2 plus years of government expanding powers they don't possess but with single party powers no one has reined them in. They show what they want in 114. Why help them with extra paper trails?

If one is going to spend $150-400 to keep their AR pistol a "pistol" why not just SBR it?
Because the rules for pistols is different than SBR. The two main ones I can think of off the top of my head is that I can legally carry a loaded pistol open or concealed, in or out of my vehicle. The second is that I do not need to ask for permission to travel across stateliness with my pistol.

***looks like we posted at the same time****

Because the rules for pistols is different than SBR. The two main ones I can think of off the top of my head is that I can legally carry a loaded pistol open or concealed, in or out of my vehicle. The second is that I do not need to ask for permission to travel across stateliness with my pistol.

***looks like we posted at the same time****
This is why I will certainly keep at least one AR pistol. Even if I have to get rid of the brace its not hard to learn to shoot it well with just the sling and its still a pistol so I can keep it with me in a vehicle.
Kind of like the foam covered buffer and will I am sure get one after the brace has to go.

No mention of constructive intent/possession (didn't read/watch any links) of a stock for the "pistol"?
The WA lawyer video did not have anything about it. My "guess" is assuming we lose and they take the braces to get into trouble with the intent thing someone would have to be really working to tweak the Feds. There is so many braced pistols now because the Feds allowed this to go on for so damn long that its going to be a mess. Now if we lose and someone flaunts it in the face of the Fed boys they may make an example out of one just for pissing them off.

Which goes back to the original premise; just because we have the absolute, God given right to protect ourselves, and the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, It does not mean that we should flaunt our possession of those arms. Yes, you've got a gun, big deal. Don't wave it around and make a big deal of it. There's no reason to attract attention to yourself on this issue. I had a friend a while back whose truck was broken into several times and guns were stolen. Why? Because he had pro-gun stickers all over his truck - He advertised that he had guns, therefore he became a target. NOT SMART!!!

This is why I will certainly keep at least one AR pistol. Even if I have to get rid of the brace its not hard to learn to shoot it well with just the sling and its still a pistol so I can keep it with me in a vehicle.
Kind of like the foam covered buffer and will I am sure get one after the brace has to go.
Just shoot from the hip.

Which goes back to the original premise; just because we have the absolute, God given right to protect ourselves, and the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, It does not mean that we should flaunt our possession of those arms. Yes, you've got a gun, big deal. Don't wave it around and make a big deal of it. There's no reason to attract attention to yourself on this issue. I had a friend a while back whose truck was broken into several times and guns were stolen. Why? Because he had pro-gun stickers all over his truck - He advertised that he had guns, therefore he became a target. NOT SMART!!!
I get what you are saying. I get tired of the ownership of all crimes coming back to us and not the criminal. The guy whose car gets stolen by the bank robber is never blamed.

I don't post anything on my vehicles mainly because my wife uses them. I'd hate for her to go off on somebody. Seriously, we continuously take the L, when it comes to speech because law makers label it as threats. It cost money and time to reclaim your rights when it happens.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top