JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was wondering if this new proposed ATF pistol brace ban includes rimfires, or is it just centerfire?
Until the rule actually drops it's not 100% that there won't be any exclusions, but I wouldn't bet on any. Previous rule proposals only denoted firearm characteristics... not calibers. In that event, rimfires would also be reclassified along with everything else.

....to the best of my knowledge.

Is it just me or is everyone else sick of all this bullbubblegum going on
I'll be keeping all the items they ban they can shove it where the sun don't shine

Is it just me or is everyone else sick of all this bullbubblegum going on
I'll be keeping all the items they ban they can shove it where the sun don't shine

"I'll be keeping all the items they ban they can shove it where the sun don't shine"

If that's truly how you feel then I don't see why you needed to respond to this thread. Talking that big boy talk I assume you've already swapped out all your braces with stocks right??? o_O

"I'll be keeping all the items they ban they can shove it where the sun don't shine"

If that's truly how you feel then I don't see why you needed to respond to this thread. Talking that big boy talk I assume you've already swapped out all your braces with stocks right??? o_O
I think it would be more appropriate to cut our barrels down to 1 inch AND stick an oil filter on the end AND swap the braces out with a stock. They'll never know it's a gun. I promise

The reason I ask is because I lived in California years ago when there was an assault weapons ban. And the way they determined what constituted an 'assault weapon' was by characteristic. Much like this ridiculous point system they've come up with for the pistol brace ban. You have a certain amount of characteristics listed, then you've got an assault weapon. And rimfires were excluded from this ban, only center fires were targeted. So it's not out of the question this would be a similar situation. Here's a page from the 'Assault Weapons Identification Guide'

Attachments

• C7453086-D5BF-403F-BF78-4BC34A0E1807.jpeg
    C7453086-D5BF-403F-BF78-4BC34A0E1807.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 42
  • C3C2978F-009A-465F-96DF-20BB1A9945AF.jpeg
    C3C2978F-009A-465F-96DF-20BB1A9945AF.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 40
So you could legally put a folding stock and other offending features on your 10/22 all you want and it was not against the law. Who's to say for sure this isn't the case with this. Unless you've actually read the written verbiage of it personally, it's just speculation, isn't it?
You can even see number 3 on the first page is speaking of SBRs

"A semi automatic center fire rifle with an overall length less than 30 inches in length"

Again, rimfires we're not included in the banning of short barreled rifles.

Last Edited:
So you could legally put a folding stock and other offending features on your 10/22 all you want and it was not against the law. Who's to say for sure this isn't the case with this. Unless you've actually read the written verbiage of it personally, it's just speculation, isn't it?
You can even see number 3 on the first page is speaking of SBRs

"A semi automatic center fire rifle with an overall length less than 30 inches in length"

Again, rimfires we're not included in the banning of short barreled rifles.
It's not really speculation, no.

The criteria of the example and for SBR's is different and don't really apply to each other, IMO.

The nutshell. AW ban''s are emotion based arguments solely on what a firearm looks like and selling the public on fear and "weapons of war". Rimfire is simply too far of a stretch to fit in the BS they are selling so they must make the allowance to maintain some kind of validity. "Cause to exempt".

The braced pistol issue is based entirely on the perceived increased danger due to concealability of the firearm. Regardless of caliber or what a firearm happens to look like. The NFA is already on the books so it's much easier for gun grabbers to exploit it for goobermental control and regulation. There is also nothing compelling them "not" to include rimfire as there is in their AW ban fiction. Ergo.... "No Cause to exempt"

Just my opinions, but I have read the previous proposed rules the alphabets put out and there was no such rimfire exclusion. I'm not saying it's not possible, in some universe, they added an exemption... but I can't for the life of me think of any reason they would. I would put it in the "when bubblegum don't stink" file.

I tend to agree with your logic. There's no reason for them not to include rimfires. I've just been curious about this and since I couldn't find any info I thought I'd post the question here.

I tend to agree with your logic. There's no reason for them not to include rimfires. I've just been curious about this and since I couldn't find any info I thought I'd post the question here.
Completely valid question, IMO. Rimfire are nearly always an exemption in firearm regulation. SBR's though we're facing the perception that all SBR's are high power long guns converted into concealable weapons... and not what many of them actually are. Pistol and lower caliber firearms made more effective and manageable than a handgun for SD purposes.

Faced with getting hit by a 9mm lungintor round out of an SBR and a .45ACP hand cannon... I'll take the SBR lungintor, please! 🤣

Ok, I must have missed something. When the hell did pistol braces become a consideration to ban?
Also, is there a timetable and what qualifies it as a pistol brace(not aware of the difference, only have rifle stocks), and where can I get some?

Ok, I must have missed something. When the hell did pistol braces become a consideration to ban?
Also, is there a timetable and what qualifies it as a pistol brace(not aware of the difference, only have rifle stocks), and where can I get some?
ATF has been making noise about doing away with them for a while. They keep kicking the can down the road but a ban is coming with the current administration. The only reason this is taking this long is they let so damn many of the things get made and sold that now its going to be a little harder than it would have been. We all could see it coming. People were pushing the envelope of "brace" to the point it was easy to see the Feds were going to finally do something. The "nice" thing to do would be just get rid of the stupid rule on SBR's but, I think we all know that is just not going to happen right now.

The "nice" thing to do would be just get rid of the stupid rule on SBR's but, I think we all know that is just not going to happen right now.
Yup. Once a gooberment steals a slice of freedom from the people... death to us all before they will ever yield it back. It doesn't matter how stupid the idea that a mid sized firearm shooting the same bullets as the little ones or the big ones is categorically more dangerous than them both.

Keep riding that horse till it drops dead.

This is the problem, so many attacks on our rights and some people have zero idea. No offense here meant, we need a better way of getting the information out there.

This is the problem, so many attacks on our rights and some people have zero idea. No offense here meant, we need a better way of getting the information out there.
None taken, I wish there was a better way as well. Hell, I had to use my google fu just to figure out what the difference was between rifles, pistols and SBRs. Apparently only takes a misuse of a brace, using a vertical grip and/or stock on a short barrel rifle and your screwed. That is such a minute difference that it's crazy that it's even a thing, given how easy it is to accidentally do one of those things without even knowing it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top