JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I plan to use a muzzloader this year for hunting and want to work on finding a good accurate load this summer. I'm trying to select several bullets and then work up some loads for each to see what works best. Many of the bullets have sabots and the internet is full of opinion on the pros and cons, much of it dated. I did find this article which claims that sabots aren't as messy as they used to be: How to Clean an Inline Muzzleloader

The issue of plastic fouling from sabots has been a bit overstated. With the latest formulations of polyethylene, it is not the issue that it once was.

I'm very interested in current opinion here. Should I look at saboted bullets or is it too much hassle?

To answer my own question, using Hornady 250 grain saboted bullets, I found I would have to clean after about three rounds -- the fourth one was very hard going. Cleaning itself was easy -- this is an inline muzzleloader so I just ran a couple patches and a bore snake. No big deal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top