JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lock is a fairly easy fix most of the time...Till Mr. Murphy steps in to "help out" ... :D

Take it apart and give it a good cleaning is helpful...as is a mainspring vise.
Be aware that many antique muzzle loading firearms do not have a half cock notch or setting....so...what can appear broken really ain't.

Many times it is simply a matter of replacing a worn spring , sear or tumbler.
The big issue here , is finding the proper sized replacement...that said...a little bit of file work or sanding can work here.

What seems to be the issue with your rifle...?
Andy

Thanks, Andy. It's a Springfield 1861 which I believe to be original, except for the lock and ramrod, which I believe are replacements. The gun does not hold half or full cock but I can feel the spring tension on the hammer when it's pulled back.

Ahh....
The '61 should hold at a half cock ....
A good lock cleaning...and a re-touching with a file on the hammer notch , sear or tumbler may do the trick here.
Sure wish we were closer...I have done this many times ( successfully :D ) .
As for the rear sight...I haven't replaced of re-attached one of those.....yet.
Andy

Ahh....
The '61 should hold at a half cock ....
A good lock cleaning...and a re-touching with a file on the hammer notch , sear or tumbler may do the trick here.
Sure wish we were closer...I have done this many times ( successfully :D ) .
As for the rear sight...I haven't replaced of re-attached one of those.....yet.
Andy
Would it be safe to remove the lock from the stock even if I can't keep the hammer cocked (hey, that rhymes!) If I could just take a peek inside there I think I could figure out what needs to be changed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top