JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a muzzleloader for a rare hunt I have planned this year for muley. It must meet Oregons hunting restrictions. I would like 50 or 54 cal so it can be used for elk too. I prefer using patched round ball. Price is not a factor if quality and my wants are met.

All my serious centerfire rifles are synthetic stainless. I would like the same for a muzzle loader as this last season I was soaked in slush and rain through some of the season. I would like a adjustable aperture sight with max sight radius. I can mount my own if needed but already configured would be easier. I don't care if it is inline or side lock.

All the new ones I see for sale have short sight radiuses and faster twists and not many to choose from. Shopping for used, I see a few stainless but few that meet Oregons restrictions. I did notice models no longer produced that may work, like a Marlin inline percussion.

Any suggestions on some current or past produced models that would meet my criteria?

I would suggest a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 caliber.
Please note that this rifle is out of production...and has a wood stock along with blue and browned carbon steel.
I know you said you wanted a synthetic stock and stainless ....
But a wood stock and metal with a very light coating of RIG gun grease rubbed into the stock and metal will be fine in any rain.
Andy

I am looking for a muzzleloader for a rare hunt I have planned this year for muley. It must meet Oregons hunting restrictions. I would like 50 or 54 cal so it can be used for elk too. I prefer using patched round ball. Price is not a factor if quality and my wants are met.

All my serious centerfire rifles are synthetic stainless. I would like the same for a muzzle loader as this last season I was soaked in slush and rain through some of the season. I would like a adjustable aperture sight with max sight radius. I can mount my own if needed but already configured would be easier. I don't care if it is inline or side lock.

All the new ones I see for sale have short sight radiuses and faster twists and not many to choose from. Shopping for used, I see a few stainless but few that meet Oregons restrictions. I did notice models no longer produced that may work, like a Marlin inline percussion.

Any suggestions on some current or past produced models that would meet my criteria?
I've got an extra Oregon legal one I am not using and likely won't use again. I have upgraded since I the rules in Washington have gotten a bit looser.
Shoot me a PM and I will do the same. Nice thing about muzzle loaders is they can be shipped and traded without the paperwork!

If you are dead set on stainless synthetic, the chances of finding one that has a twist rate to accurately shoot a patched round ball are slim. Andy gives sound advice here as usual.

Don't make it harder than it has to be.

If you want a stainless, I recommend not being married to a round ball, get a "Northwest" model of any CVA. All the "Northwest" accura v2 models come with peep sights and are all legal in Oregon. The "Northwest" optima and wolf models have iron sights, but you can change to a peep site, EABCO makes a rail with integrated peep sight that fits all the optima, accura, and wolf models. I highly recommend "no excuses" projectiles:

Use the No Excuses bullet sizing kit so you get the best fit in whatever gun you actually purchase

If you buy a non-northwest model CVA wolf, optima, or accura, CVA sells a northwest model conversion breach plug kit that is easily installed and makes it legal in oregon.

Last Edited:
Something to consider here with twist rates....

I have seen many rifles with a fast twist rate like 1-25 or so....shoot well with patched lead round ball.
I know "conventional wisdom" says that a fast twist is only for conicals and like...but I have seen and shot otherwise.

With all that said....
Many modern muzzle loaders , to include those set up for patched lead round ball...
Have a shallow depth of rifling.
Which can lead to a faster rate of fouling.
However....this really only matters when shooting a lot , like in a rifle match...it may not be an issue when hunting.
Since not many shots are taken.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews